3rd person camera

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
I really like the game but the lack of 3rd person bugs me. Your game focuses a lot on building vehicles, so a large portion of your player base will be coming from other building games like Space Engineers / Besiege / Kerbal Space Program / Robocraft etc. However, those games all have 3rd person driving and a switch to first person can confuse the players.

For a ship builder, it is very rewarding to see your own ship in combat, firing weapons and taking damage. Not having it will take that fun away from us. After all, if you designed and built a super cool and stylish ship, but is the only person in the game that can't see the ship because you are piloting it, that sucks.

Further more, not everyone can handle 1st person. I personally will get dizzy very quick in first person mode of many games. Even if 3d dizziness is not an issue, many people including me will still have trouble positioning ourselves in 1st person, bumping into objects and falling of things. I understand that many former fps players will prefer 1st person, but at least give the rest of us the option.

Edit:
I currently have 2 balancing ideas about 3rd person.

One: Have "fake" third person where enemies don't show up on your screen if they are not in the cockpit's line of sight (ie from behind)

Two: Have a camera drone that follows your ship providing 3rd person view in civilian use. The drone is very fragile and can't maneuver fast enough to be reliably used in combat.

Last edited:

Brushes

Well-known endo
"...make Starbase like other games..." :confused:

Due, in part, to the reasoning for not having cameras, i doubt this becomes a thing. No reason for a canopy if fpv isnt required.

Personally i'd prefer instead to have 6 axis view capabilities, adjustable fov, adjustable motion blur, etc etc.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
"...make Starbase like other games..." :confused:

Due, in part, to the reasoning for not having cameras, i doubt this becomes a thing. No reason for a canopy if fpv isnt required.

Personally i'd prefer instead to have 6 axis view capabilities, adjustable fov, adjustable motion blur, etc etc.
Well I just want to A see my ship while piloting and B not get dizzy.
3rd person is like standard for building related games, this will not make Starbase less unique.
If it was a balance issue, I will accept "fake" 3rd person (where you can't see enemies on the side or back even if they are next to you, just being able to see your own ship)

quantin

Well-known endo
A third person vision is a good idea,I'd like to have a mouse control,all of these idea can have a good fight experience in starbase,but FB said nothing in these aspect,in fact,the hard experience can't let the game popular,I think star citizen's control and camera mode is much better than starbase.

I don't think there is any additional camera, which can urge players to pay attention to the design of cockpit perspective, and emerge better cockpit design, such as bubble cockpit and modern fighter cockpit, with wide FOV and reasonable panel arrangement, which is very hard core and interesting, rather than just putting a camera out of the way like SE and No Man's Sky,

A third person vision is a good idea,I'd like to have a mouse control,all of these idea can have a good fight experience in starbase,but FB said nothing in these aspect,in fact,the hard experience can't let the game popular,I think star citizen's control and camera mode is much better than starbase.

It may not be a good idea to use the mouse, especially when the enemy is moving behind you, you need to drag the mouse for a long distance to aim the bow at the enemy, and if you set the sensitivity of the mouse very high, it will be difficult to aim at the enemy in the distance.

Keyboard control does not have this problem. If the enemy is at a long distance, you can correct the error by clicking. If the enemy is at a short distance, you just need to press and hold the keyboard.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
I don't think there is any additional camera, which can urge players to pay attention to the design of cockpit perspective, and emerge better cockpit design, such as bubble cockpit and modern fighter cockpit, with wide FOV and reasonable panel arrangement, which is very hard core and interesting, rather than just putting a camera out of the way like SE and No Man's Sky,
You can make that only what the pilot or cameras can see show up on your third person screen. If the enemy is out of your line of sight, it stays invisible even when it is right next to you.

quantin

Well-known endo
It may not be a good idea to use the mouse, especially when the enemy is moving behind you, you need to drag the mouse for a long distance to aim the bow at the enemy, and if you set the sensitivity of the mouse very high, it will be difficult to aim at the enemy in the distance.

Keyboard control does not have this problem. If the enemy is at a long distance, you can correct the error by clicking. If the enemy is at a short distance, you just need to press and hold the keyboard.
If I need to flight like a mad dog I need mouse,well when I create a high mobility ship,it will be very hard to control,like press one shot on "w",my ship will turn upside down,mouse can give a delicate operate and more easy to hit your enemy in space

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
Yeah. Not having third person and mouse control shuts people out of the game.

Exactly. Keyboard is better if you are talented and had lots of practice. However, since Keyboard is better than mouse anyway, no reason to not let less talented players use the mouse.

If I need to flight like a mad dog I need mouse,well when I create a high mobility ship,it will be very hard to control,like press one shot on "w",my ship will turn upside down,mouse can give a delicate operate and more easy to hit your enemy in space
The operation stability of mouse is very low. When you want to hit accurately, you will miss the target, and when you want to turn around quickly, it will be very laborious. I think it is very unwise.

Yeah. Not having third person and mouse control shuts people out of the game.

Exactly. Keyboard is better if you are talented and had lots of practice. However, since Keyboard is better than mouse anyway, no reason to not let less talented players use the mouse.

Mouse operation mode may be more suitable for entry-level players, but if you want to become a master space fighter, the keyboard is the final choice.

I think the two can coexist and it's up to the ship builder to decide.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
It would be weird and counter intuitive.
Honestly yeah, but I can't think of a better way.

Maybe a drone pod that allows 3rd person under civilian operation by releasing a drone that follows the player's ship.
However, such drone is very fragile and not fast enough to keep up with maneuvering fighters, limiting their use in combat.

Honestly yeah, but I can't think of a better way.

Maybe a drone pod that allows 3rd person under civilian operation by releasing a drone that follows the player's ship.
However, such drone is very fragile and not fast enough to keep up with maneuvering fighters, limiting their use in combat.

Maybe you can pin your robotic head in the back of the plane :D:D:D

quantin

Well-known endo
but I think nobody want to use keyboard to use turret,small ships are fast,you can't catch them by keyboard tuning speed.And by the way,ships control by mouse has a big advantage than keyboard,it can control more direction maneuver because mouse can control the flight angle and keyboard can control the translation direction,that's more twist and fun in a battle

but I think nobody want to use keyboard to use turret,small ships are fast,you can't catch them by keyboard tuning speed.And by the way,ships control by mouse has a big advantage than keyboard,it can control more direction maneuver because mouse can control the flight angle and keyboard can control the translation direction,that's more twist and fun in a battle
I think the "mouse control" you and Cannon Machine Ballista regards are not the same in some ways. Your idea is the joystick-styled mouse steering control like what in Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen, while he's talking about "dragging" mouse to steer like in Space Engineers. Personally I'd prefer steering with mouse but I may try out how the keyboard steering feels like when the time comes (it won't hurt for trying lol).

quantin

Well-known endo
I think the "mouse control" you and Cannon Machine Ballista regards are not the same in some ways. Your idea is the joystick-styled mouse steering control like what in Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen, while he's talking about "dragging" mouse to steer like in Space Engineers. Personally I'd prefer steering with mouse but I may try out how the keyboard steering feels like when the time comes (it won't hurt for trying lol).
If FB can't give the mouse control,third person camera plus keyboard will be best plan for flight