Update on upcoming features and some recent discussion topics and events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavilier210

Master endo
ok first off, you can back off with the way you just approached me and try again. I have a hard time responding sensibly because I’m a little pissed how you went about that. So try again, And I’ll give a response based on what I see, and know to be true. I will say that you are wrong about rust not being an “mmo.” I don’t care how many hours you have in game. Steam literally categorized that game as an mmo. People who are paid to make those decisions placed that title on there. Even if it didn’t have that title, that detail alone doesn’t really impact the point I’m making on the popularity of pvp. Also about me being “delusional” and being the only one “who talks about this crap” lol you are ranked “endo” on this forum, that means you might not have been around long, unless you haven’t posted much, and felt compelled because you seem triggered by my post. Surf the forum a little more. Try again.

Don't worry man, I talk about this "crap" too. ;)

blazemonger

Veteran endo
Steam literally categorized that game as an mmo.
So, if Steam told you to wear a yellow hat to best enjoy playing Starbase you'd do that and call out anyone who does not I guess? While I can't say for sure as I do not know, I would expect those labels to be set by the devs and from that, they are mostly a way for the game to show up in Steam users profiles. In other words, your basic marketing tool.

RUST is not an MMO. You only need to look at the server cap and pop to see this. at best 350 slots and mostly double digit active players with some exceptions in the mid hundreds and weekly wipes in most cases. That is not an MMO, it is a non persistent multiplayer sanbox survival game.

Personally I'd not categorize any game which runs on dedicated/private server as an MMO as the limitations of this model prevents large populations. While not part of the literal definition, I'd say that for a game to be a (sandbox) MMO, it needs to have persistence and no fixed player cap at least.

J.D.

Veteran endo
So, if Steam told you to wear a yellow hat to best enjoy playing Starbase you'd do that and call out anyone who does not I guess? While I can't say for sure as I do not know, I would expect those labels to be set by the devs and from that, they are mostly a way for the game to show up in Steam users profiles. In other words, your basic marketing tool.

RUST is not an MMO. You only need to look at the server cap and pop to see this. at best 350 slots and mostly double digit active players with some exceptions in the mid hundreds and weekly wipes in most cases. That is not an MMO, it is a non persistent multiplayer sanbox survival game.

Personally I'd not categorize any game which runs on dedicated/private server as an MMO as the limitations of this model prevents large populations. While not part of the literal definition, I'd say that for a game to be a (sandbox) MMO, it needs to have persistence and no fixed player cap at least.
that has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.. wearing a yellow hat etc, that didn’t even make sense. What does mmo mean? Massively Multiplayer Online. Where does the multiplayer, and mass multiplayer line divide? That, I don’t know for sure, and I won’t pretend to try to know. It sounds like that’s what you are doing. If steam says it’s an mmo, it’s an mmo. By the way, rust has 500 pop servers on official now. I’ve said before, I don’t think you are qualified to make that call. You just sound entitled. If I’m wrong, prove it. Show me something that dictates the difference. Not just your personal opinion. Where does multiplayer, and mmo divide? Regardless. This is petty, and has little to do with the point I was making when I posted. I’m not interested in talking about rust as the focus in this forum, but more of an example for just how popular pvp is by using a game that has the most brutal kind there is, and then pointing out that it is one of the leading games on steam, while understanding Rust’s allowance of unrivaled toxicity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.