The Problem with Capital ships...

This is a mess. Seeing this new announcement made me excited, now I am disappointed. This game is a sandbox MMO. But I can't destroy or do certain things that can be done but can't due to the game not allowing. That is not how sandboxes work. It literally describes what the game is and how it is a sandbox game in the steam page of Starbase.

"Set in a universe of vast scale and detail, the fully-destructible environment and hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics enable simulations in Starbase at immense depth, giving players the ultimate freedom to exploit their innovativeness and creativity. From constructing spaceships that can endure the hazards of space, such as collision and corrosive damages, to creating massive automated factories and designing electricity and data networks, the players are free to do it their own way."

But I can't even destroy a capital ship or make capital ships that endure the hazards of space. I am a ship designer and ship designers strive to make ships better and better and fix issues or combat piracy. Having capital ships indestructible takes away the concept of a fully destructible environment. A capital ship should just be a capital ship no matter what, you should be able to bring your capital ship into any war situation if you want to or even bring it into the belt. PvP wont work and when every ship is released from both capital ship's hanger bay and are destroyed during a fight, then what? You drive away and call it a day. This will kill piracy, and im a ship designer and I am complaining about piracy being killed off! Piracy is something you have to deal with in almost any sandbox game. This takes away so much from the game and what makes this game amazing.
BUT I HAVE A SOLUTION. BUT PLEASE LISTEN TO THE REASONS BEFORE YOU FREAK OUT ABOUT THIS!
Add Shields to CAPITAL SHIPS ONLY. I am against shields on small ships and shields on normal ships would just ruin the game. But shields on capital ships will make this so much easier fix. Shields protect everything around a ship, Things cant go inside the shield, only out. It would be like a glowing, translucent barrier that you can shoot at and some of it comes off. Turn it off and the shields slowly regenerate. Once a hole big enough is made, ships can go and board a ship. Taking the shields down for a split second when shields are damaged won't do anything if it slowly regenerates. When shields are down, the plating on a capital ship can be destroyed, but it would take a while but can be done.

Another thing, add the ability to make capital ships move slowly. Kinda makes things work a bit better but I would be fine if it weren't added

To any of the Frozenbyte developers reading this, please take this into consideration. I love Starbase because of you guys, and its because you listen. That's why I feel the need to make this post. I would hate to see capital ships stay this way.

Last edited:

Shulace

Well-known endo
No.

Like they said, if you wanna fight it out, make a military capital ship and blow other military capital ships up, not sure why you wanna shit on people minding their own business.

Military capital ship shields will nullify each other during war if you have same size shield and you can duke it out, according to the video.

Shulace

Well-known endo
then stay in the safe zone!

but having capital ships indestructible , you can pvp from this and no one can fight back!
Yeah, its a mobile base. You can pvp from yours too and no one can fight back! Probably makes sense not to fight on someone's doorstep wouldn't you say?

You can still grief miners in belts if that's your cup of tea, or be a real man and fight in the capital ship wars with no shield/safe zone.

Or you can stay in the safe zone as well.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
You can pvp from yours too and no one can fight back! Probably makes sense not to fight on someone's doorstep wouldn't you say?
The problem being that being able to attack people without them being able to attack back is that it's no fun for anyone except 12yros who think that being unstoppable is the most fun you can have in a videogame.

Another problem being that people can bring their "doorstep" straight towards yours! You literally can't fight back unless they have a "military" capitol and you have one that matches theirs!

Shulace

Well-known endo
The problem being that being able to attack people without them being able to attack back is that it's no fun for anyone except 12yros who think that being unstoppable is the most fun you can have in a videogame.

Another problem being that people can bring their "doorstep" straight towards yours! You literally can't fight back unless they have a "military" capitol and you have one that matches theirs!
I don't think you should be able to shoot from the safe zone(that much should have been obvious), I highly doubt they will make it that way. Only Novaquark are able to make gameplay changes and not think about gameplay impacts like that lmao.
We can argue this nonconsensual PvP any way you want, but ultimately it will give the smaller group an opportunity to get away rather than be griefed and lose everything.

Common sense dictates there will be a minimal distance you can park your civilian boat from another one, though, I don't think they stated that in the video.
They also stated that civilian caps cannot go into warzones, we just have to wait and see what these spaces are defined as eventually to get a better picture of how the whole process works.

this thing cost 10x more than a station, you get a warning of at least a day or 2 before being attacked at a station. if your going to play with the big boys and have a station, then get with other like minded players and build a station, create a community. this is a nation building game by the way it has been sold to the player base for over 2 years now. but please build a community, nation, alliance, get others together and become part of a bigger group to defend and attack. you can still be the little group of players in there working out of a community station. but creating a ship that cant ever be attacked... how is that ever fair!

casual players have the safe zone, that's what that is for!

