Automated Base Defences: Not What You'd Think

Burnside

Master endo
So, I'm a fan of Battlestar's reboot series, the core idea here is that large immobile or semi-mobile installations like bases or flagships rely primarily on thick armor, long range, and combat air groups to survive most confrontations. To that end a station or flagship will be equipped with a series of grouped turrets, "batteries (of guns)", that fire indiscriminately into a 'beaten zone' which friendly fighters are both to avoid and attempt to steer attackers into. To that end I see YOLOL coders providing button-activated commands or firecon officer controlled devices to set any particular group of turrets onto a predetermined arc-of-fire that allied defenders know to avoid and via the firecon XOs or YOLOL quick-settings to reposition these beaten zones as needed to deal with the evolution of raider tactics. Assuming resourcing ops provide enough materiel to "fund the guns" to make this viable, such a setup would be, in my eyes, the most feasible way to conserve manpower and dissuade the enemy considering the "loudest combatant" tends to win a firefight.

Burnside

Master endo
you misunderstand, it's only to orient a group of turrets in a direction and continually fire them

Vampiricdust

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Could manually aim them at an area and have a button that randomly adjusts their aim by small amounts relative to the start position and saturate the area with shots.

Mci

Active endo
So, from what I'm understanding is a proposal that used a flak based firing pattern for defense.

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
So, from what I'm understanding is a proposal that used a flak based firing pattern for defense.
yes, good blanket area means hitrate 100% , effective and that is what matters. (only problem is high ammo usage and guns need to be reloaded).