Game feels livable now with this new update!

Vexus

Master endo
Thanks devs! The game feels livable, with lots to do and options for interacting with most everything in the game. This is a good update! It looks like a ton of hard work, too. I look forward to whatever renewed focus you guys bring when you're inspired again. Starbase is truly an amazing creation unlike anything else that exists or will exist for quite some time.

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
The game has taken a step forward, it's true. But the game is still far away. The game is still very angry for new players. The threshold for entering the game is very high. There are still years of work before you can start an advertising company.

shado20

Veteran endo
its about time we can dock ship at our stations and such. this was the only thing keeping my gaming community friends out of the game. we did not need cap ships, or any of the other things to start playing. but when FB finally puts this in game, they destroyed any chance me talking players back to starbase with the announcement of the devs walking away from the game! this always at least in other games we have played say the backing is gone and the game is dead. so it is almost impossible to get the players back! they shot themselves in the foot!

Vexus

Master endo
so it is almost impossible to get the players back! they shot themselves in the foot!
Well, these types of games generally have really difficult times getting off the ground. They build slowly over time with keeping loyal players while adding useful tools and features that bring in new players. I think the development situation is more due to real world events, as much talk towards the end of last year by the devs spoke of 1-2 year out time frames. Who knows.

It is not impossible to get the players back. The players will keep coming back, almost indefinitely, because there is meaningful gameplay. I cannot stress how much of a lure that is - it's the only lure in games. Some games give you points, for example. You got 10,000 points! Yay! But why? Who cares? Oh, because you can compare your score to your friend's score! That is PvP! Regular Nintendo Super Mario Bro's had this interesting PvP mechanic by the fact people could beat each others' scores.

The meaning has always come from players and engaging with other people. Games are about people, about telling your friend the cool thing you did in the game you both play, and so on. Starbase has meaning oozing out of its entirety. It's almost unreal. Someone I recently spoke to about Starbase was amazed and had never heard of any game like it.

But anyway, back to the point; with meaning, means players will come back as they find their UI management and grind for gear in Lost Ark doesn't really do anything. It gives them that hit of brain chemicals when they finally get that super rare drop that took them days of grind over multiple characters per day to finally get, but that's it, it didn't mean anything, because now there's still some other super rare drop to go after. And so on. It's pointless, but, it sucks people in with gambling mechanics and well, lots of people need an addiction. The meaning in Starbase is your ship wreck will be there in a month from now (if you don't derelict it) and someone else will interact and engage with whatever you build. In addition, that ship wreck you come across was someone else's ship at one point. There's much more to it, too much to write, but yeah, so much meaning it's wild. This is why Rust is so popular - everything has meaning. Every base is someone else's, and every person counts. In addition, being at the start of a wipe is important, and so on - everything matters in Rust. This is why people keep going back. Few games without ranking systems, point systems, ladders or some other metric compare. Meaningful gameplay is the metric by which Rust succeeds. No need for ranking systems if your gameplay has meaning. And if Starbase enables more meaningful interaction instead of deterring it, it too will bring players back.

Foraven

Veteran endo
Well, the PVP crowd are finding a lot more of it since the patch. The Moon is where most of the action is right now.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
Thanks devs! The game feels livable, with lots to do and options for interacting with most everything in the game. This is a good update! It looks like a ton of hard work, too. I look forward to whatever renewed focus you guys bring when you're inspired again. Starbase is truly an amazing creation unlike anything else that exists or will exist for quite some time.
yes, a huge "thank you" to the developers for adding large asteroids, devaluing the money that I was mining for updates....
I am also grateful that my capital is stuck at 90% of construction and for two weeks no one has answered me to f1 reports and in discord, too.
thank you for the problems with fps when mining near origin, where I have to live because my capital does not work.
thank you for not adding mouse control of the ship, which was so close in the roadmap.
thank you very much!

shado20

Veteran endo
Well, these types of games generally have really difficult times getting off the ground. They build slowly over time with keeping loyal players while adding useful tools and features that bring in new players. I think the development situation is more due to real world events, as much talk towards the end of last year by the devs spoke of 1-2 year out time frames. Who knows.

It is not impossible to get the players back. The players will keep coming back, almost indefinitely, because there is meaningful gameplay. I cannot stress how much of a lure that is - it's the only lure in games. Some games give you points, for example. You got 10,000 points! Yay! But why? Who cares? Oh, because you can compare your score to your friend's score! That is PvP! Regular Nintendo Super Mario Bro's had this interesting PvP mechanic by the fact people could beat each others' scores.

The meaning has always come from players and engaging with other people. Games are about people, about telling your friend the cool thing you did in the game you both play, and so on. Starbase has meaning oozing out of its entirety. It's almost unreal. Someone I recently spoke to about Starbase was amazed and had never heard of any game like it.

But anyway, back to the point; with meaning, means players will come back as they find their UI management and grind for gear in Lost Ark doesn't really do anything. It gives them that hit of brain chemicals when they finally get that super rare drop that took them days of grind over multiple characters per day to finally get, but that's it, it didn't mean anything, because now there's still some other super rare drop to go after. And so on. It's pointless, but, it sucks people in with gambling mechanics and well, lots of people need an addiction. The meaning in Starbase is your ship wreck will be there in a month from now (if you don't derelict it) and someone else will interact and engage with whatever you build. In addition, that ship wreck you come across was someone else's ship at one point. There's much more to it, too much to write, but yeah, so much meaning it's wild. This is why Rust is so popular - everything has meaning. Every base is someone else's, and every person counts. In addition, being at the start of a wipe is important, and so on - everything matters in Rust. This is why people keep going back. Few games without ranking systems, point systems, ladders or some other metric compare. Meaningful gameplay is the metric by which Rust succeeds. No need for ranking systems if your gameplay has meaning. And if Starbase enables more meaningful interaction instead of deterring it, it too will bring players back.
i do not doubt that the game long term will slowly bring players back, the problem is will the game survive the long term to see that day? for the short term, they messed up big time!

Vexus

Master endo
will the game survive the long term
Truly the difference between success and failure is commitment through the tough times. There are always ups and downs - life is a sine wave. The game now needs polish and bug fixing above new features, which is tough work with little reward.