Ground Structure/Rock Mechanics

First, hi! I'm Aquila - I'm a student mining engineer, and let me tell 'ya, I'm extremely excited to see the implementation of mining and resource extraction in Starbase.

With that out of the way, my suggestion! It's certainly not something I'd expect to see implemented (especially at the scale suggested), but it doesn't hurt to try after all!

Suggestion: Devise a manner by which terrain, if (/when) deformed, will experience structural effects - up to and including structural failure (ex: cave in, rockfall).
This idea first came around in discussing ore deposits on moons - there are a variety of techniques for extracting an ore body from a planetary surface, with one notable technique - known for its simplicity, production rate, and efficiency - called block caving. This technique functions by tunneling beneath a massive ore body, and forcing the body to fracture from below. At this point, ore is drawn out at a steady rate - consequently producing a void in the ore body, which leads to further fractures as the ground above the draw points falls. It is, essentially, an open pit mine turned upside down!

While I certainly don't expect a way for terrain to function in a scale that would permit block caving, the added realism(?) and concerns to be had in mining planetary bodies would, I feel, help to further add to the gameplay revolving around planetary deposits. Supporting the rock from falling in with beams, arches, etc, or even exploiting rockfalls for increased efficiency, would open up quite the avenue for an otherwise rather monotonous job in videogames. Beyond mining, ground hazards would be present in any sort of underground construction, or better or worse! Perhaps a stray explosive in an enemy underground facility leads to a cave-in? A secure hall to a prison, or RnD lab is severed and sealed with emergency charges?

Thank you a bunch, and I can't wait to see how things progress!
Cheers!
~Aquila