A case for npcs

Walord

Active endo
Now before you start saying that we dont want npc shopkeepers or anything that one would first think of when they hear "npc", i do agree with you
This is more of a game suggestion, but also as a way to show that we could have npc and have other gameplay loops and ways to generate ressources.

I do think most of us dont want AI fighter ships flying around eve online style, it wouldnt work in this game, but we do have capital ships.
Heres my idea, a derelict capital ship that warps into our belt and stays there for a while until it warps away or somewhere else in the belt. It would attack ships that pass nearby. It wouldnt have a safe zone and it can be destroyed by any means. Their size would vary as well and their firing power and resistance (how derelict they are, premade holes/missing parts and thickness of their armor), there could also be differant types using differant weaponry, encouraging bringing different ships. There could be a few around the belt at the same time spawning somewhat randomly in the "deep" part of belt.

Now, what would be the point of fighting one of them? Once you can approach them (either you destroyer all its weapons or it looks like swiss cheese) there could be a hangar (aka a vault) containing lots of stuff and you could dismantle the ship itself for parts.

What could the vault contain? Well first off let's see how much loot there could be. That would vary on the size of the ship, the firepower and resistance of it wouldn't (i'll explain later). Now to what it can contain (this is all ideas so don't take too much attention to these), it could range from straight up raw ressources to some prebuilt ships even, whatever you want to be honest but that would be mostly up to the devs and what would be balanced.

I do think this idea has lot more depth than at first sights,
1- It's up to you and your faction to decide if it's worth engaging since the difficulty does not directly correlate with its size (aka loot)
2- It creates information wars, aka, if you hear that theres a cap ship near another faction, you know that they wont be as strong as they usually are if they are engaging it

Heres another idea of mine that cap ships would bring nicely, basically the derelelict cap ship vault could contain special ship modules that have buffed stats (and debuff if the buffed stats are too strong), this would create a special market for these kind of items, it would create a reason to loot destroyed ships and/or hunt them and the most important of all, it would allow for more ship designs that are adapted to the special modules they have. What i mean by module could range from a part of a thruster, the whole thruster, a generater, a weapon etc
But that is just an idea to show how derelict cap ship can be implemented and what they could bring

tl:dr derelict capital ships that are basically "raids" for a group, faction or even could be for the community

Dustmuz

Active endo
I like this idea of yours.
i do see the potential of it down the road, as it could be "base" for more active pvp content, as people might fight each other, for access to whatever there is on the ship.

down the line, i think this would be a good addition to the game, if fleshed out properly.

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
devs have said many times they dont plan to add ai. though I wish they would add some ai turrets.

Walord

Active endo
devs have said many times they dont plan to add ai. though I wish they would add some ai turrets.
hence why i made this post, i do believe there is potential, if its an engine or tech issue that a whole other problem tho
and yeah ai turrets would be cool (they'd fit well on cap ships and they'd be almost the only ai parts lol)

Dustmuz

Active endo
in terms of having AI turrets and such.
any AI stuff, should never be in player hands.
Even if a player manages to "capture" and salvage a ship, like these suggested here.
The weapons should return to normal behavior.

Meaning that as long as the capital ship is "NPC owned" it will shoot at any player.
But as soon as the ship gets taken over completely by players, the AI "disapears" from the ship entirely

i see 2 ways for this
1: Destroy all weapons
2: Destroy all power to the ship

But it is something that would have to talked about, IF Frozenbyte in the future, decides to look into this kind of gameplay.
having a good idea, is always good.
But most ideas are rough and needs a lot of work, to function in a game

Something similar to this exists as a mod for Space Engineers, called Modular Encounters.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521905890&searchtext=

It's used in many servers as a way to increase the difficulty as well as give players more objectives. Spawns hostiles that will attack players who sit in an area for too long, as well as boss fights if the player wants a challenge with loot rewards. These encounters despawn over time or after certain conditions have been triggered to relieve server stress.