Easy Build Mode Makes Me Cry

Kodey

Veteran endo
As the title says, I don't like Easy Build Mode(EBM). It's a cool idea to help players from SE or Rust easily transition to SB. However, I don't like how it's taking over station design and especially Capital ship design. I'm worried about the testing/experiment feeling will be gone if capital ships only have EBM, leaving any creative ideas for testing or just pure fun.

Also, this may only apply to me as a historic/aesthetic + function builder, but I want to make haha funny meme ships work despite being a plane/boat. This would be especially great for civ caps which won't be seeing combat anyways.

I may be the only one worried about this, but I wanted to address it. The SSC is just a marvel of a sandbox for me and many others, and I hate seeing it get abandoned more and more.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
EBM was always planned to be just first step leading to SSC, unfortunately things got delayed and we are not quite yet there. However, all EBM modules come to SSC too, including station and capital ship building. Also initial experience will guide players to SSC once it works.

Kodey

Veteran endo
EBM was always planned to be just first step leading to SSC, unfortunately things got delayed and we are not quite yet there. However, all EBM modules come to SSC too, including station and capital ship building. Also initial experience will guide players to SSC once it works.
Great! So (just to get some more info) will we be able to get a vision/insight of what it would look like compared to the current SSC, or will it just be EBM with SSC controls?

While we're on this topic, I'd like to add that it would be nice to be able to choose a "default" mode for stations. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to make a ship upgrade/repair at a station and wasted my time because I didn't realize EBM was on by default. I know visibility changes are coming for this to make it easier to tell what mode its in, but having the ability to just skip EBM altogether would be so much better.

I also prefer to not use EBM at all if possible so the OP is definitely not alone. I enjoy the challenge of building everything from scratch and the creative freedom that comes along with that. I even enjoy the challenge of upgrading/repairing things that other people have built while being forced to do it in space and on the moon due to not having access to the blueprint (guess I'm a bit of a masochist in this regard, lol). Not having the ability to build cap ships by hand without the assistance of EBM/modules will be a huge disappointment for me, personally. Give me this creative control and I will return the favor with way more time invested into this game - spending months on end just building all sorts of crazy/monstrous contraptions and whatever else my whacky brain decides to come up with. I'm sure I'm far from being the only one who feels this way.

I've mentioned my stance on EBM in a few places (other websites). I do not like it. I only joined SB on day 1 of EA. it took me all of a few days to realise EBM was a waste of my time. Not because of the bugs, but because of the limitations inherent in puzzle piece design. This seems like a lot of development time being spent on a system that most actual builders wont utilize and the RUST players of the galaxy wont use. Then to top it off, all the new features are being forced into EBM?

you really think people who think a 2x2 in rust is adequate are going to go through the effort of building something in EBM? No way, even as dumbed down as it is. It's still infinitely more complex then they'll bother with. Not when asking someone for a blueprint or ship shop is so easy.

So instead of getting a blueprint design feature for capital ships. we're getting EBM in space building with prefab puzzle blocks. I'm sorry but I grew out of the shape toys when I was 2. Give me back my AutoCAD.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Great! So (just to get some more info) will we be able to get a vision/insight of what it would look like compared to the current SSC, or will it just be EBM with SSC controls?
SSC with EBM modules and ability to choose a toolset which works best with that (but all tools are available). We also have to solve how you take the ship/station out from there, but most likely it just uses the modules from inventory (and requires some delay if the blueprint was just copy-pasted, but the SSC time itself is taken into account).

It's also worth to note that stations and capitals support also individual parts, so those can also be used in SSC just like now.

We also have to solve how you take the ship/station out from there, but most likely it just uses the modules from inventory (and requires some delay if the blueprint was just copy-pasted, but the SSC time itself is taken into account).
I'm imagining a scenario where you build a massive crane in space and when you load a blueprint into it, it pulls parts out of your supply ship and places them where they belong on the "grid" inside your hangar and/or station build area. How awesome would it be to see something like that in action? From there, you can either manually bolt/weld pieces into place or you can build some robotic devices that can assist with fabrication.

It's also worth to note that stations and capitals support also individual parts, so those can also be used in SSC just like now.
:love:

Kodey

Veteran endo
I feel like I should revive this, specifically because this seems to go against what we’ve been told.
However, all EBM modules come to SSC too, including station and capital ship building.
More on this, based off the latest progress notes - especially with the new billboard and lights. What’s up with this exclusivity anyways? Why do stations, capital ships and EBM get these exclusive items, while the SSC doesn’t. I’d love to have a billboard on my submarine! I’d love to have the Column pieces back. Some items I can understand, but a lot are just very confusing, like the station-only floodlights.
5D4235BE-561B-4C12-9B0C-88EA575ABA6C.jpeg

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
I'll help necro this, its worth it:
I'll toss my very blunt and abrassive two cents in:
I think EBM in its current implementation was a mistake. I think an on-boarding process is nessisary, but think it should have been SSC casual mode from the get go (more or less SSC with modules). The EBM has been called 'hardmode' (or get several comments about how "painful" it looks to do) or similar a lot by people on twitch, because its genuinely harder to use than the SSC, and makes things needlessly slow due to being in-Universe (though the change to multiblock placement on PTU was nice, thanks for that).
It takes all the worst parts of space engineers survival, but without the variety of parts.

