Convenience Vs Cooperation

SUMMARY:
Some features that provide convenience such as trading hubs or bounty boards etc
Inadvertently remove meaningful player interactions that otherwise would have been required.
You can have the best of both worlds and keep both by making sure to have the more involved process of interacting directly with players be more profitable.
This way you get the convenience for players with limited time or who are new, but you still maintain the meaningful depth that most players crave.
This can be achieved with a tax on convenience services.
Then subsidize with that profit to provide rewards to new players, where those rewards can only be acquired through team work.
Its also important to not let the rewards scale. Otherwise large groups will take advantage and dominate smaller groups and factions.
This is possibly inherently provided by the trade tax, as managing all the direct trade of a large faction would be infeasible and so they are more likely to use the
trade services and get taxed. (not sure if this is the case in practice, but the ideal implementation should ideally not scale)

Convenience Vs Cooperation

This game looks really promising and I can't wait to see what it grows into.
However I have seen a lot of multi-player games fall prey to the common mistake
of inadvertently punishing player interaction in the process of trying to provide players convenience.
Where as with some careful consideration both can be provided.

PLAYER INTERACTION VALUE:
Player interaction in multi-player games and especially in MMOs is extremely important as it is the core mechanism that gives rise to engaging player driven content
such as group mining expeditions, player driven jobs such as defend cargo or even help attack as mercenaries and the grander desire to join Factions and even provides motives for grand scale PvP.
And can help elevate the felling of monotony or grind from repetitive tasks.
Needless to say it's valuable and if players buy a game with the expectation to be drawn into a thriving player driven world and end up not finding it, they will inevitably become dissatisfied and quit.

SUGGESTION:
I would like to suggest that player interaction should be financially incentivised by taking it into account when balancing out rewards and treat is as a resource not dissimilar to say ore or fuel.
Such that if a task requires player interaction of any kind, then the effort of organizing a group and working together is rewarded in the same ways as the effort of acquiring ore would be rewarded.
If you don't do this and you provide lots of convenience such as trading hubs and bounty boards etc
you end up cutting out the need for players to organize the processes themselves and loose out on the interactions they would have had with each other
and as a result you are inadvertently punishing players who would like to work together or trade directly by making solo play more profitable.
One simple way to factor in the value of player interaction is to tax the convenience services that circumvent it.
For example adding a 25% tax to any trade done within markets at stations would incentivise players to find their own buyers or sellers
as well as having the knock on effect of providing the necessity to organise the hand-off which may include the need to hire protection further driving more player interaction.

IMPACT:
This allows you to keep the convenience of these services without making players completely dependent on them.
You can use this tax income to further encourage player interaction by subsidizing behaviors that involve player interaction,
this is especially effective when aimed at beginners as getting new players used to interacting and working together early on, will lead to that behavior being more common in the entire player base.
A very simple example may be to provide players a bonus when doing the basic beginner jobs if they are in a group.
If players make 20% more for every player in their group when doing a basic mining job then it's well worth the time and effort to find other players. (cap at 5 players)
Getting players used to the process of grouping up lowers the barrier for entry later on and acts as a player interaction tutorial.
(useful considering not every player will necessarily have much experience in grouping up with random players due to trust issues developed from games that encourage players to kill and betray each other)

IMPLEMENTATION:
The tax and reward percentages would probably need to be flexible as having all players take advantage of the subsidized group work and avoid tax through direct trade would bleed the reserve dry.
Flexible percentages based on the size of the reserve would result in player interaction being encouraged when it's not occurring enough
and would not be incentivise much at all if players are interacting effectively, resulting in an equilibrium.

You don't have to restrict taxation to just money or resource costs. You can also tax through difficulty.
eg: if the beginer jobs requires you to use many tools and switching tools takes time then a group that has each member using different tools
would then have less down time switching especially if the tasks can be performed simultaneously(assembly line), which somewhat makes up for the fact that groups have to share the reward.
eg: mining might require a small blast charge to crack the rock open, then a pick or drill to separate ore from rock and then a mining cart to carry the heavy ore to the smeltery with an operator who has to be up on top of the gantry to access control panel.
The same could be done with say a PvE job that requires players to kill some NPCs, that would be too hard for an individual but possible as a group.
Or by making ship fuel or Warp costs very high, as then the most profitable way to mine would be by taking many players in a single transport ship.

The success of this system would depend on how well it is communicated. Players are not going to trade directly to avoid tax if they don't know its there, and also wont work together if they don't know about the bonus income.
So it needs to be effectively communicated early on.

RESULT:
On the surface this idea may appear to punish solo players and mean that big groups can lord supreme.
However if the benefits don't scale up well then the opposite is true and you can focus the benefits on encouraging modest size groups.
(good for performance by avoiding large player zergs)
For example a large faction will have trouble filling buy and sell trades in person if they are processing large quantities
and will therefore need to rely on the station trade services for the majority of their trade and as such incur the tax.
Solo players will then be able to benefit from this tax by forming small groups with random players due to the incentives from jobs and
as a byproduct become acquainted with other players who will likely want to continue working together and thus protect each other through increased numbers.
So solo players benefit more relative to large factions on the condition that they effectively group up with other players.

