Frustration with Refill propellant tank and rods Vo. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

Currently, in order to refill the propellant tanks and the Rods, you must have the skill unlocked in the corresponding research tree.

My question is: Why?

I'm not a mechanic, but instead I can fill my car with gasoline.

I understand that to manufacture, it is necessary. But to fill in?

What if I want to buy a ship that has components, not only level 1, but level 2 or 3? We are forced to spend time unlocking those abilities at the risk of being stranded in the middle of space.

I believe that it should be able to be filled without the need to unlock any specific skill

Womble

Veteran endo
You can refil your components without needing the skill you just go to the AH (the gas station) and buy the refills (full rods and tanks). Making refills at a crafting bench out in The Black yourself is more like getting a jerrycan of crude oil and boiling it up to make petrol on a gas stove by the side of the road. Which I can't do, and I'm guessing you'd find challenging.

You should be able to sell your empties on the AH, though. And empty and full components should look different.

Sylwester

Active endo
You can still refill any propellant tank using small propellant tank and 2 resource bridges. Fuel rods only go up to tier 2.

As for the question Why? Game progression I guess...
Risking getting stuck in space? That's part of the game. You make mistakes, face the consequences and learn to better plan ahead next time.

From my point of view the problem is that you can buy stuff you did not unlock yet (I prefer games with some form of progression and challenge rather than sandbox that gives you access to everything right away). Imagine playing mmorpg and buying end game items from AH and then asking why do you need to level up your character to be able to use them.

This game progression is mixed bag. In EBM or space you are limited by research tree, but you can just buy any ship part in ship designer or AH and having research only allows you to reduce assembly cost. Hopefully when 1.0 arrives the progression will be more refined.

I'm not a mechanic, but instead I can fill my car with gasoline.

I understand that to manufacture, it is necessary. But to fill in?

I believe that it should be able to be filled without the need to unlock any specific skill
Filling fuel in your car is easy drive up to a station stick in the nozzle then pull the trigger ching its done.
You can do the same with your ship pull it to a fuelling station and its done.

What about long trips you ask?
Well you can for sure strap an extra tank to your car for extra fuel or carry extra jerry cans but can you as a normal person manufacture fuel on your back seat even if you had all the materials needed? No you need to learn how first.

The same concept applies if you need extra fuel take it with you or ask a tanker to fly to your location to bring you some.

You can refil your components without needing the skill you just go to the AH (the gas station) and buy the refills (full rods and tanks).
Thanks genius, but the problem is that you are relegated to circling near the Origins and not being able to venture out to explore far away. Which is precisely the point of this thread.

Making refills at a crafting bench out in The Black yourself is more like getting a jerrycan of crude oil and boiling it up to make petrol on a gas stove by the side of the road. Which I can't do, and I'm guessing you'd find challenging.
Perhaps I could agree with you with this simile, but to be able to apply it you should bear in mind that it is not necessary that you do it, since you have a gas station every 40 km on the highway.

As here, we do not have this refueling network, we are forced to carry a huge amount of spare parts, or unlock the ability to refill them.

From my point of view the problem is that you can buy stuff you did not unlock yet (I prefer games with some form of progression and challenge rather than sandbox that gives you access to everything right away).
I like the progression. But not the forced one for basic game mechanics. As it is, the one to be able to fill the propellant tank. What will you tell me, what difference is there between filling a small propellant to a medium or large one. The material is the same, ice.

The current progression of the game is to make a huge amount of objects. For this you need to go mining. For this you need ships, for this you need material. The current state of the alpha, is what it is, and if there were different mechanics or roles to which you can stick to specialize, I would still understand according to what decisions. But I go back to what I used to do, basic game mechanics, such as being able to refuel your ship, without having to go to an Origin station, where it tremendously limits the distances you can go and exploration, should be available from the beginning.

That you need the skill to build it, I agree, but to be able to fill it ... I think it's more frustrating, especially if you play alone.

Womble

Veteran endo
Thanks genius, but the problem is that you are relegated to circling near the Origins and not being able to venture out to explore far away. Which is precisely the point of this thread.
Sure you are, Because there's no way on any ship ever to carry extra fuel rods and prop tanks. Nope. It's impossible. You're stuck at the range of 1 rod and 1 tank. Can't go any further if you can't make rod refills and tank refills out in the wild. Nosiree.

Enough with the strawman.

Perhaps I could agree with you with this simile, but to be able to apply it you should bear in mind that it is not necessary that you do it, since you have a gas station every 40 km on the highway.
The LRDG didn't drill oil wells in the desert and refine their own petrol for their trucks. They took jerry cans of fuel with them.

As here, we do not have this refueling network, we are forced to carry a huge amount of spare parts...
And what is so wrong about that? You're not on a highway you're heading out into deep space to explore and exploit. The tools are available to you, you just have to choose which ones you want to use. At least you can reliably use the knowledge if you have it, now they've fixed the refill recipes.

Sure you are, Because there's no way on any ship ever to carry extra fuel rods and prop tanks. Nope. It's impossible. You're stuck at the range of 1 rod and 1 tank. Can't go any further if you can't make rod refills and tank refills out in the wild. Nosiree.
I have in my ship, 6 tanks of propellant, and 3 Fuel Chambers. In addition to having several replacement rods.

Also, I have another propellant tank with two, to refuel myself.

Do not take for granted realities that you imagine.

I also have another ship, with tier 2. But I can't do the same expeditions because I haven't unlocked the corresponding ability.

That filling the tier 2 rods requires a specific skill because they use a different material, I could still understand that although I do not agree. But not being able to refill the medium and large propellant tanks, when using the same material? It's just a bigger deposit! What special ability do you need for that?

