coliseum arena mode

Joshua

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I have been thinking lately about players who just like to play games for their combat and how this game might be able to appeal more to that audience. My Idea is that you can have a coliseum that all players would have to travel to in the real game in order to participate. This mode in my thought could gain credits like the mining job and building and also be fun at the same time. I think that it would also be neat if you could enter your designed ships for free in this arena without destroying your current ship. This would mean no battle damage, however I think it would be fair if the looser has to pay credits when they loose.

Dommy

This can easily be achieved through player cooperation, and is already being worked on by many. Implementing this would be a waste, as the players can and already are making just this thing. Some will have different rules than others.

XenoCow

Master endo
There was a great player-made "thunderdome" game that people put on in Starmade years back. Each player was given limited resources and a time limit. They had to build their ship, then they fought in a huge sphere to see who would win.

Joshua

This can easily be achieved through player cooperation, and is already being worked on by many. Implementing this would be a waste, as the players can and already are making just this thing. Some will have different rules than others.
actually it would not be a waste since this would technically help get more money circulating in the game. Currently there are very few jobs available, this Idea is to help new players. Plus new players won't really understand what you are talking about since they are only going to start with basic operations. Somthing official would help make the game feel more complete. By the way this could also help players test out their newly developed ships in combat with little consequences. What you are saying has a lot of consequences.

Mr.Silver

Well-known endo
wow a gladiator arena, but whos gonna be the host in-charge of distribution of payment/expenses.

Joshua

wow a gladiator arena, but whos gonna be the host in-charge of distribution of payment/expenses.
I hinted at that in my original post. there will not be any pot, this is not poker and there is no gambling. that would be a terrible idea.

Joshua

I did not mention this in my original post, however this idea may help players test out any new designs they make for their ships.

Last edited:

Quinc

Well-known endo
I agree with the general concept, though having one specific combat area where you don't lost your ship, where as normally ship damage is permanent and important, doesn't feel right. There is a small fear people might ignore open world PVP in favor of the more convenient PVP, on the other hand it might still be better to give players both options. I am reminded of "Crossout," which has an open world, but it is small and it is clear the developers mostly abandoned it so they could focus on the PvP arenas. Of course a coliseum of players fighting on foot doesn't really have that problem. Dommy isn't wrong, but for newbies there is a need to have these things without expecting players to organize it themselves. I believe that Empire and Kingdom were implement to serve a similar purpose, though it isn't clear exactly how that would work yet. Presumably such staged fights would be team deathmatch between Empire and Kingdom.

Dommy

Presumably such staged fights would be team deathmatch between Empire and Kingdom.
I highly doubt that Empire and Kingdom will organise a fight between each other, as we will probably be in a state of constant war until the end of time. However, I still believe that Kingdom and Empire will host events, just not with each other.
Also, bold italic underline red text is extremely special, wanted to comment on that.