some ideas for the game

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
some ideas
-Alien/robot npc pirate ships/stations to attack and defend.

-bounties for creatures and their materials and bounties for the pirates aswell.

-treasure planet style sailboard to go to and from ship with mobility.

-Some creatures such as, Cosmic sea turtles, cosmic jellyfish, cosmic whales, cosmic sea dragons, cosmic fish of various kinds (for bounty variety) cosmic starfish, cosmic krakens, cosmic sharks, cosmic eel, cosmic etc etc.

-very very small moon biomes randomly generated. Example being a coral themed moon with cosmic creatures around that someone could one day build into and have a base.
volcanic themed moons, frost themed moons, sandy/beach themed moons. and if we really wanted to Forest, desert, mountain, jungle, ocean and etc themed very small proc genertaed moons that will host their own creatures/randomly generated terrain which again can later be built on and made bases into.

now how will we interact with creatures is very important also. pets/tames or no pets/tames.
we could have some smaller creatures or more docile ones be tamable and have farms etc. transporting them on ships to our other bases or simply keeping them locked in that environment. personally I like the idea of having small/farm/production type creatures be tamable but keeping all the bigger ones as a danger to all (bring weapons and hunt/kill them)

some examples of some bounties could be this.
-Bounty for a pirate base in neb prime (gives coords) eradicate them and bring back the pirate leaders journal to claim your reward.
-Bounty for Cosmic Orca x10 (you can have it active and as you run into them or actively hunt them randomly in space or near a Tundra micro moon.)
-Bounty Whale blubber x1,000
-bounty mammoth tusks x20

and so on like that with multiple different varieties.

now eventually when we have building and etc these items should server as some purpose. look at ARK, ATLAS and no mans sky. and rewards shouldnt only be credits.

now for Micro moons, These will be randomly generated so no one biome of moon is exactly the same in shape/layout and resources/animals spawns. They will also be roughly 1 quarter of the size of a normal space station. the terrain will be like minecraft where you can dig into and out the other side where everywhere on it is harvest able. That being said, for those who wish to make their base on it will need a way for a big group to not just come in and mine their beautiful bases. so a claiming system of the micro moon where one company purchases rights to that moon and makes only you able to destroy/reconstruct terrain on it. built bases and etc are fair game to raids tho ofc.

bringing space and danger with stuff to hunt down, materials, bounties and etc together making it not just go out mine asteroid, return sell or make parts repeat. havent played recently but im sure thats what its still mostly about atm. theres a reason ARK and ATLAS got so big, yea player interactions the main point but having consistent npc (dinos) or in this case aquatic/mythical creatues that bring life around you is important.

with all this I 100% guarantee this game will destroy most other games in sales and players. and I think it should be top priority to have the creatures/bounties and micro moons asap randomly spawning throughout space to give players something more to do and a place to call home. and building bases and etc ofc. which I would think the way asteroids are now you got most of it ready just enlarge and make it a themed micro moon.
just my suggestions but it would make a very good game and bring in many players

and for the micro moons having a large variety with different rarity and different resources (sometimes same with more rare added) for each type.

example maybe a crystal micro moon will be 1/100 chance and lets say a forest micro moon is 5/100 chance as examples. having a large variety and it all random so you gotta hunt for the right home and they wont ever be exactly the same due to proc generation. but having tons upon tons upon tons of them spawned would be super important so everyone has a new one to explore, new ruins to explore maybe new fossils to excavate. new pirates to eradicate and chances based on biome for what minerals spawn there. with it being a low chance for higher tier and so on. and so everyone has a place to make a base on one if they want. then maybe space stations outside of it and etc.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
I also suggest the tech trees go into just a skill journal where you theres unlocks for blueprints of things/how to learn them. and theres a skilling progression with things. such as all these will give xp by doing and higher levels will implement higher quality/the ability to unlock certain techs.
-paleontology, for fossils/plants.
-archeology for ruins/ancient structures you find on rng moons.
-Exploration where you discover key things on ruins, or certain types of moons to document and sell coords while levelling. (also travelling any distance gives a small amount of xp in the skill.
-cultivation, for growing things.
-mining
-engineering which allows you to build AI robotic drones / creatures to fight alongside you or help you harvest materials/ guard your bases from organic AI animals/dinosaurs/mythical creatures/players. the creation of auto turrets aswell and various building structures for bases/ships.

