Docking Tech

Docking Tech
After some thoughts, I have realized we don't really have a way to connect two or more ships effectively.​
In this case, I don't really consider Cargo Lock Beams and Cargo Lock Frames a viable/effective solution, as they really are the best at transporting salvage or asteroids (bolting two ships together should not really be the solution either).​
So I'd propose the following concept of connectors/docking ports. There could be different versions or approaches to this.​
What all should have in common is this - they connect two ships together when aligned and within a certain distance of each other or in contact with each other. There may be different sizes for them.​
Concept 1:​
One type of connector, that both connects the two ships and can connect the power/data nets of the two (maybe add an inbuilt option to disable the data transfer).​
Concept 2:​
Two types of connectors, one structural, one for electricity and data transfer (maybe add an inbuilt option to disable the data transfer).​
In addition, there may be an option to make the connectors mechanical (no electricity required to keep up the connection), or magnetic (requires electricity to keep the ships together).​
So why should this be implemented? Here are a few things that may be possible/improved upon using this.​

• Freighters - If it is now possible to connect a ship to another one, you may be able to create container freighters, which may open up certain gameplay aspects further (i.e. having a standard container (size), that can be owned by one company, but transported by another - may be useful for logistics based companies like the ACC)
  • Modularity - With the possibility to connect two ships together, there may be an option to offer easy modularity to ships, this may increase the lifetime of certain craft immensely and quick refits can put a ship configured to do one thing in an entirely different specialization
  • Carriers - The creation carriers and ships capable of transporting other ships, (without needing i.e. cargo lock beams) will become vastly easier and more viable, by allowing the ship's structures and data networks to connect and with that help keep the two together and streamlining carrier operations
In conclusion, I'd like to thank you for reading through the suggestion, if you have any questions/feedback/criticism feel free to share it.​

XenoCow

Master endo
You are very right, some sort of docking mechanism is necessary.
In addition, there may be an option to make the connectors mechanical (no electricity required to keep up the connection), or magnetic (requires electricity to keep the ships together).
I like this idea best personally. I think that some sort of sticky contact device would mean all the difference. As far as network sharing, network relays would work wonderfully here.

I could imagine standards being created for docking connectors (A x B doorway, clamps/magnets here, relays there, etc.). Having just the tools to make the docking ports would be much more powerful than a dedicated device. I could see a clamp/magnet being used for ejection seats, escape pods, drop tanks, and all sorts of other things that as you said, could benefit from modularity.

Having just the tools to make the docking ports would be much more powerful than a dedicated device. I could see a clamp/magnet being used for ejection seats, escape pods, drop tanks, and all sorts of other things that as you said, could benefit from modularity.
That was more or less the plan, having a connector, to create i.e. docking ports, I think the name of docking port just gets the initial point across better. But yeah the main Idea is to have the components to connect two ships or components.