Starbase is not Ark or Atlas

I think many players forget the 100 visible players limit? What happens if somebody builds a station on the same spot somebody not visible to him built there already? What happens if they play in same "session" later on?

Or if thats only abou player rendering and does not include buildings. Could you raid his station then and he can't do anything against it?

Last edited:

Vampiricdust

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I think many players forget the 100 visible players limit? What happens if somebody builds a station on the same spot somebody not visible to him built there already? What happens if they play in same "session" later on?

Or if thats only abou player rendering and does not include buildings. Could you raid his station then and he can't do anything against it?
It's only players. You would see every ship and station regardless. The game doesn't care who owns what, so just cause the owner isn't rendered, doesn't stop their stuff from still existing.

Also, raiding a station requires dropping the safe zone protection. That takes time and wont be very stealthy. It is not fully designed, but from what we know, the safe zone has a time limit that is extended by friendly military ships and reduced by hostile military ships.

Also, lots are owned and building on a station is in lots or the shipyards. The shipyard has been said to be an instance place, so there won't be building issues. I don't know what you mean by sessions, but the 100 players is a current limit they plan to increase in time.

Burnside

Master endo

IIRC, it's the 100 closest players and only applies to robot shells, not ships and stations, which are rendered as separate objects from the view of the game world and other players. So, basically, if you want to headshot somebody reliably and not just hope, get closer to his ship.

It's only players. You would see every ship and station regardless. The game doesn't care who owns what, so just cause the owner isn't rendered, doesn't stop their stuff from still existing.

Also, raiding a station requires dropping the safe zone protection. That takes time and wont be very stealthy. It is not fully designed, but from what we know, the safe zone has a time limit that is extended by friendly military ships and reduced by hostile military ships.

Also, lots are owned and building on a station is in lots or the shipyards. The shipyard has been said to be an instance place, so there won't be building issues. I don't know what you mean by sessions, but the 100 players is a current limit they plan to increase in time.
IIRC, it's the 100 closest players and only applies to robot shells, not ships and stations, which are rendered as separate objects from the view of the game world and other players. So, basically, if you want to headshot somebody reliably and not just hope, get closer to his ship.
Thanks for your answers :)

STEALTH

Well-known endo
I just can't believe someone believes ARK is on the same complexity level of Starbase. I'm sorry but ARK is a very basic game, it's really not that serious in comparison!

Huursa

Well-known endo
I just can't believe someone believes ARK is on the same complexity level of Starbase. I'm sorry but ARK is a very basic game, it's really not that serious in comparison!
More like I cant believe someone thinks ARK is basic shit compared to Starbase.

Guedez

Learned-to-sprint endo
More like I can't believe people are comparing a game that is out with a game that is not

Captain-General Kitten

Learned-to-sprint endo
More like, Who the hell cares, Ark is just a game that some people like and some people don't, same with starbase, a game that isn't out yet. But atleast from what I can see from the footage, looks more appealing and fun to me then ark could ever be. Just wait with the comparisons between games when they go out of early access. Then you can fully judge. otherwise just compare game trailers.

We all know, the game mechanics are going to be different.

STEALTH

Well-known endo
Folks actually need Starbase to release to see that it obviously is not anything like ARK....yikes! The videos alone demonstrate that they're not remotely similar nor on the same level. Starbase is on an entirely different level of complexity/depth than ARK could ever dream to be. This has zero to do with rather one likes ARK or not or if ARK is a good game or not. A Survival Game w/ Dinos vs. an Engineering, Economy, Piloting, Massive World Space, Shooting Game!

Azelous

Veteran endo
Folks actually need Starbase to release to see that it obviously is not anything like ARK....yikes! The videos alone demonstrate that they're not remotely similar nor on the same level. Starbase is on an entirely different level of complexity/depth than ARK could ever dream to be. This has zero to do with rather one likes ARK or not or if ARK is a good game or not. A Survival Game w/ Dinos vs. an Engineering, Economy, Piloting, Massive World Space, Shooting Game!
I made this thread to draw the line between ARK and Starbase, not to insult the complexity of the prior. ARK might not have integrated coding, ship building, and an extremely large world, but its base building, the MMO aspect from being able to go between official servers, and the large hand-crafted worlds are nothing to scoff at.

One of the things I liked about the proposed mechanics in Starbase is their attention to detail in things like ship building (wires, pipes and rivets) having to really think about ship design and destruction. Even the way cargo and logistics seems to work means things will be more difficult than killing everyone and walking off with a base worth of resources in your pocket. I think these mechanics will set it apart, hopefully in a positive way.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I for one am glad that we finally get an mmo where you can't just draw lines to mechanics from previous games that are in it, it feels refreshing.