Can the engine be tilted?

MAXD

Veteran endo
The detailed rule of the FCUs are not clear yet I think. You can check MFC and FCU pages on wiki.

No thrust vectoring? No VTOL (without dedicated landing thrusters) or ship acrobatics then. *sad trumpet* :(

XenoCow

Master endo
no thrust vectoring
Maybe with enough YOLOL skill one could program his or her own vectoring system. I imagine that it would have to be some dang robust code to handle the cases of damaged or destroyed thrusters. Maybe YOLOL can integrate into the FCU to save some programming time.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Maybe with enough YOLOL skill one could program his or her own vectoring system. I imagine that it would have to be some dang robust code to handle the cases of damaged or destroyed thrusters. Maybe YOLOL can integrate into the FCU to save some programming time.
It has nothing to do with yolol. Currently thrusters won't start unless they're attached directly to main ship frame. Or if they start, they'll instantly rip off rotors.
What about rotors on rotors? Such as with the Prometheus ship?
Technically possible (without thrusters), but not practical. ATM rotors and hinges don't have cable socket on the rotating part. So you can't control things mounted on rotors (with exception of few directly attached devices, i.e. guns).
You can work around that using curved rails and movers, but it's big, complex and possibly too weak to mount anything heavy and/or use on fast ship.

XenoCow

Master endo
Currently thrusters won't start unless they're attached directly to main ship frame.
Ah, I didn't know that tidbit. Is that even the case if you had a power source on the engine side of the rotor?

Sounds like you can't control things through pass-through wires... but that doesn't stop a dedicated crew from having cockpits in all the engines to perform astounding feats of coordination.