Better Transponders

STEALTH

Well-known endo
Transponders that allow you to set ship name instead of "Player's Ship". BUT add to that an area that sets an automatic tag to the ship (e.g: [STW] Harbinger) the tag and name can never be changed once the ship is created. The tag is automatically stamped to whatever company the player is in with that company's tag. If the player is not in a company at the time of ship creation the system holds that tag blank but as soon as the player joins one the tag becomes set.

Makes transponders valuable for trickery but not allowing cheesy trickery by changing names on the fly and gives nice readouts versus the current "Player's Ship" since a player name doesn't really give much info especially dealing with unknowns, allies that you can't tell are allies, etc.!

blazemonger

Veteran endo
I'd like to be able to use the real life 4 digit number for transponders.. Combined with the color used to display the transponder code would allow to easily distinguish between friend or foe and what your friend is currently doing (you could agree on a number of codes for specific functions/jobs within the company).

Norway174

Active endo
Transponder do a field value called ship name. But once you change it, it gets sets back to the actual ship name.
I wish we could change this name, and the transponder would just show up as whatever we set that name to.

But no forced tag system. Nothing should be forced.

People should be allowed to try and trick you by changing their transponder name. It's your choice to trust it or not.

But I do like the idea of transponder codes, used to show Friend/Foe.
And a company, in a similar manner to the tag manager. Can add various tags to transponder codes. Like make it change the color it appear as.

And with a receiver, you can pick up the transponder. And the code.

Then you could use it as sort of a password and username system where you check if the transponder name belongs to a whitelisted ship. And the code matches for that ship. Then you can have various things happen, such as opening a hangar door when a ship approaches.

Ideally, you'd not transmit that code all the time. Unless you wanted everyone to see it.

This could easily be done with YOLOL, have it so you can press a button, to make it transmit the code. Then the door would open if you set that up on the other side. Then you can press the button again to set it back to the other code, to show you as a friend to the company, for instance.

STEALTH

Well-known endo
I'm still with my original plan....permanent Company Tag (or blank until one is joined). The Name part of the ship cannot be changed and is set in stone as well once named by the Player. This is to prevent the insane foolerly that occurred all day in Dual Universe where people would cheese calling their ships the name of other Faction's ships to confuse that Faction or others. It was a big cheese strat in DU and I don't want it here.

As already stated this will also add extreme value to anyone who is able to take a ship without destroying its transponder. At that point THEN a person could choose to use it for selling to another eager person or to use it themselves for deception purposes. I'd rather a fixed Company Tag to every ship than the nonsense cheese that was seen in Dual Universe. During OPS that problem became tenfold, trust me...you don't want that here and it WILL happen if allowed! Solos and Small Groups may not see it or understand but this has a heavy affect on Large Groups!

Johnwarosa

Active endo
Nah, I think that transponders should have "display text" field that would allow you to enter any text you want, defaulting to the "[username] 's Ship". Maybe as an T2 transponder, but I think this is the best solution.

STEALTH

Well-known endo
Nah, I think that transponders should have "display text" field that would allow you to enter any text you want, defaulting to the "[username] 's Ship". Maybe as an T2 transponder, but I think this is the best solution.
Not sure what it is that you're disagreeing with. The NAME is whatever the User Creates, the part that can't be edited is the TAG that goes with it. So a Player not attached to any faction has no TAG and only whatever name they give their ship, that's fine. Faction ships on the other hand will be tagged automatically by the game with the faction it belongs to and cannot be edited by the player. Again this is the TAG, not the ship name

E.G: [MCRN] <--Faction Tag followed by DONNAGER <---Ship Name which can be anything the User names it = [MCRN] DONNAGER

Tags allow for easy IFF but also prevent the mess you see in Dumb Universe aka Dual Universe where factions created fake tags all day long as a cheese strat to confuse factions or put blame on a faction for things they were not doing. This also adds a great value to stolen transponders because then you could use deception with them and/or sell them to someone else to do so.

Last edited:
And a T3 transponder that you can set up to transpond to firendly players like your Group or Company) only.
And change status with an icon or font-color. Like red - I'm under attack. Green - mining. Orange - I'm *** and need reapairs.