Wondering how paint works

Hi, im currently NOT a CA player (i have no experience in or with the game), but im hoping to become one and i was wondering if players can make images in paint or take from google and import them to the game, so that players can have the picture or illustration painted on a ship and or base/station? I made this small photo in paint just for fun, and im wonderig if you currentluy can use it as for say some sort of stamp/signature so put on your ship/base?
Killer Bee signature.png
(Yeah thats me, the Killer Bee ;P )
If not in the game, do you guys think it would be a cool thing the devs can add or just silly?

XenoCow

Master endo
There isn't any way to paint decals onto your ship like that, but you could probably paint some very small plates to match that image. Right now when you paint an armor plate, the entire plate is colored that color. There are a few people who have made some pixel art using the small 12x24x12 or 24x24x12 cm plates, you could too if you have the room on your ship.

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Decal Tool is in the works, so it should eventually be added in game. Lot of the design work is still being made, so I cannot say for sure how the tool would work and in which ways players can add their designs. I doubt you could just take any image from the internet and simply import them to the game however, as there would be copy-right issues.

I doubt you could just take any image from the internet and simply import them to the game however, as there would be copy-right issues.
I agree , + they could be used to import inapropriate content , but a way to customize and paint your ships would be really smart and great.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Figured I would throw some ideas into the hat here for the decal tool's long term plans just in the case some of my ideas have not been thought of yet, though I highly doubt that.

If vetting player decals becomes an issue I wouldnt be against a system in which each decal imported has a small fee, but is available to all members of your faction/company. another MMO I played has an import for clan and alliance images to allow display of them on a shoulder patch, and the fee is ~$5(thats their fee, not what I am suggesting) in proccessing fees, but that system is for the entire clan or alliance respectively as its for their main logo. Having a system not too disimilar may be more monetarily long term viable for Frozenbyte, while allowing players more freedom. Alternatively the vetting could be croudsourced by a council of the playerbase, and left to its own devices as long as the vetting is done to Frozenbytes specs. If something makes it through that shouldnt have remove the users who voted the wrong way from the council automatically by having it all done through the starbase website.
Another option for long term viability is something like the steam community workshop (since this is going to be primarily if not exclusively a steam game from what I can tell) voting on things the players want added to the game (steam already has this system in place for developers), and then when they are added, just drop them in the prebuilt library of decals for all, minimizing repeated requests for the same or similar decals, while maximizing the time used to vet the images by only needing to check the things the community voted for.

I think colour shifting of different zones of a decal would be very useful for everyone, so you could for example, have a pinstripe with three colour channels, and the player when adding the decal to their ship gets to choose each colour channel and that gets saved on a per ship metadata basis. Having this on the library of default in game decals could add a significant ammount of reusability too, lessening the desire/need for player made decals too, and as such lessening the load on the vetting process for player implemented decals.

I was also thinking about this myself and I am hoping for a paint gun that you can spray and maybe paint pictures on your ships like how the bombshell girls were on ww2 bombers as well they could have a paint / decal design catalogue and if you buy a ship from the market that another player as uploaded maybe give you the option to have it with the design that the creator done or give you the option to have it all blank

Last edited: