Bridging the gap

Without a doubt, at least some have noticed that Starbase is a tad big.
Could be by design, could be that someone slept on the zero key while making the world. Who knows.
What is certain is that it brings a number of interesting challenges, enhanced by the ability to optimize your own ships. However, these challenges all come with a hefty cost of entry. That being time.

In this post I’d like to go over a possible solution to that entry cost. The main goals of this solution are to:

Cut down on monotonous travel time
Setting fcuforward to 100 and activating asteroid avoidance is how you spend most of the time in world. With point to point auto pilots emerging, this will only become more dull. Not a very engaging gameplay loop in my opinion. If a new player realises how little engagement is required, he is unlikely to get invested long term, regardless of how many rookie features are added. People, generally, don’t want to sit around doing something they don’t want to do, after spending most of the day doing something they don’t want to do.

Make the rest of the belt into something that isn’t just there in theory
Right now, most of the action happens starting from the respective spawn point, directly into the belt. With the capabilities of ships, there is neither the need nor a good way to go to the other 90% of the belt. Capitals will make rest of space more accessible. However, not in a way that helps new players or in a way that fosters cooperation between players. When you’re at a point where you start thinking about capitals, getting a downsized moonshot ship for the jump location is just a side step.

Foster cooperation between players
Currently, there is some active cooperation in Starbase and a bit of passive cooperation. Active cooperation would be things like mining/hauling together or hunting with fighters. However, there is little in terms of passive cooperation. The best we have right now is allowing people to dump stuff in your station and to use it as a parking space.

Enough with conceptional ramblings, here is what I’d like to suggest:

Make stations and capitals into a fast travel network for player ships

Players can move to a nearby station or capital and use it to fast travel to a select number of nearby stations or capitals. Fast traveling may not be the shortest path but the fastest, cutting down on monotonous forward thrusting and replacing it with something the player actively engages in. Of course, it is the decision of the owner of the capital or station to decide to whom, to open fast travel access to.
Adding to that the large exclusion zones around stations and you get a situation where factions will want to grab the best spots for themselves, building up their fast travel network to cut down on travel time for their faction members. In turn, vital transit hubs will develop into strategic locations and pvp/station siege hotspots.

For those who are not utterly disgusted by the idea, here are further ramblings, rambling on about a possible implementation in a hopefully not too rambling manner:

Implementation would take place mainly by adding two modules (placeholder names):

the slingshot module:
built on stations and capitals
opens the station up to the fast travel network
requires rare materials to build

the slinghook module:
built on ships
allows ships to use the slingshot module to fast travel
made of somewhat common ores

In world use:
The slingshot is built on the capital or station.

Setup of the slingshot:
One option could be to simply link the module to ones at other stations with a budget. The budget could be a function of number of stations linked and their distance to the slingshot increasing the cost to link to that station.
The more interesting option in my opinion would be to set rotation, elevation and distance on the slingshot relative to the station. Ships using the slingshot then fast travel to where it is set. This would make slingshots one way only and only one location per slingshot, placing more importance on station building.
The slingshot also transmits a shortrange signal for slinghooks to interface with, similar to station transmitters. This is the ID of the slingshot

Setup of the slinghook:
The slinghook is what allows shipside yolol to interface with the slingshot. You’d have a yolol field where you enter the ID of the slingshot you want to use. For added complexity, the slingshot could only be able to pick up the slingshot through a radio receiver and needs to be connected to a ship transmitter to get through a possible whitelist on the slingshot. The slinghook could also check if the ship is pointing towards the fast travel target. If not, target accuracy could be decreased. Asteroid density along the path could also cause a decrease in accuracy. That way, long range fast travels into the belt would have you likely end up in the middle of nowhere due to asteroid interference. Striking a balance between straight flight tedium and the challenge of belt navigation.

How using the system could look like in practice:

You fly near a station or capital with one or more slingshots installed.
You sweep the radio frequencies to see what slingshots are available.
You enter the ID of the slingshot you want to use into the slinghook.
You orientate your ship to point towards the fast travel target.
You turn on the slinghook and wait as the slingshot charges.
If there are a couple of ships waiting to use the slingshot you could be stuck in a queue. (Yay, space traffic!)
When the slingshot is charged, you enter warp, similar to the warp gates.
At your location (or wherever you end up at due to inaccuracies) you leave warp and can continue your business.

This concludes the main part of what I wanted to say. Following are just some random thoughts I have about this in relation to various aspects of the game:

PvP:
Obviously, there are quite a number of strategic options opened up by such a system.
From rapid response pirate hunting to launching a strike group from a catapult carrier type capital ship. The viability of these utilisations would be up to how well the numbers work out. Whether this is something wanted in the game, I don’t know. Could limit the catapults purely to stations.

Something like a Slinghook jammer could be a possible counter. When fast travelling into a jammed area, you get pulled out of warp. The narrower of an area it is tasked to jam, the further the jamming reaches. I.e. you know the enemy is likely to come from a certain hemisphere so you focus your jamming there. However, your enemy expected you to focus your jamming and sent in their forces from somewhere else. To prevent that, you have stations further back covering the blind spots, and so on. The jammer could give out a yolol signal whenever it jams something.

Piracy would also likely change. I’d guess it would evolve to camping popular fast travel end points. Deliberately decreasing your fast travel accuracy by not pointing perfectly to the fast travel target could be a possible counter.

Organisation and faction play:
If slingshot whitelists were to become a thing, grouping up and sharing slingshots would be a benefit to everyone in the group. To avoid slingshots being a purely positive affair, they could come with an energy cost for every slung ship. When your station has access to solar power you can get your energy that way. Powering a slingshot network reaching all the way to the core of a belt could be something only the largest of factions can manage. Making faction owned stations a thing could also open up the possibility of slingshot tolls.

Tl;dr: YEET ships across space!

Thank you for your time and for attending my TED talk.

I completely disagree with some of your points
ships are slow hopefully we can get them to double the speed or at least go 250ms
1. space is big should stay that way
2. foster cooperation between players we already have that its called a company.
I believe they are working on these features when we get a galactic map life will be easier.

ships are slow hopefully we can get them to double the speed or at least go 250ms
2. foster cooperation between players we already have that its called a company.
I believe they are working on these features when we get a galactic map life will be easier.
Increasing the flight speed is sadly unlikely to hapen. The 150m/s is a game engine limitation that has been there since the beginning. There are already cases of people going faster than the speed limit just because they have more frames per second. Increasing the speed limit would only exasperate these problems. I think we can all agree that establishing a meta around getting the most frames per second is not the way to go.

About your first point:
I agree. Space beeing big is good. However, in its current utilisation, space is nothing more than an arbitrary wait timer like in a free to play mobile game. Frozenbyte themselves already made concessions to that fact by adding things like warp gates and capital ships. Even with fast travel points, there is still a difference between "getting into the belt in 30min through a series of fast travel points to get some shopping done" big and "spending an entire week, circumnavigating the entire belt" big.

About the second point:
Currently, companies are nothing more than a signature list. Available play time is a resource in it self. Currently, a lot of that resource goes into getting from point A to point B. Suppose there is a gameplay aspect that allows you to cut down on the amount of resources you have to spend to get from A to B. Suppose this gameplay aspect has a high upfront cost and some use cost attached.
In my opinion, this could be a great way to solidify factions in the game world. It would give all faction members an inherrent bonus by beeing part of the faction. Expanding the fast travell network is a tangible goal people can easely engage in, possibly increasing activity. "Fighting" over a practicallly infinite resource would be replaced by figthing for the best fast travel spots. Something that is far more limited by how the world currently operates with spawn points and such..

The speed of ships is not go to increase because you'll start phasing through the terrain, and other people.

The galactic map may or may not ever happen. At this point it's rumors and ideas. Don't bank on it conforming to what you think it will be.

The speed of ships is not go to increase because you'll start phasing through the terrain, and other people.

The galactic map may or may not ever happen. At this point it's rumors and ideas. Don't bank on it conforming to what you think it will be.
im happy with the speed of ships its others that have issues

I would be very happy right now if the game allowed player built jump gates to exist.
Seems like a not too high cost feature to implement too (just give me the parts and voilà, I would possibly construct one or two)
We still have a long way to go though before the game becomes playable beyond mining and ship building.

I don't think personal warp drives are the way to go. Space already feels pretty lonely. If you add to that everyone zooming around in their private instance, it would almost be a miracle to meet someone out in the belt. But yeah, locking mobility behind the capital grind wall does kinda suck.

Who said anything about a private instance? Lol. You'd still be in the game world. The only change ultimately would be your interaction with objects.

Oh, i thought you've meant warp drives similar to the warp gates. Considering, you can only interact with people that warped with you on the same ship, you are somewhat in a private instance. (Practically speaking)

No. You would still be interacting with the world and a part of it. Just, to exceed the speed cap, you have to accept you can't touch other things. Mostly due to the phasing

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
Valid points, but you're forgetting how incredibly far from being finished the game is. In the sense that a lot of the current "problems" facing the game aren't a purposeful design choice, but a direct result of there still being so many things currently absent from the game that "should" be there. (Granted you could argue that's an issue in itself, but that's beside the point)

Make the rest of the belt into something that isn’t just there in theory
Right now, most of the action happens starting from the respective spawn point, directly into the belt. With the capabilities of ships, there is neither the need nor a good way to go to the other 90% of the belt.
Personally I think this is the biggest inherent problem for a game like this. Space is very big, empty, and for the most part very boring on account of it being, you know, an infinite black void.