-Terraforming where you level it and can unlock in the tech tree the ability to terraform into whatever you want. Lava, Water, Salt water, Steep cliffs, caves, grasslands, tundra, snowy forest, desert etc etc.

-navigation/cartography, you will map your moons, unclaimed moons and routes (such as trade routes) allowing and being able to duplicate and sell them to companies wanting to trade with you or have a set route to somewhere. Example being I chart a trade route to my Micromoon forest base. I supply a ton of timber/rarer timber I got lucky to find on the micromoon with a very rare chance to spawn. I sell these charts in the auction house then have a safe terminal in orbit that allows trade out of range of guards/turrets where I have the prices listed. and the charted map they purchased in the stations linked up between all stations auction house. They input how much they want and it will say how much I have left available and my set price in the orbital terminal. Mapping your moons or unexplored moons is important as it cant be faked or scammed on whats there. for example if you map 5 ruins and an ocean micro moon it will state that in the blueprint. you can sell as many of these as you want but it will notify players what number of map its on. for example if you make 5 of them it will have (5) on it showing the buyers 4 others may already know if it and if they want to risk a fight, a lack of resources/ruins or if they want to buy it and beat them there hopefully. or even claim it.

-woodcutting
-fishing
-hunting
-bounty hunting
-salvage

the tech tree will branch off and all be unlockable in many areas only once you reach the skill level required for each tech in each category. for example you may discover a very rare top tier lvl 1,000 .001% resource or something but you cant harvest it unless you yourself have that level to unlock the tech to then manage/work with/harvest that tech and learn what it can be used for in various other things. so you may want to keep a map of it on you and level up or sell the coordinates in the auction house on the station to someone who has lvl 1,000 in it. different tiers of things/quality too. for example one metal will be allowed to make the drones/turrets with engineering but they wont be very effective compared to the top tier using very rare materials. lets say for the example theres 11 tiers of metals. t1 is lvl 1-100 then by 100 for each next tier. making professions important and allowing them to make more and create more from what they work the most on.

If I want to be a solo player and defend my base from invasions I can get my levels and focus in engineering/mining to unlock the tech to make fortified defenses. alternatively I can be like a tarzan jungle boy and stash in dug out caves/holes under bushes only I know where they are all my crates of stuff. but the wildlife may or may not be hostile there. theres many options.

and having Alien NPC pirates/cities as they roam out and attack/raid players bases, ships or etc so they are actively involved too. (can also be discovered on micro moons as something to attack/ use as an extra line of defence making an alliance with them and them working alongside you/being a trade partner and helping defend their home the micromoon and your base at the same time alongside you.) think of the wookies and kashyyyk basically but in various types of people with various types of tempers.

add any ideas of some skills to add. thats off the top of my head for a nice gameplay loop.

Last edited:

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
-navigation/cartography, you will map your moons, unclaimed moons and routes (such as trade routes) allowing and being able to duplicate and sell them to companies wanting to trade with you or have a set route to somewhere.
I mean technically speaking there's nothing really stopping you from doing something like that right now, outside of the lack of things to map or reasons for trade routes to be established. I don't think that sort of thing needs a concrete mechanic when it could realistically be left up to player ingenuity.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
I mean technically speaking there's nothing really stopping you from doing something like that right now, outside of the lack of things to map or reasons for trade routes to be established. I don't think that sort of thing needs a concrete mechanic when it could realistically be left up to player ingenuity.
I was thinking of a physical chart type item/chip that you input into your ship to auto pilot to. (or drone ships to do cargo runs for you) and the chart is imprinted with the info so it cant be just a random chart that says its this or that. its actually got the info on if its good. this could be used as traps too, ambushes and such. But the idea is it would mark resources/micro moons/ bases for trade, settlement, ruin exploration or creature hunting or civillization of a certain kind you have been looking foor (example fish people with a good temperament and can teach tech for underwater domes/bases. that kind of thing) and since all npc races/civs/pirates will be random finding a certain species with a certain desired tech or temper or military capabilities would be important.

something that would be cool to add is organic clones too. so you basically desire to take samples of dna from your co inhabitants and make a clone army (of reasonable size/upkeep ofc) similar to how you would the droid army I mentioned just organic and genetics/traits/things from the race of your choice.

