[DE] Capital Ships - Keine Großkampfschiffe

As the word occurs often and I have not seen it yet: How shall we translate the word "Capital Ships"? One translation you might find through google or wikipedia would be "Großkampfschiff". I believe this to be unfitting, as there will be civilian capital ships, and that word necessarily implies a military function. As that stands, we could also use the word "Großschiff", which, when translated literally, just means "great(in the sense of big) ship".

Other proposals might be: Mutterschiff (Mothership), Riesenschiff (Giant Ship), Hauptschiff (Main/Capital Ship - "Haupt" is also used for the word "Hauptstadt" (Capital city), Megaschiff (...). I might also think of some others, but those come to mind. Kapitalschiff as a translation I would not approve. It sounds like the ECB of ships.

Another question is on blueprints: Do we continue using "Baupläne", or should we switch to "Blaupausen". Both are fine, I would just like to establish a precedent so this doesn't come up again.

Moin.

Mit Blick auf die sich inzwischen heraus kristallisierenden Belagerungs-Szenarien dürfte "Großkampfschiff" noch mit die treffendste Übersetzung werden. Darüber hinaus wäre in dem Kontext auch Schlachtschiff denkbar - Schlachtschiff etwa im Sinne einer USS Iowa im Vergleich zu kleineren Kampfschiffen, welche auf der militärisch-maritimen Seite als Schnellboote bis Fregatten (im Falle einer Besetzung mit mehreren Personen) verstanden werden könnten. Ferner denkbar wäre Kreuzer.

Militärische Fluggeräte zugrunde legend, wäre eine Capital Ship wohl am ehesten als Bomber aufzufassen, kleinere Schiffe als Jagdflieger. Im Mix aus beidem wäre ein Capital Ship, wenn es auch kleinere Schiffe an Bord mitführen kann, wohl am ehesten als (Flugzeug-) Träger zu verstehen.

Zivile Schiffe zugrunde legend, könnte ein Capital Ship auch als Frachter oder eben als Groß- bzw. Hauptschiff.

Was den Blueprint angeht, denke ich, wäre Bauplan die beste Wahl. Blaupausen dürften insbesondere den jüngeren Generationen nicht so geläufig sein, weil sie im deutschsprachigen Raum, anders als im US-amerikanischen Raum als Bauvorlage eher keine Rolle gespielt haben. Die meisten Bauvorlagen im Sinne amerikanische Blueprints sind hier bei uns technische Zeichnungen und in der Regel schwarz auf weiß.

-----

With view on siege scenarios that have now crystallized out, "Grosskampfschiff" should be one of the most appropriate translations. In addition, "Schlachtschiff / battleship" would also be conceivable in this context - "Schlachtschiff / battleship" in the sense of a USS Iowa in comparison to smaller combat ships, which on the military-maritime side could be understood as "Schnellboote / speedboats" to "Fregatten / frigates" (in the case of an occupation with several people), or in comparison to Battlestar Galactica. A "Kreuzer / cruiser" would also be conceivable.

Based on military aircraft, a capital ship would most likely be seen as a "Bomber / bomber", and smaller ships as a "Jaeger / fighter" pilot. In a mix of both, a capital ship, if it can also carry smaller ships on board, would most likely be understood as an "(Flugzeug / aircraft)" "Träger / carrier".

Based on civilian ships, a capital ship could also be used as a "Frachter / freighter" or as a "Grossschiff / large ship" or "Hauptschiff / mainship".

As for the blueprint, I think "Bauplan" would be the best choice. "Blaupausen / Blueprints" are unlikely to be so familiar to the younger generations in particular, because in German-speaking countries, unlike in the US, they did not play a role as building templates. Most of the construction templates in the sense of American blueprints here are "Technische Zeichnungen" / technical drawings and usually in black and white.