And what is so wrong about that? You're not on a highway you're heading out into deep space to explore and exploit. The tools are available to you, you just have to choose which ones you want to use. At least you can reliably use the knowledge if you have it, now they've fixed the refill recipes.
What if you want to buy a tier 2 or 3 ship? which are supposed to be components for long trips, you can't make them because, surprise! you cannot fill them. You're stuck on Origin.

Womble

Veteran endo
I have in my ship, 6 tanks of propellant, and 3 Fuel Chambers. In addition to having several replacement rods.

Also, I have another propellant tank with two, to refuel myself.

Do not take for granted realities that you imagine.
Apart from your apparent inability to recognise dripping sarcasm,

What.
Is.
Your.
Problem?

You know the answer, and you've executed the solution, but you're still complaining. Strange person.

I also have another ship, with tier 2. But I can't do the same expeditions because I haven't unlocked the corresponding ability.
Ah, diddums? Unlock it then. Or bolt spares you can buy from the AH to the outside of your ship if you want to take it further than its designed endurance. You have two solutions, beyond "accept the limitations of the ship you bought" and "design a ship that has more endurance".

What if you want to buy a tier 2 or 3 ship? which are supposed to be components for long trips, you can't make them because, surprise! you cannot fill them. You're stuck on Origin.
This is getting very tiresome. What right do you have to expect to be able to create everything from scratch. I mean, some games have that. And there's nothing wrong with it. I quite like games where there's no "stat progression". But this is not one of those games. You want to be able to make better stuff, do the research. And don't overthink it, because the game has very variable connection to how things might work in real life.

But still, if you buy a T2 ship, you can still buy extra T2 rods from the AH. Your "problem" is a non-problem, even a feature. And yet you persist in minging on about it. Enough, already.

If you want to be self-sufficient, you just have to do the work the game requires. Like any game. If you want to be self-sufficient beyond "subsistence level" (T1), it darn well ought to require a metric ton of work.

I agree with BenOds, refilling with crafting bench should be a single research node for all tiers. It would be intuitive and helps with the lack of accessibility the game has in so many aspects, even basic ones. Having workarounds for all these nuissances doesnt make game design better.

You know the answer, and you've executed the solution, but you're still complaining. Strange person.
It is not a solution. It's a gimmick.

Ah, diddums? Unlock it then. Or bolt spares you can buy from the AH to the outside of your ship if you want to take it further than its designed endurance. You have two solutions, beyond "accept the limitations of the ship you bought" and "design a ship that has more endurance".
Again, for long trips you have to carry a lot of spare parts on the ship. Something that I think is unbalanced.

This is getting very tiresome. What right do you have to expect to be able to create everything from scratch. I mean, some games have that. And there's nothing wrong with it. I quite like games where there's no "stat progression". But this is not one of those games. You want to be able to make better stuff, do the research. And don't overthink it, because the game has very variable connection to how things might work in real life.
your argument is exaggerated. At no point have I said that I want everything to be done from scratch. Don't misrepresent what I say.

What I am going to say in the thread that I have created, is that it separates from the creation progression to the filling one. That can be filled without knowing how to manufacture. That will make a better dynamic when playing, especially for those who play alone.

But still, if you buy a T2 ship, you can still buy extra T2 rods from the AH. Your "problem" is a non-problem, even a feature. And yet you persist in minging on about it. Enough, already.
I think this "feature" is unbalanced

Enough, already.
It's my thread, so if you don't like it, you can just walk away and go bother somewhere else with your manners.

On you first post of the forum you just yelled "FRUSTRATION"
And if i don't remember wrong the time you expend on corp (TSEC) you attitude was near the same, complaining, playing alone, and complaining more, i don't even remember see you on discord, but i remember a lot of complains and bad manners against corp members, all on the corp chat, instead of DM him and keep it private.
And now you telling someone who is trying to help, to walk away of you post.
So, don't speak about manners after dispense disrespect to everyone.
And next time just send an F1 feedback ticket, The forum is not place for nonsense's.

On you first post of the forum you just yelled "FRUSTRATION"
And if i don't remember wrong the time you expend on corp (TSEC) you attitude was near the same, complaining, playing alone, and complaining more, i don't even remember see you on discord, but i remember a lot of complains and bad manners against corp members, all on the corp chat, instead of DM him and keep it private.
And now you telling someone who is trying to help, to walk away of you post.
So, don't speak about manners after dispense disrespect to everyone.
And next time just send an F1 feedback ticket, The forum is not place for nonsense's.
Dude, apart from the fact that what you say is not true, and you interpret it as you want, it has nothing to do with the thread.

neckster

Learned-to-sprint endo
This thread has been answered. Womble had a good answer/solutions. Ben0ds what's your solution? While I'm not a fan of the research I get it adds depth to the game. Gives it a bit more meat. We didn't have it during CA so we never had a chance to provide feedback.

This thread has been answered. Womble had a good answer/solutions. Ben0ds what's your solution? While I'm not a fan of the research I get it adds depth to the game. Gives it a bit more meat. We didn't have it during CA so we never had a chance to provide feedback.
Well, I think it has not answered the question why it has been decided that the aforementioned mechanics should be like this.
I have already said what the solution could be. Separate the fill skill from the craft skill in the research tree. Make it easier to get to the refill.
However, filling a small, medium or large propellant tank should not be separated, since the process is the same with the same material.

dusty

Think this has been more than answered. In the future: If you are for some reason unable to treat your fellow users with respect, then don't post at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.