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
I was thinking of a physical chart type item/chip that you input into your ship to auto pilot to. (or drone ships to do cargo runs for you) and the chart is imprinted with the info so it cant be just a random chart that says its this or that. its actually got the info on if its good.
Again: isn't all of this technically possible right now, at least in theory?

something that would be cool to add is organic clones too. so you basically desire to take samples of dna from your co inhabitants and make a clone army (of reasonable size/upkeep ofc) similar to how you would the droid army I mentioned just organic and genetics/traits/things from the race of your choice.
...Have you actually played this game at all? Not even saying your ideas are bad, but there comes a point where its not really a "suggestion" you're just describing an entirely new game.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
I'm getting a little sus of people with no posts showing up and begging for NPC's immediately...
It's a very popular sentiment outside of the forums (on the subreddit, in steam reviews, etc.) and it stands to reason that people would make accounts to suggest it directly here.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo

...Have you actually played this game at all? Not even saying your ideas are bad, but there comes a point where its not really a "suggestion" you're just describing an entirely new game.

I think it could easily work with the rest of my ideas tho, clones using a species dna isnt too outside of a space game. atm theres none of it I did play a little but the majority of it was grinding for a new ships after 2 of my purchased ships vanished out of the blue and the rest was me trying to see my brother as we stand in the same spot and try to pick eachother up to go mine which sometimes took hours or never let us so we logged or worked right away and we set out. but havent played since release really. It may sound like an entirely new game for my suggestions but its not like their current game has anything in it as is really or is a finished game so being in early access it can easily evolve to anything. but any suggestion compared to whats in the game right now would likely be considered a completely different game id think

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo

and I dont think any of this is possible in the current game, unless I missed some major updates for my ideas like, micro moons, skill trees of the variety I suggested, droid armies, building bases, turrets, npc wildlife, npc civilizations, npc pirates, things to bring life to an empty world with no players online

Technically I guess the building part is slightly possible but not as a real ground base, more like a build a ship crash it and then use its wreckage as a club house kind of (unless it despawns or is salvaged) not sure how that all works tbh. and navigation yea you can prob do it ina very basic way but my idea wasnt just navigation like that it was navigation/cartography where you physically imprint a charted coord map with a list of resources, micro moons and its inhabitants, ruins on it, rare resources, trade routes and creature hunting ground maybe pirate bases too. which none of its really in the game atm so I dont think anyone could do it in the way im trying to suggest (unless I havent noticed a major update which I havent been looking at their updates so if I did please let me know)

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
to me top priority needs to be giving life to the world through Npc so players can still live/explore/do things constantly in the game and then more and more will slowly add to it player wise until theres a large playerbase which will then bring in the pvpers seeing a lot of players they can train their bounty hunting on, salvaging and etc etc. but if we have lets say 100 players online max and your entire content is with those 100 players only and not influenced by npcs or anything then majority see that and dont want to join which keeps the player count down.

I know the games designed for pvp and the games designed for players not npc's but people really dont see how impactful on their experience a world full of npc life in all aspects is to then bring in those players which brings in more pvp players and gets it snowballing.

lets use ark as an example, If there were no bosses, no dino wildlife, and very basic resources, no base building and the only point to play was pvp but the maps massive like many many hours or days irl size and theres only like 100 players online if that... then would you say that sounds fun?

now compare this to if there was a consistent skill tree like I suggested, a way to make your own droid/clone armies, bounty hunting and many other professions you can master, ruins to explore, things to chart and sell to real players/trade routes. npc creatures roaming space (also part of bounty hunting and with their own crafting materials they drop as a harvest. i.e mammoth tusk, whale blubber etc etc.) Micro moons to explore/chart, rare resources to find, rare npc civilizations with random perks/tech/temper/strengths and weaknesses, a way to find the right species for you and clone their dna for your own npc army/automation industry/workers, bases to build, tech to unlock at certain levels, turrets and defenses to build, pirate npc bases and ships roaming around, and many other misc things to do and keep you playing even without people.

which sounds more appealing to play if only 100 people are online? but then you add onto this because anyone who sees this and goes oh theres a ton of stuff I can do start playing despite the low player base and some pvpers even. then as more and more snowball in the majority of pvpers and people wanting a universe full of real players start flocking in because the player count rises constantly and then you have your pvp and real player type game.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
thats kinda my point on it anyways and why im suggesting this to the devs as things I know many would like to play.

