Comets

The most exciting time to play in games like Rust is at the wipe. Everyone is back on equal footing, and there is a mad scramble for resources and territory as players establish a new order. By Monday the server population has halved, by Wednesday only 10 people are online giving their guns away, and by Thursday the queue has 100+ people in it once again.

Starbase doesn't wipe ever, which is more immersive and leads to deeper interactions over the long term and more significant strategy and politics, but it means we lose out on the fun of starting again from scratch. This fun is what keeps a huge number of people coming back to Rust.

My suggestion is to add small moons with a unique resource, let's call them 'comets', that spawn somewhere outside the belt, then travel inwards towards Eos and burn up into nothing after 48 hours or so. Maybe one comet would spawn per weekend, and every active faction on the server would need to fight to establish a foothold and set up mining operations on it if they want to extract as much as possible of the rare resource. Ships above a certain size would burn up if they get too close to the comet, to prevent established groups from leveraging too much of their existing power - the idea would be for everyone to start on the comet with a relatively equal power level, and establish a self-sufficient operation there without bringing in resources from the outside.

It would need to be balanced each week so that the comet is just the right size to accommodate the server population. Too small and it'll be chaos, too big and everyone will just mine separately in peace like in the rest of the game.

YellowDucky

Well-known endo
Don't forget that game is still in early access, i bet devs will add lots of points of interest in future.
Well, if we be honest with ourselves its less EA and more still Alpha. I like the comet idea a lot, but I think it would be best to start by PLEASE FIXING THE CRAFTING IN STATIONS.

- The idea is one of the greatest I came across on this forum.
-
"burn up into nothing after 48 hours or so."
That's too magical if you ask me!
- It would be 100 times greater if they were actually moving (maybe not fast, but still moving). And falling at one of the moons or Eos in the end of their trajectory. Or even moving and evaporating, loosing the surface resources and uncovering the deeper layers. Mining a moving object would create a unique engeneering and mathematical challenge. And evaporiation would create that rush to get to the comet ASAP.
- One more problem is the "unique resource" form the comets. What coult that be?
-
Ships above a certain size would burn up if they get too close to the comet.
This will PREVENT less welthy and single players from looting the comet. If you are single, You can not realy fly far and cary much on a small ship. Even is you do, you will not get hudge profit from 50-150 crates of whatever-is-there. It's more easy and rewarding to make 300k money per hour just hauling intact roids in the SZ. Why so? Beacuse you will surely meet a GROUP of 3-4 fighters, 1 small miner and a hudge tanker, that keeps distance from all the fun. This group will woop the single small ship just for fun. When you are single and on a big ship - the risk is the same, but the reward is worth the risc.
-
Too small and it'll be chaos, too big and everyone will just mine separately
- I think chaos is good (no, i don't worship the Dark Gods). Chaos keeps the event interesting. The more chaotic it is, the less boring it gets over time. One more idea about the comets is telescopes or some other stauion-structures that can predict the mass, trajectory and content of the comet. Not directly but through some calculations. This will make the economy more viable (a telescope is not cheap) and will give another posibility to get more creadts, glory and brain-excersise for the math-mage type players.

Last edited:
- the idea would be for everyone to start on the comet with a relatively equal power level, and establish a self-sufficient operation there without bringing in resources from the outside
This is also a very interesting idea, but it's not about comets. A staic planet that disappears every 48h is too magical for this setting. Some kind of broken ancient warp-gate to the other side of the belt would be more in-game.
The concept is there is a pair of ancient warp-gates, teleporting the ships to the side of the belt, directly opposite to the Origin stations. On the opposite side of the gate there are good resourcds but every 48-72 hours a warp-storm, eos erruption, radiation flash or some other apocatyptic stuff happens. First 32 hrs the likelyhood of the storm is 0% but after it the likelyhood starts growing (build science stuff to be warned).
The gates on the far side can teleport any ship. The gate on the side closer to the origins can teleport only small ships. The end of the apocalypse charges the gate pair. Three charges is enough and the gates turn on. Just on friday evening or saturday morining. The gates turn off 1 minute or so after the start of the apocalypse. So the ones left behind could observe the event in all it's glory.

Gate behavior to fulfill your idea of "no resources from the outside":
- enter gates activate after collecting charge from 3 aplcalyptic events
- enter gates can teleport only small ships
- enter gate activate for a short period or can teleport a limited number of ships. Maybe both. The later the teleportation occures the quicker the gate discharges.
- exit gates activate 32 hours after the enter gates
- exit gates can teleport any ships

Last edited:
Damn! I like my idea of dameged warp-gate. Repiring the gates so they could be active 24*7 and let to teleport anything could be a global goal for all players.

A staic planet that disappears every 48h is too magical for this setting.
I wasn't clear enough in my original post; I meant that the comet would be a moving planet that travels constantly towards Eos, then starts to burn up 'on entry', the same way falling rocket parts and satellites do when entering Earth's atmosphere too quickly. The comet would heat up and gradually fall apart towards the end of the war, providing a cool climax.

I like the damaged warpgate idea too. It'd probably be much easier to implement than moving planets and can create the exact same 'mini wipe' effect.