Bolts need their strength increased

Mur

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I understand that currently the autobolt tool puts the minimum bolts into an object to connect it but I find that some objects such as engines and devices on hardpoints need way more than the minimum to function correctly.

When I bolt a box thruster I auto bolt it, bolt it each side, each corner then go to the hard point, and the do the same on the other side, and bolt it though the hardpoint into the thruster...then that is just enough to make it work properly with a total of around 45 bolts to have it not lower your warp class. This kind of issue shows up when you are trying to sure up the rest of the yellow warning boxes where you see single Duct 12x12cm network panels needing two bolts before it will stop complaining about being bolted. Turrets are similar, they need two bolts on each corner attached to the turret base and double bolting on the device onto the body.

Some of these kind of repair jobs outside of the SSC are almost impossible because of how far into the ship you need to go to correct and how you can't get to spots without clipping though your ship.

What I suggest is whatever you have the strength of the bolts, you should double it. This would take the 45 bolt requirement for box thrusters down to 22.5 which is close to what autobolting does currently (20 bolts).

Last edited:

Tomasz

Well-known endo
I disagree , the way things are there is a noticable difference betwen good design and bad one; efficient bolting and inefficient.
If it is too easy to reach good enough treshold its not going to make real difference to think about proper design.
10 warp class is not the same when you are talking betwen 1 and 11 warp class as it is betwen 100 and 110 warp class.

Mur

I disagree , the way things are there is a noticable difference betwen good design and bad one; efficient bolting and inefficient.
If it is too easy to reach good enough treshold its not going to make real difference to think about proper design.
10 warp class is not the same when you are talking betwen 1 and 11 warp class as it is betwen 100 and 110 warp class.
This is not about warp class and how to properly bolt things down. I understand that things should be bolted and evenly distruibuted.

-Its about how a turret mount needs 10 bolts before it secures an object (turns it from red to green) which should totally not be needed.
-Its about how engines need 45 bolts before they are secured
-Its how single 12x12 ducts need two bolts to be secured.
-Buttons need at least 2 bolts before they are secured.
-Etc

The from constant testing on my side, bolts are just not as strong as they should be or that devices require a lot more than they should.

og7ANq4DfX.png

Tomasz

Well-known endo
Yea, and this means in bigger builds you need to really think how you spend your bolts.You want to double strength of bolts so that managing this resource is less restricting.If you make things autobolt to be rock solid, you might aswell remove need of bolting altogether, becouse it adds no challenge then

Mur

Yea, and this means in bigger builds you need to really think how you spend your bolts.You want to double strength of bolts so that managing this resource is less restricting.If you make things autobolt to be rock solid, you might aswell remove need of bolting altogether, becouse it adds no challenge then
I keep hearing people talk about challenge when it comes to stuff like this. Challenge should be from how I put things together and the creative designs, how I balance my ship or having enough requirements to run it.
Challenge should not come from the system requiring me to clip though walls to bolt stuff at multiple different directions and bolting things down 4x more than what auto bolting does.

Last edited:

Mur

There is another problem with bolts. They are not restored when using a repair tool. That only brings up the parts. You still have to then rebolt the parts which may not always be possible depending on the design.
Yeah in the SSC you can clip though walls but since in the actual game when you try to bolt something that bolt strenth is low you sometimes have no ability to bolt things correctly / enough.

Tomasz

Well-known endo
Bolts are changing how forces are distributed in your ship - it is not jsut how many you put in.Changing bolts can shift balance of your ship.

Mur

I just wanted to poke this request because after spending days in the ship designer it made me annoyed enough to take a break from the game. I think for this game to get mainstream popularity it really needs to deal with this issue because more casual people who want to get into a game and play will get annoyed to hell with the current bolting strength.

Cavilier210

Master endo
There is another problem with bolts. They are not restored when using a repair tool. That only brings up the parts. You still have to then rebolt the parts which may not always be possible depending on the design.
This sounds like something you should potentially have in mind when you design something.

I just wanted to poke this request because after spending days in the ship designer it made me annoyed enough to take a break from the game. I think for this game to get mainstream popularity it really needs to deal with this issue because more casual people who want to get into a game and play will get annoyed to hell with the current bolting strength.
You're opposed to learning how the system works and designing around the limitations you have, which are not all that restrictive. Good luck, because I for one won't be supporting this idea.