Has a recommended internet speed been mentioned?

Amos.37

I know that there are curretnly no hard specs for this game, but has a recommended internet download/upload speed been mentioned by the devs at any point?
I can always upgrade my computer if need be, but I live in Australia, where internet is so bad it's meme worthy. So obviously I'm very concerned about what internet requirements for this game are looking like?

For reference, I average around 5Mbps/10Mbps for download/upload. Up to 12Mbps download in off peak times.

Ping's going to be more important. Internet speed shouldn't matter too much unless yours is in the kbps range

Amos.37

Again, I'm in Australia, so Ping is guaranteed to be highish.
I'll be happy if it's under 100ms for me.
I'm already using ethernet connection, but the sheer distance between Aus and where ever the servers are located means ping will be on the higher end.
Best ping I've had when connecting to a NA or EU server is 70ms. More often around 100-150ms, if it's a well maintained official server.
Custom/private servers are more often around 200-300ms.
Alas, official servers are rarely based in Aus, but that just makes sense, seeing as Aus has a comparatively small playerbase, and is just far away from everywhere else.

Again, I'm in Australia, so Ping is guaranteed to be highish.
I'll be happy if it's under 100ms for me.
I'm already using ethernet connection, but the sheer distance between Aus and where ever the servers are located means ping will be on the higher end.
Best ping I've had when connecting to a NA or EU server is 70ms. More often around 100-150ms, if it's a well maintained official server.
Custom/private servers are more often around 200-300ms.
Alas, official servers are rarely based in Aus, but that just makes sense, seeing as Aus has a comparatively small playerbase, and is just far away from everywhere else.
In Australia here also. I've heard Starbase uses a P2P model for a lot of simulation so hopefully that means us Australians won't be as disadvantaged.

Atreties

For reference, I average around 5Mbps/10Mbps for download/upload. Up to 12Mbps download in off peak times.
That's stupid slow.

That's much slower than the 4g we get floating around freely in the middle of a brick basemet lined with lead.

May god have mercy upon your souls.

Amos.37

Yes, it is.And that's pretty average for Australia. In fact, that's using NBN, Australia's meme worthy attempt at upgrading internet.
To be fair, they did upgrade the internet, it's better than it was before... but it's really not a high bar.

If we take it very literal, the Steam Page lists "Broadband Internet Connection" as recommended network requirement.
And if we look up the definition of Broadband, we see that the FCC (USA) defines that as a connection with a speed of 25 Mbps down- / 3 Mbps upload. Before a change in 2015, it was set at only 4 Mbps download speed, however.
However, the Ofcom (GB) defines Broadband as a connection with a speed of 10 Mbps down- / 1 Mbps upload, so you'd be good in that regard.