"Capital" Turntables

Burnside

Master endo
Oversized turntables with a larger base size and better stress capacity to mount heavy industrial builds, and, obviously, large turrets with interior gunhouses.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Maybe we'll need something like small turntable in the middle, for reading and setting angle, and rails for increased structural integrity.

Reason why I don't think they'll add huge turntables is that they keep all modules small enough to be manually moved around. Anything above that is divided into several parts (i.e. reactors).

Btw I also hope that guns will have recoil at some point, which would force turntables to get their structural integrity greatly reinforced. And thus allow thrust vectoring.

Burnside

Master endo
little tiny corners, yeah, we need a way to have bigger curves to fully support extra-large turrets, then again, given the size limitation of the engine without dipping into station parts for larger parts to beat that soft limit on size, we might not really have any need for extra-large assemblies.

I don't know, actually the small rotating joints could have structural problems, but at the theoretical level one could still make huge structures run, actually it would be much better to have own curved tracks that can create several closed diameters, in order to create more structures robust, like the citadels of warships.

Attachments

CalenLoki

Master endo
little tiny corners, yeah, we need a way to have bigger curves to fully support extra-large turrets, then again, given the size limitation of the engine without dipping into station parts for larger parts to beat that soft limit on size, we might not really have any need for extra-large assemblies.
Oh! Did they posted any info/image about size of those corners? I've seen them confirming that curved tracks exist, but no details.
2m radius would be enough to maje pretty large turret rings (multiple levels for more structural integrity). Especially with current weapon size - AC is only 4m long.

Edit: Found it! Curved rail is around 1.3m radius. Should be enough for decently sized turret ring.
Quotes:
LauriFB
"there's a 1/4 circle corner piece if you mean that?
I would guess it would be like 2m if stretched straight, and yes rails are like beams, just yellow beams."

Last edited:
Oh! Did they posted any info/image about size of those corners? I've seen them confirming that curved tracks exist, but no details.
2m radius would be enough to maje pretty large turret rings (multiple levels for more structural integrity). Especially with current weapon size - AC is only 4m long.

Edit: Found it! Curved rail is around 1.3m radius. Should be enough for decently sized turret ring.
Quotes:
LauriFB
"there's a 1/4 circle corner piece if you mean that?
I would guess it would be like 2m if stretched straight, and yes rails are like beams, just yellow beams."

this is good news, the important thing is that round rails exist, it doesn't matter particularly the diameter because with a little bit of engineering it will be possible to increase the size of the diameters (I already have some ideas in mind) and I'm glad that there are also round rails to improve the design of the ships, I had in mind to build a Gundam but I had set it aside due to the lack of round tracks but if there are I can go back to fantasizing.