Shulace

Well-known endo
this thing cost 10x more than a station, you get a warning of at least a day or 2 before being attacked at a station. if your going to play with the big boys and have a station, then get with other like minded players and build a station, create a community. this is a nation building game by the way it has been sold to the player base for over 2 years now. but please build a community, nation, alliance, get others together and become part of a bigger group to defend and attack. you can still be the little group of players in there working out of a community station. but creating a ship that cant ever be attacked... how is that ever fair!
Fair to who? I don't need anyone telling me how to play my game, I am not telling you how to play yours, you are free to do whatever you want. After all, it is a sandbox game.
I don't know what you are talking about when you say how its been sold to the player base for 2 years now but here is what is on the steam page:

Capture1.PNG

And here on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

Capture2.PNG

Notice the "By yourself or with friends" phrase? Not anywhere in there did I see a "You must build a civilization to do cool things". You may be mistaken the premise with another game idk man.

you kinda owned yo
Fair to who? I don't need anyone telling me how to play my game, I am not telling you how to play yours, you are free to do whatever you want. After all, it is a sandbox game.
I don't know what you are talking about when you say how its been sold to the player base for 2 years now but here is what is on the steam page:

View attachment 2316

And here on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

View attachment 2317

Notice the "By yourself or with friends" phrase? Not anywhere in there did I see a "You must build a civilization to do cool things". You may be mistaken the premise with another game idk man.
*shows starbase description* You kinda messed up there
It says right there
"Set in a universe of vast scale and detail, the fully-destructible environment and hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics enable simulations in Starbase at immense depth, giving players the ultimate freedom to exploit their innovativeness and creativity. From constructing spaceships that can endure the hazards of space, such as collision and corrosive damages, to creating massive automated factories and designing electricity and data networks, the players are free to do it their own way."
Fully desctructible??? HMMMMMM kinda proves my point.

shado20

Veteran endo
I don't need anyone telling me how to play my game, I am not telling you how to play yours, you are free to do whatever you want. After all, it is a sandbox game.
but you are telling me how to play my game, i wanna push over your sandcastle, After all, it is a sandbox game!

ohh im gonna be honest im going to abuse the crap outta civilian capitol ships as a mega we are gonna abuse these to destroy small pop players and farm them. this new gameplay loop is going to allow megas to become a toxic force of nature. Litterally i can park my ship outside a civilian capitol ships door and they literally cant exit it. This is going to become an amazing asset for greifing players when you have an invincible greifing base to pick on weaker players

military capitol ships disables station sheild and warp gate sheilds get rolled. Military capitols disable all protection zones except for civilian capitols which can only carry so much since its limited. so we will get a majoirty of your loot even if you hid some of it on civilian capitols.

Lastly you cant even build capitols without a station so unless you have some friends good luck even getting over the first hurdle before I raid your main base. Lol Literally large groups will raid people who are even beginning a civilian capitol ship at their station because we know you have resources we can take. so any group outside the safe zone will probably get raided before they can begin their capitols anyways so they will not be a big thing. But you say i can build a capitol in the safe zone right. Well yes you can but remember you will either have to purchase or mine rare mats outside the safe zone and we will be waiting with that new handy dandy radiation radar to find you and raid you. Lastly many large groups will also have bot account at the auction house to auto buy rare mats so trying to buy them will be like trying to beat that bots in the wow auction house good times there. So overall this patch has made this game an amazing pvp experience for mega zergs that will be coming to take your stuff.

shado20

Veteran endo
and you seem to miss the
" The multitude of fine-detailed simulations in the game allow the players the ultimate freedom to conquer space and unleash their creativity. "

Shulace

Well-known endo
and you seem to miss the
" The multitude of fine-detailed simulations in the game allow the players the ultimate freedom to conquer space and unleash their creativity. "
We can nitpick this all day everyday but the developers do not intend, evidently at this point, to lock out solo/small groups of players from different content.

Hence the civilian capital ships.

Until they come out and say; "Hey guys, we want this to be a big org, civilization game, you shouldn't be able to have these things in solo, small groups", I will keep looking forward to this game, if they do come out and say that, then it just won't be a game for the masses and stay a niche game where most people can't recommend it to their friends.

Even Elite Dangerous knew the benefit of private sessions, they still have a thriving PvE base to this day, even growing. This seems like Frozenbytes' version of the private session to make the game more accessible to the masses. Fun fact; the Elite Dangerous pro pvp whiners still whine to this day about private sessions and the average daily player count has more than doubled since 2016 lul.

The truth is; its nice to have the option to pvp, but a game like this won't die without it, even if it is just a side attraction. Just like Elite Dangerous.