Do stored materials take up physical space on stations?

Amos.37

Veteran endo
I know there's mention of station storage and player inventories, but has it been explained yet whether materials and components take up physical space in station inventories?
Basically, will stations need to construct warehouses/cargo bays for storage?
Will materials take up physical space in said warehouses or will they despawn into the station storage?
Can station storage be accessed from anywhere on the station? Or will players need to go to certain terminals or even the actual warehouses where the materials are stored to access them?

Azelous

Veteran endo
Going to be very interesting if they are stored physically.. I think virtual storage only is more likely.

CalenLoki

Master endo
My guess is virtual storage with physical modules to increase capacity. So SE style.

My wet dream is fully physical, with option to despawn content of closed hangars (for performance)
At least on player stations

I hope it will be stored like it is in the Modular crate. you can only interact with the materials when they are open.
would also be good for the performance.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
While I'd love a fully physical system, I agree that this is unlikely for game performance.
I'm intrigued by the idea of the modular crate system, could you elaborate?

I would imagine a system similar to this:
You have some space (like some sort of hangar or other space that can be closed of) and the materials would be physicly stored in these storage space.
When you would close said SS the models of the recources would unload and with that there would be no real performance issue.
And since there is technology like the mcs you would be able to store more stuff than when you could outside of an SS. (basicly the same as with the mcs just maybe a bit stronger so you could easyer store a big amount of recources on stations)
The whole idea is based around how to make the mcs better for bigger quantitys that a space station would need.