On paper this is solved by making stations into hubs of player activity that naturally attract plenty of traffic going and coming, with everything else being a natural outgrowth of that (trade routes, pirates that prey on trade route, people that protect the trade routes from those pirates, etc.). That way even though the majority of the game is empty space, there are still touchstones around which to orient yourself and who naturally form connections between each other that help guide players as they move out into the wider world. Ideally you could get away from origin by going station to station if the infrastructure was there.

In practice (outside of the fact that stations are still far from finished currently) the Achille's heel of this is that 90% of people are either stupid, lazy, or both. This kind of environment lives and dies based on someone bothering to get the ball rolling in the first place. And it's a little hard to get excited over claiming a nondescript patch of rocks and fog that's identical to anywhere else you look. So I definitely feel like adding a little more variety to the belt (even if it's purely superficial) would help in that regard.

Foster cooperation between players
Currently, there is some active cooperation in Starbase and a bit of passive cooperation. Active cooperation would be things like mining/hauling together or hunting with fighters. However, there is little in terms of passive cooperation. The best we have right now is allowing people to dump stuff in your station and to use it as a parking space.
The reason that it feels like there's nothing to do is because there really isn't: Stations/Companies are both incredibly barebones at the moment. Like I said though, this isn't really by design they're actually unfinished.

Players can move to a nearby station or capital and use it to fast travel to a select number of nearby stations or capitals. Fast traveling may not be the shortest path but the fastest, cutting down on monotonous forward thrusting and replacing it with something the player actively engages in. Of course, it is the decision of the owner of the capital or station to decide to whom, to open fast travel access to.
Adding to that the large exclusion zones around stations and you get a situation where factions will want to grab the best spots for themselves, building up their fast travel network to cut down on travel time for their faction members. In turn, vital transit hubs will develop into strategic locations and pvp/station siege hotspots.
I believe the current plan is for player built warp gates to eventually fulfil the function you're describing (Don't quote me on that though, since I don't think the devs have touched on the subject super heavily). They'd also most likely create the situations you described, for similar reasons.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
I read this post. Again, I see the same thing: to come up with something in a beautiful wrapper, and in fact, to hide in this idea the main idea of how to avoid meeting other players... I want you to understand that all such mechanics work against MMO: if PVP can be evaded with the help of a "private warp" Or "Teleport", then you do not need to make a strong ship, you do not need to think about your safety, you do not need to interact with other players, study and watch your back. As a result, the game will die.

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
if PVP can be evaded with the help of a "private warp" Or "Teleport", then you do not need to make a strong ship, you do not need to think about your safety
I don't think anyone wants that to be the case, to be fair. Most games with similar mechanics have a failsafe preventing you from instantly escaping combat with it (teleporting needs a brief charge that can be interrupted, teleporting cannot be initiated if you've recently been damaged, etc.)

That being said I'm generally against on demand teleportation though. Past a certain point it just defeats the entire purpose of making such a big world in the first place.

DivineEvil

Well-known endo
I don't think anyone wants that to be the case, to be fair. Most games with similar mechanics have a failsafe preventing you from instantly escaping combat with it (teleporting needs a brief charge that can be interrupted, teleporting cannot be initiated if you've recently been damaged, etc.)

That being said I'm generally against on demand teleportation though. Past a certain point it just defeats the entire purpose of making such a big world in the first place.
I agree. I believe that game developers bend towards FUN! too often and circumvent the value of travel and the associated risks slapping, fast-travel on everything. Capital ships are being worked on and player warp-gates are in the plans, so I really don't see a point in doing anything on top of that. If that means that I'm bound to fly my miners great distances to reach high-value ores and listening to music or podcasts in the meantime, I'm fine with it.

pavvvel

Veteran endo

Teleportation of normal ships is not necessary. Because it will be used to evade PVP. For example, when there are sensors, even a heavy ship with 1400 crates filled with ore will be able to evaporate miraculously at the first signals of the sensors. This will make the gameplay casual, which will worsen the game. Capital ships will be added now. They will be able to jump. I can already imagine how the player chooses the coordinates of the fifth zone of the asteroid belt, away at the X coordinate and it will be completely impossible to find it. Do you also want a warp for ordinary ships? No... It's not necessary. The question of how to track and find such ships remains unresolved. By the way, I think that for capital ships, the mechanics of tracking the vapr trace are needed. So that after the jump there is a trace that can be scanned and find out the coordinates.

shado20

Veteran endo
dont we already have a fast travel in game, the warp gate, now we just need to be able to make them too...