Don't disallow storing ore in ships

ZombieMouse

Well-known endo
I saw this post on Reddit stating the FB wants to remove the ability to store ore in ships:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starbase/comments/yx6g0z/_/iwpo4fn
I implore you not to disallow storing ore in ships. There are literally no upsides to such a move. All you will do is force players with no inventory to store ore by bolting blocks together on ships, which is totally stupid and so tedious as to drive the few players left to quit. There is zero fun to be had in manually placing each ore block to store it and manually picking up each ore block to use it.

shado20

Veteran endo
we only have 10k storage on stations, 10k on the EBM block and 10k on capital , my mining ship has 1024 cans on it, i fill station inventory quickly. the last i loged into the game i could not unload my ship into the station as i had 10k of items on the auction house. why the auction house items is tied with the inventory needs to be addressed. we need the ability to handle more, not less. i am only 1 playing by my self and i'm having inventory problems. how is this game supposed to work with a group with more than 1 of me type players playing?

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
disallowing stored ore in ships and despawning them is important data wise as if you store too much of it. you will lose everything. its why other games like minecraft where if you have a chest filled with chests filled alot of times with NBT data.

your save file gets corrupted because the NBT data is too big. when Inventory 2.0 comes in along with station storage crate types. then maybe it will get fixed properly. however the plan as of now when the dev team returns (that is if any investors actually do their job and not withhold. and no, not talking abut Rus or ukr investors. EVERY investor withheld their money because of the war) the capital ships are changing where they are removing the civilian and military titles. what else may happen is yet to be known. as they "survived the first phase" of development.

XenoCow

Master endo
Why not make storing ore have a power cost like how the crates worked in their original introduction video? That way people will have to maintain them and not just sit on fat hoards of ore.

I do suspect (haven't read the reddit post) that some of the reason for wanting to limit players from storing ore is to incentivize them to use it to build ships and stations (or sell it) instead of playing alone and doing nothing but mine.

shado20

Veteran endo
what ever is done we need more storage, 10k is so little in a game that needs so many different types and so much ore to build. i was hoping to add cargo crates to the capital ship and make it look all industrial like. but we cant bolt anything to the cap, and factory halls that would allow me to do this don't work on capitals...
like i was saying also, the 10k storage also applies to the items you have on the market, so last i played i had a empty station inventory and could not use any of it as it was full, it was all on the market. so i was for the most part i was forced to quit playing till my markets sold! i needed the money to assemble ships...

so is this "disallowing stored ore in ships and despawning them" being talked about or is it happening and when?

the biggest problem i have with this dev team is, where are the devs talking about the game and changes at to the public? discord is a wall of useless talking, they don't seem to use there own forms... ???

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
only lauri tells the outcome as he is also the planner. for the talking part to "us" though, well theres the player council. but so far nothing new has been talked about publically other than capital ships being removed of their civilian and military status, so they are just "capital ships" but there was also inventory 2.0 with the crates and a storage hall. but they need developers to make the stuff and the rusi-ukraine war is not helping at all because investors (not just rus and ukr) are withholding their money. so they are now running off of fumes to hopefully keep up

pavvvel

Veteran endo
disallowing stored ore in ships and despawning them is important data wise as if you store too much of it. you will lose everything. its why other games like minecraft where if you have a chest filled with chests filled alot of times with NBT data
if the crates won't store ore, how do you loot ships..?
how do you take resources from a miner player who has been killed?

It is necessary for resources to be stored in cargo crates so that players can loot other players.

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
if the crates won't store ore, how do you loot ships..?
how do you take resources from a miner player who has been killed?

It is necessary for resources to be stored in cargo crates so that players can loot other players.
no no you got it wrong, you are able to store ore on ships. you just cant store the ships in the station that HAS ore in it.

ZombieMouse

Well-known endo
[...] well theres the player council (im in it [...]
Well, then I would just like to convey to you what is going on from one of the few remaining active corps. We have mostly two kinds of active players remaining: Ship designers and miners. The ship designers are still making new mining ships, and the miners are the kinds of players who set themselves goals like "mine X amount of each ore", or are collecting materials for capital ships.

Without being able to organise their ore in ship-based-storage, the miners will stop playing because there is no better way to organise their ore, and they have too much to use station storage anyway. Without the miners, the ship designers don't have any clients either, so no reason for them to play either.

Whatever the technical database reasons are, removing this 'feature' without replacing it with an alternative, as good or better, will impact gameplay in a very negative way. It will probably be the last straw for even those players hardcore enough to still be playing Starbase despite everything else.

Speaking for those in my corp, people would much rather see the long delayed inventory 2.0 than station siege.

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
well last time ive been told by the creative director publically, Inventory 2.0 and station siege are tied together in requirements. and likely be released together. but we will see after they find another investor.