majority of gameplay even without my suggestions and as is would be grinding money/building ship and mining. which all dont even need other players around. Why not make a ton of the majority of the game enjoyable with gameplay loops and fun stuff/progression and a playstyle for many different players in the professions.
some people might like exploration,
others may like salvaging
others may like bounty hunting.
others may like hunting or fishing.
others may like secret bunkers with a droid/clone or mixed army to wage wars or defend.
others may like building really cool paradise bases
others may like building fully operation war bases
others may like mining for resources
others may like woodcutting
others may like making a fully functional clone/droid industrial base (using mining/woodcutting and other stuff)
others may like making ships to sell to people with a lot of players or a droid/clone army they can sell the clones and not lose the dna for certain types they have that people want.

others may like the archeology and paleontology side of things discovering things and possibly a rare dna to recreate a creature or sell ancient tech
others may like cultivation of farm lands and a full npc droid/clone industrial set up for it.
others may like underwater secret bases
others may like making a base inside a volcano
others may like a base in the trees (like ewoks/wookies)

others may like engineering and designing their own droids, whether humanoid or purely animal adding different tiers of weapons/or creative designs they can think of then selling them. engineering their ships (like in the game currently) engineering different techs and machinery such as automation/industrial or railguns. hell they could even design a giant animal type machine with multiple railguns on its back that people can stand on. or war machines for land, sea, space. they could design whatever they want with whatever they want if it with their creativity. war, industrial or whatever other machinery you can think of.

others may like terraforming a micro moon into something incredible, or turn the perfect ocean planet into a tundra, or a lava planet into a ocean planet. or an ocean planet making a single massive mountain and then having a hangar in its side as it soars above the water. then carving tunnels out within leading to secret bases and eventually on the ocean floor a tunnel leading from the mountain to a dome type underwater branches with whatever they want.

and many people will likely want to do multiple or all of these. some may hate some while loving others. the point is to have many options for many different types of people. this will make a vast type of playerbase and full economy. and will make those who love some things be able to grind and do it (enjoyably not annoying/boring type grind) to make it a full profession increasing everything about it for them.
like maybe a fisherman profession will be rare among the playerbase and so the entire games players will seek after some legendary materials/creatures youve caught and etc. but for each one. maybe mining will be the most common one to have people maxed out in professions. the idea is to make professions feel like a profession and really for those who actually enjoy the skill and make it their lifestyle basically, we dont want someone to just drop in a couple days and do a skill he hates to unlock it so he can have all these perks for it. we would want it to be those who truly love doing that skill so it comes naturally but will take a long time. We dont want 1 player to have all the skills maxed and hate them all but have them just for the content or just unlocking it to feel like he beat the game. instead it would be better to let those who love the skill and their professions sell to these people so they can do the skills they enjoy.

maybe someone only enjoys woodcutting, why? who knows maybe they irl used to be a logger and got injured and love logging but cant anymore. who knows but they only like logging, they hate every other skill. they have logged so much their passive xp as they played they could have maxed woodcutting 7 times over but they enjoyed it the entire time and use the money/trade resources from that to buy or fund anything else they need. maybe they buy clones/droids who are pack mules and industrial to make a fully operation timber farm on their forest micro moon. they supply all kinds of wood of different tiers and rarities and make their living on that. they then buy a ship or custom order one through people theyve met they know are good in those fields. and they never touch another skill.

thats the concept im trying to propose, where its not a game of you have to do everything (but if you enjoy it all you can for sure)

It's a very popular sentiment outside of the forums (on the subreddit, in steam reviews, etc.) and it stands to reason that people would make accounts to suggest it directly here.
A game that supposedly desires to have no NPC's. Which is pubnlicly know. See's an influx of brand new people who go to great lengths to try to sell NPC's and PvE in a PvP centric minimal NPC game... Uh huh... I'm not convinced.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
A game that supposedly desires to have no NPC's. Which is pubnlicly know. See's an influx of brand new people who go to great lengths to try to sell NPC's and PvE in a PvP centric minimal NPC game... Uh huh... I'm not convinced.
the game can desire whatever it wants, but the majority of players (sales/players playing the video game) desire more than just other players in a empty world. especially with no players ever online whenever I check the steamcharts so no players in a game that doesnt want npcs and only pvp with no players to pvp with or anything else to do because of a lack of npcs. im not a business expert but how would that ever succeed financially? or keep a steady playerbase.

and im not "brand new people" it even shows you when I joined under my name lol. january of 2020. And I posted these ideas months ago but deleted it thinking the devs wont ever read it anyways. but then recently reposted it in hopes they may one day read it.

