A question about the "Blueprint control Interface" working "retroactively"

fr4me01

Active endo
Mentioned by Lauri on the main Starbase Discord server the other day: link to message/conversation here for context
""
Tegxra — 10/08/2021
@LauriFB re-bumping this question. i'm very keen on what the BP chips will enable when it comes to IP control and selling. re-selling/sharing was a recent point of drama and having this info would go a ways towards cooling that/ and also allow designers to plan ahead for pricing structures etc

LauriFB — 10/08/2021
I posted about upcoming blueprint protection mechanics to reddit but it got very badly lost to some ToS argument. But this is indeed a planned feature.

LauriFB — 10/08/2021
and after that we'll do a blueprint control interface which will work also retroactively and also can detect imported copied blueprints
""

I just have a few questions about this system and how it will work.

How is this going to work exactly? Am I going to lose access/control of the blueprint I paid millions for if the creator decides he wants to further restrict what I can and can't do with it whenever these new blueprint systems come into play against what we agreed upon in the terms during the purchase possibly months after the fact?

If that is the case its almost pointless to buy blueprints right now.. And all of us that have bought them already could be in for a very rude awakening after these systems get implemented...

I'm not really complaining either way, I'd just like to know if I need to stop buying blueprints.

Thanks Staff/Devs! :cool:

Edit: So I found the actual reddit post Lauri was referencing: reddit post
"
The good news is that currently planned blueprint protection mechanics will retroactively allow protection to the existing blueprints and can be used to sort out illegal copies of blueprints and ships. We won't destroy property, but most likely will force the existing blueprints to recognize the copyrights of the creator (thus creator will be able to decide upon illegal copies).
"

Sooo.. It looks like there wont be any mechanics built in this system to protect the buyers of the blueprints. If the blueprint distributors want to charge you again it sounds like they will be free to do so. Or if they have since changed their mind, they have the ability to strip everyones access to that blueprint.

If this is the case it looks like I wont be buying anymore blueprints. Yikes.

Last edited:

CalenLoki

Master endo
I wonder if it'll even work reliably enough to prevent illegal distribution.
I.e. if you make modules of the entire ship and copy it into another blueprint, will the system be able to track it back to the original BP?