Electro magnets for ship

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
Something I would like to see is electro magnets in the game in the following suggested forms;

1)Maglocks. Just like the ones used on doors, when they contact a metal surface and are powered then lock on (the same way magboots do but with more force). The could be useful for making docking clamps (for friendly and unfriendly purposes)

2)Scrapyard style electromagnets. These ones you would mount on a ship and could use to attract any loose metal object floating in close proximity when powered. Useful if you want to grab and tow a pile of small floating debris bits without having to do it piece by piece by hand.

XenoCow

Master endo
How would these and the cargo lock beams be different enough to warrant having both in the game?

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
Magnets would only attact metal objects like frames/plates/devices, Ores may not be magnetic unless they contain ferromagnetic metals. Also the cargo lock beams locks items in place inside its field where electromagnets(not maglocks) would be more of an attraction force apply and further from the magnet the weaker the force, so trying to drag a electromagnet behind your ship you may collect debris but if travelling at speed the "space drag" will cause bits to fall away from the magnet as the drag force is more then the magnetic attaction force.

But I image you could use the cargo lock and magnets in tandom, use the magnet to pull the debris into your cargo lock area, then powerdown the magnet and power up your cargo lock.

This would just make people use nonferrous composites and or plastic Coating to prevent it. (realistic scenario) I see more of a Grappling Jaws of life Claw being a more terrifying thing for Raiders to use. it adds more of a gameplay mechanic and doesn't let just anyone board or magnetically attach random thrusters to other people ships just to Troll people. I see this being useful for ship landing though only if they're like a smooth shock absorber to prevent just Raming all your ships mas into a sharp point at the landing pad.

XenoCow

Master endo
use the magnet to pull the debris into your cargo lock area, then powerdown the magnet and power up your cargo lock.
Isn't that what the tractor beam already does and is used for on ships such as the pincer?

I don't think having magnets is such a bad idea, but I think that their purpose shouldn't intersect with items that are already in game. I could see magnets in use as a sort of "cargo lock" surface, where items that would normally need to be bolted together can be controlled with YOLOL to attach or detach. This kind of limited, but functionally different, magnet could be used for the docking clamps like you mentioned, or ship parts that need to move between two positions but can't be moving while the ship is in flight.