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
like for real would you spend tons of money and effort making a game that has lost all of its players it seems and continue making it exactly the same way and expect a different result? if you open up a market booth for example and tons flock to it then never come back and you now have little to no one ever visiting your booth but lots of people saying why and they all say the same thing usually then who are your customers? are they ghosts? because if no ones there and the ones who previously visited your booth are saying what they would continue to return to your booth for doesnt it make sense that maybe you should make something your customers want? I know this examples extreme and yes the games early access and etc I get that and all

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
if there really is just a noticeable influx of new accounts being made that would mean many more who dont want to go to the effort have the same or similar thoughts if they arent playing the game currently. like imagine owning a restaurant and serving burgers without pickles and making it known you refuse to sell pickles. then you start losing customers and you're like "what... why?" and the biggest thing that everyone keeps saying is hey guys... can we get some pickles maybe? I like pickles. and many many many keep repeating this. Would the restaurant just say " these fake messages keep showing up constantly saying they want pickles. how ridiculous we made our restaurant specifically to never sell pickles ever, if they dont like that they can take their business elsewhere." and then they do... lol or the same scenario without fries. idk just seems like a really bad idea to ignore such a majority of potential customers. why not give the customers what they want and options for other things too? fries, drink, pickles, may, mustard, ketchup, chicken strips etc etc. why restrict it to burgers without pickles. maybe im wrong. maybe the majority love this game a ton as is and dont want to see any of my suggestions or npcs or whatever else others suggest. but the player count makes me think thats not the case

Iron Maiden

Learned-to-sprint endo
ultimately im just brainstorming ideas for the devs in hopes they read it and seeing what the players would think of/add to any of the ideas. maybe it will spark inspiration for ideas for other players suggestions, or for the devs in their plans. will the devs ever actually read any of this? eh doubt it. never have on anything else ive previously posted over the years and I go into great detail and explain possible issues and how to avoid them usually too. Like I got into great detail but its never read by the devs so whaetever. it is what it is. more people need to speak up on what they want to see in games tho in places like this to be honest. maybe the devs will read one of them eventually. but if a game has no players its pretty important to hear why the players arent coming back currently and what they want to see. ill likely never see anything I posted in a game happen. and yea the devs aint gonna read this.

Its almost like a wave of people saw how barren the game is and thought killing something would be fun.

Imagine, independent thought coming to the same conclusion.. As vets of the community we not only alienate them, we remove their actual existence.

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
and I dont think any of this is possible in the current game, unless I missed some major updates
I was specifically referring to the map/autopilot thing you mentioned. It's essentially just currently extant navigational systems with extra steps. Would it be worth the time and effort to design and set up at the moment? Debatable, but it is technically possible as far as I'm aware.

like for real would you spend tons of money and effort making a game that has lost all of its players it seems and continue making it exactly the same way and expect a different result?
You DO know this game is literally unfinished, right? As in it is currently being developed, and will likely continue to be developed for years to come? Which is something the devs have very clearly and openly stated? One of the first things you see on the steam store page is "Starbase launches into early access in a clear alpha state", so I don't understand how this isn't blatantly obvious to people.

Of course it's empty and boring right now, half the fundamental mechanics aren't even fully implemented into the game yet. It'd be valid to complain about the rate of development or that it should've stayed in CA longer or something, but complaining about the current state of the game as if it's an intentional design choice is like complaining that a house is unlivable before the construction workers have even put up the walls. Hell, some of what you described has ALREADY been stated to be planned features (to greater or lesser extents).

I'd much rather FB focus on properly developing the game for the long term, than see them waste time and resources trying to convince people this isn't an open alpha. At this point they'd just be putting lipstick on a pig.

I don't think you need any greater explanation than people are whiny and don't read available information before schizoposting in the game suggestions.