FURTHER:
It may also be worth taxing wealth. By having a tax on money, storage space taken up by ships and item banks. And possibly by adding some slow inflation by putting slightly more money into the game that gets taken out by sinks.
(I'm no economist but most countries seem to do this to encourage spending to avoid stagnation that would occur if everyone horded their wealth)
A slim tax of a few percent every year will not be noticeable to a beginner player but will put pressure on large groups if they wish to maintain a large store of wealth.
As a result the desire to grow an empire and become a strong and large force is slowly meet by the diminishing returns caused by income loss of wealth tax.
eg: if you earn 100 a year and get taxed 5% a year, first year you earn 100 and lose 5 resulting in 95 total, next year you go up to 195 but lose 9.75 giving 185.
And so on until an equilibrium is reached around year 22 where you have 2000 and lose 100 tax every year matching your income.
So if groups wish to become larger or more powerful they have to devise ever more ingenious ways of improving their annual income, as apposed to just having been around for a long time.
This makes the catch up requirements for smaller or new groups less overwhelming and also means the larger groups will still be hungry for growth and resources later on as apposed to having no goals and becoming bored (stagnation).
(downside is that taking a break from the game for any period of time is punished and so can lead to feeling forced to play, inuring frustration similar to games that introduce dailies. Perhaps a balance can be struck? 5% lost a year does not seem too aggressive)

very interesting ideas and touching a super important aspect of the game to get right if starbase is to succeed in medium-long term playerbase growth/rentetion. player interaction and economy is what keeps these kind of games together in the long term.

Your idea of taxing corporations and service is great imo. i agree with all the advantages you listed. I'm 100% behind taxing services, but making a tax on wealth, although reasonable, can feel pretty bad and discouraging. you ended up mentionning it at the end. There's also the fact that all this is pushing the game in favor of mid-sized groups, which is overall good for game health but can also let down lots of people who enjoy being in megacorps.

on another note, i don't know if the plan is that stations will have unlimited supplies of goods and relatively fixed selling prices, but i can see that also being detrimental in mid-long term metagame health. one thing that EvE online did very well, for the most part, is the economy. (almost) everything that exists in the game is made or gathered by players. everyone can have a role and it enables diverse activities.

right now in starbase, mining the cheapest mineral is never worth it since it sells for so little. i think this feels bad. like 50% of the asteroids you see are just filler that exist for nothing. if the whole stock of that mineral came from players, the market prices would eventually go way up because there would be demand yet no one willing to farm it. this would in turn make lots of people creating custom ships and starting expeditions to mine the stuff, increasing supply, etc... until it stabilizes. then suddenly people discover a new way to get to moon but it necessitates another formerly medium quality mineral in large quantities, creating a boom in that market, etc... a sort of dynamic economy like that is very much needed and can make all the difference in the world.

sorry if i didn't really discuss what you said that much and just started laying out my own (much less structured) thoughts but tbh you were pretty thorough, i didn't have much to add :)

Last edited:

XenoCow

Master endo
Firstly, well written post. I like the structure and reasoning process. Secondly, this idea of engineering for social interaction reminds me of a building on campus. It's a huge gray and imposing building with twisting halls and dead ends. The architect designed it to be confusing so that visitors would have to ask to be lead to where they wanted to go. Thus promoting social interactions since it's the sociology building.

As far as player interaction to cut deals and post jobs, I'm all for that. That's pretty much what the group I've started is all about! I have a job board so employers can post jobs and freelance players can show their interest, then the employer can pick whom they want for the job based on price offers and reputation (there's a bio board as well with ratings).

I like the goal that the taxes you suggest have. However, I worry that the monetary ones may feel contrived unless they have a clear use that benefits players, the income tax in particular. I think that factions that build stations could impose their own tariffs that would tax players for the convenience of using their station's services and incentivize station building.

Overall, I agree, I think that player interaction should be paramount in this game, I hope that the devs create tools that players can use to create those meaningful interactions in a sustainable way.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
As important as social interactions are, it must be taken with caution.
There is a video made by Extra Credits on Youtube that explains the "social curve"
Basically, it means starting with solo play, and encouraging more and more social interactions as the game goes, and in a way that does not make the player uncomfortable.
Basically, don't let players socialize when they don't know how to play the game yet; don't force players to talk(type) to random strangers when they don't want to; keep solo play at least possible.
Anyways, good idea, but has to be carefully implemented. Afterall, if you are really comfortable with people you won't be playing a lot of games.

MAXD

Veteran endo
For people who social discomfort like me, it's hard to achieve bigger cooperation.
Though I have a group, I still afraid to chat on sound channel.DX
I like members get together for a target, we can do the same thing but I don't like "You reload, I fire" type of coop.
But the rule of group up have to be complete. I agree on that. Or players may afraid of betray and don't like to group up.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my suggestion and give feedback. (I felt like I should have made it more concise, was a bit too rambly).

I agree with the concerns about wealth tax. May just be an outright bad idea, but I have been watching some interesting economics videos recently (economics explained on youtube) and a common theme that gets brought up is how dangerous inflation and deflation can be to an economy.
Not sure how to tackle such a problem but if the devs want a player driven economy then they will eventually have to solve it.

XenoCow ; The social engineering campus sounds really interesting, would love to see mid and higher level gameplay that leans into similar ideas.
Also completely agree with FranklinZ on your point about the social curve. Was thinking the same thing myself but forgot to mention it.
(must have see that vid and had the idea rattling around subconsciously).
Thats partly why the first suggestions is to provide a bonus to income for groups.
If a solo player does not want or feel ready to group up then they can still progress. Grouping up is encouraged but not forced.