Better designed modules (more efficient) would do wonders, (as well as giving us the sub-parts of the modules that clearly exist, but cant be used standalone) especially if they were in the SSC via casual mode. I really can not stress this enough, the current system is like pulling teeth to do stations at half the EBZ scale, much less anything larger than one EBZ.

As for SSC capitals/stations... I think everyone would accept a half lot-designer setup where it blueprints and autofills 1 part per second via a SSC blueprint.

sort-of side note - SSC is really efficient.. sure would be nice to be able to use all parts there... like tripods. or inverted station triangles..

P.S. EBM is really hard to use compared to ssc, especially with only two axis of rotation. Really. really. Also, I want cool capital ships, not some lame box. I would never design one right now. If you need a measurement of how bad it is, go online for a sci-fi ship, and go make a perfect replica of it. Tell me how it went!

EDIT: We say these things because we love Starbase, and want it to be the best it can be - and it is CLEARLY better than EBM is letting it be. EMB lets the project down so hard, when everything else is just so good. <3

Last edited:
EBM in my opinion is the worst part of the starbase. It is inconvenient, not variable, clumsy and it breeds a lot of placement errors, which later result in huge ugly gaps.

I consider it a huge mistake that testing of all new functions goes through EBM completely ignoring SSC.

For a long time I tried to overcome myself, I tried to build stations, I tried to make them different from boxes. But every construction session with EBM each time ended in frustration and alt+f4 because of the inability to do what I want and because of the damn gaps.

MAXD

Veteran endo
It destroyed countless new players' patient and directly lead to the most new players' quit.
The station EBM and CAP EBM maybe acceptable, but ship EBM is THE REASON keeping new players away.
Although it was designed to make the game more friendly to new players. IRONIC
At the same time, waiting for new feature is the reason keeping old (and some of the core) players away.

Last edited:

Kodey

Veteran endo
EBM is the most absurd and inconvient feature in the entire game.
Just... Scrap it already or make the old Designer available for Stations, Moon Base and Capital Ships, please!
Just something of my personal opinion (more for the designer/devs to see) I'd much rather just see EBM modules, especially the ship EBM ones, slapped onto the SSC like the old tutorial ship.

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
SSC designers for stations moon bases and capitals are already planned. the idea the devs had is to make it compatible with EBM in some form (likely the lot designer from CA. where it had 2 editors that you swap to and changes what parts you use) its pretty much the same thing as kodey's idea

SSC designers for stations moon bases and capitals are already planned. the idea the devs had is to make it compatible with EBM in some form (likely the lot designer from CA. where it had 2 editors that you swap to and changes what parts you use) its pretty much the same thing as kodey's idea
Он уже был в определённом виде год назад. Он уже работал, как и работала механика заполнения чертежа посредством кораблей принтеров. Более того он был доступен игрокам так как вы всё ещё можете найти руководства по использованию. Всего-то и нужно было продолжать совершенствовать этот инструмент.

Но FB внезапно сосредоточились на EBM. Я знаю, что они хотели сделать строительство более дружелюбным для... я не знаю для кого это было сделано!

Нет, честно, я не знаю ни одного игрока который сказал бы: Эй EBM такой удобный по сравнению с ручным строительством или с чертёжником. Зато я знаю множество людей которые не хотят прикасаться к EBM даже 18 метровой палкой.

Kodey

Veteran endo
He was already in a certain form a year ago. It was already working, as was the mechanics of filling the blueprint by means of printer ships. Moreover, it was available to players as you can still find usage guides. All that was needed was to continue to improve this instrument.

But FB suddenly focused on EBM. I know they wanted to make the building more friendly to ... I don't know who it was for!

No, honestly, I don’t know of a single player who would say: Hey EBM is so easy to use compared to manual construction or a draftsman. But I know a lot of people who do not want to touch EBM even with an 18 meter stick.
(ran this through google translate)

And yea, it was really sudden with the implementation of EBM, while we knew about it in alpha, it was never tested with the alpha community, but I’m pretty sure that’s obvious based off the state of EBM currently. At least there’s the PTU, where they can finally test their EBM. I hope that this player council and whatever they do can actually have a discussion with FB about EBM.