Why does the ship designer allow clipping if you can't purchase a ship with clipping

I spent 167 hours from the time I wake to the time I sleep designing a ship because I just loved the game that much, only to find out that my ship cannot be built because I used clipping profusely in my ship's design. If the editor obviously has the ability to detect clipping, and ships with clipped parts aren't allowed, why does the editor even allow me to make that mistake in the first place? Why does it take for someone to finish what they're designing and hit the buy button to finally find out that they're entire design is illegal? Not to mention I only have parts clipping because any shape more complicated than a square requires either a series of gaps or clipping in some combination due to the shape and nature of the piece selection.

Quite literally gut wrenching that I wasted so much time designing something that I cannot build. The fact that I was even allowed to make this mistake.

Edit: Seemingly not all of the overlap is being screened out by the editor, most of it is "tolerable"? Still problematic that you're allowed to do something that is only made an issue at checkout

Last edited:

Womble

Veteran endo
That looks like outstanding, painstaking work, and the final effect is impressive. Congratulations would be in order. Such a shame that the editor doesn't disallow techniques the builder can't cope with. It strikes me that allowing clipping might be an easier approach to "closing the weld gap" than adding the space-filling welds they've got in the pipeline. And more general-purpose.

Agree with you Jiasen (awesome build by the way). The criteria for overlap should be looked at. Had some similar incidents (although not even close as cool looking as yours).