Competition, Fairness, and Dev Intervention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
"Potential advantage"? "Intimate knowledge"? "Advance Knowledge"? "...the potential to alter the rules of the game in favor of one group or another..."?

Seriously mate? There is nothing in this game or any other where a developer can share a secret that is so powerful that the knowledge received, after the secret is shared, is so OP that one faction can rise above other factions in any way!
One single instance leading to an overwhelming advantage? Probably not, though it has happened in other similar games from similarly beloved developers who could certainly do no wrong in the eyes of their community -- until they did. Even without any sort of ill will or intent, small, incidental leaks of information easily add up to unwarranted advantages. I give an example earlier in the thread of a situation where an accidental information leak can butterfly-effect its way into a significant gameplay impact.

Developers should not play the game with players nor communicate with players?
I think you miss the point of being a player in CA!
Somewhat correct. I do not believe developers, who are the gods of their game worlds, can reasonably play the game and participate in faction politics/PvP as if they were just another player. I've explained my reasoning behind that stance at length in earlier posts and won't belabor the point here. Once again, however, this isn't about CA; this is about what happens during EA, which is less than 90 days away by FB's account. FB mentioned earlier in the thread that they will likely have an NDA or some other policy in place to prevent these sorts of issues during EA, which satisfies my concerns here as long as that does end up being the case.

Honestly mate, it is very rare that devs are communicating with players at all!
FB has plenty of official, fully public, and neutral channels through which they can communicate with players and both inform players of updates to the game (like videos, progress notes, and discord announcements) and gather feedback (like F1, the CA survey forms, and public forums here). There are also ways for the devs to provide in-game activities and events within the context of in-world lore characters and without forming favoritism-risk relationships with some groups of players over others. I appreciate that you, as a member of a dev faction, enjoy more direct communication with the devs than others do and don't want to lose it, but that is exactly the crux of the issue here. This is supposed to be a player driven game, not a game that comes down to which groups of players can best curry favor and patronage from various developer factions.

Last edited:

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
At this point and numerous responses to your statements. It is very evident that your entire thread is nothing more than an opinion piece over theoretical outcomes and theoretical problems. I believe everything you are concerned about has been adequately answered through the previous correspondence of the accused parties.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
I'm not making any accusations, but you are correct about my concerns being addressed. Joel and Akseli both mentioned that when EA comes around there will be policy changes to prevent some of these potential issues I've raised. So long as that's the case, and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm glad to see FB is aware of the concern and will be doing something about it. As I said, I thought this thread ran its course some time ago, but I can always clarify my earlier points where necessary.

Last edited:

JoelFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Indeed, I would like to state that the original issue is legit and understood by us. We have talked about these internally and are implementing "dev rules" as I mentioned before. We will post these rules publicly as well. I believe these will be sufficient at least for the time being. The rules will make the game experience better and clear up a lot of confusion once more players get involved in general.

I'll close this thread as I think it's starting to derail a bit. Another thread can be started once we have some of the rules implemented and we see how that works, and anybody is free to call us out on any violations of those or provide further thoughts on this, or dev factions in general (which will remain). I'm going to guess Early Access release will bring up this question again and that will be the first test of our new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.