heat problem

shado20

Veteran endo
so i built a new ship
it was working grate
has plenty of heat sinks to dissipate the heat with the generators running at 100% so i thought!
in the wiki the T2 generator produces 90 heat and then more for every side it has something.
this generator in the pic is only touching 2 fuel chambers top and bottom.
but is producing 519 heat, other generators are doing things like this also, i cant run the ship long as its over heating!
so where is the math on this so i can determine how many heat sinks i need to add?
heat problem.png

Colonkin

Active endo
It doesn't work like that. Heat sink does not dissipate heat. More precisely scatters but little. (50 units per second). For efficient cooling, you need a radiator base. They dissipate heat very efficiently at a rate of 1500 units per second. Extensions to the heatsink dissipate 750 units per second.
The main purpose of heat sinks is heat accumulation (15000) and efficient heat transfer to radiators. One heat sink transfers 750 heat per second to the radiator.
Your strategy is to make sure you have enough heat sinks to transfer all the heat to the heatsinks. There is a special calculator in the community resources section.
In your case, it will be enough to add a couple of radiators in addition to heat sinks and everything will work.
Naturally, they do not need to be directly connected to heat sinks. The main thing is that they are on the same network.

An easier way to determine enough heat sinks is simple. If the system is balanced correctly then your heat sinks should not accumulate heat. Display this parameter on the screen and turn on the generators at full load. Watching.
I recommend reading the wiki
https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php?title=Heat_mechanics

Last edited:

shado20

Veteran endo
It doesn't work like that. Heat sink does not dissipate heat. More precisely scatters but little. (50 units per second). For efficient cooling, you need a radiator base. They dissipate heat very efficiently at a rate of 1500 units per second. Extensions to the heatsink dissipate 750 units per second.
The main purpose of heat sinks is heat accumulation (15000) and efficient heat transfer to radiators. One heat sink transfers 750 heat per second to the radiator.
Your strategy is to make sure you have enough heat sinks to transfer all the heat to the heatsinks. There is a special calculator in the community resources section.
In your case, it will be enough to add a couple of radiators in addition to heat sinks and everything will work.
Naturally, they do not need to be directly connected to heat sinks. The main thing is that they are on the same network.

An easier way to determine enough heat sinks is simple. If the system is balanced correctly then your heat sinks should not accumulate heat. Display this parameter on the screen and turn on the generators at full load. Watching.
I recommend reading the wiki
https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php?title=Heat_mechanics
i did balance the system, it was working till i replaced the fuel-rods, this has happened on another ship also but the generator in that other ship is packed in and i cant get readings on individual generators.
i did the math, i have way too many radiators for my system, i have too many heat sinks for my system, the problem is the generators are outputting too much heat. in this pic, i have a generator touching only 2 fuel-chambers , one on top and one on bottom , outputting 519 heat at 60% that way way too much. and according to the wiki, T2 generators start at 90 heat and some more for touching other parts. in the wiki page shows a generator in the middle outputting 155 heat. my ship is doing +3X what the wiki tells me it should!

Last edited:

Colonkin

Active endo
what about enhancer? one T3 enhancer transfers 5 heat tokens. + 205 heat.
In any case, something is wrong with the indicators of heat generation.

Colonkin

Active endo
I calculated the maximum heat. One T3 generator should not produce more than 375 heat (no enhancers and 6 heat tokens). Your numbers look like an anomaly. Two t3 enhancers could give such numbers. But if you say that they are not, then F1.

Vexus

Master endo
I noticed there is a bug with generator heat sometimes. They get the wrong amount of tokens. I'm not sure what causes it; maybe passing them across other generators when placing, might add some "ghost tokens" for heat.

Relogging fully seems to correct the issue and yield the correct heat amount for me. Need to have no one around to take host so you reload the ship completely (maybe close client as well).

DivineEvil

Well-known endo
I don't know whether it might be helpful or not, but it is possible that the value displayed on that generator is the heat production value of ALL generators/chambers that are connected to it, given they all have the same handle for this value and they can add up as a consequence. On the screenshot it displays the gen-rate of 60, yet 0 stored heat. Judging by that, there are enough heatsinks to drain all the heat from generators, which means that the problem is with radiating the heat, which causes it to build up on the heatsinks, and only then on generators.

Hello, I had the same issue yesterday and yes its very likely a bug. It happened since I replaced generators on my ship from an abandoned ship. Heat on those new gens and chamber went crazy.
Make sure all gen and chambers device fields match (including related ones in YOLOL) and check they are not damaged (sometimes modules only appear damaged when in your personal inventory), then remove and reinstall the chambers. Either of those thing fixed it for me.

EDIT: I was wrong I guess, happened again and had to relog to get it fixed.

Last edited:

shado20

Veteran endo
yep it happened again. and was not close to go back and redock. but logging out of the game and closing it, and logging back in fixed it... :( errr

Askannon

Veteran endo
logging out of the game and closing it, and logging back in fixed it... :( errr
looks like another form of "generate data locally but don't let the server know" or in more words:
you don't save the heat values but generate them when the ship loads and keep those while it is active, but something changes the values while you are using the ship, so generating the values anew is solving that

shado20

Veteran endo
heat problem is common.. is there any . permanent solution
the problem i had with heat on the ship happens after replacing the fuel-rods. the only fix to this was to close the game down and log back in.
hopefully someday they can find this and fix it!

any other problem with heat may be a problem with your ships setup and may need more heat-sinks or radiators. or if you have a big power-plant you may have overloaded the pipe duck on the generator and need a 2nd one or more.

Vexus

Master endo
Relogging seems to always reset the proper heat token amount on generators. It's permanent unless you move the generators around more or mess with enhancers and so on - a relog again should fix. It sucks but eh... it's a weird arbitrary token system and we're gonna have to deal with it.

Not too related to this topic but Heat mechanics work as follows (basically):
Generators and Weapons produce heat -> heat is transferred to Heat Sinks at an "unlimited rate" -> Heat Sinks transfer heat to Radiators at 750 heat per second, per Heat Sink -> Radiators dissipate (remove completely) heat at 1500 heat per second per base and 750 heat per second per Radiator Extension.

In general, most small ships need only one, and a small fighter would do well with two - though because a Heat Sink has 15000 units of stored heat available, you can run it with one Heat Sink and just manage your Heat Sink (letting it cool down between bursts of fire).

For medium and larger ships with lots of generators... your ship is probably a blocky mess anyway - slap on a bunch of Heat Sinks until the problem goes away.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
For medium and larger ships with lots of generators... your ship is probably a blocky mess anyway - slap on a bunch of Heat Sinks until the problem goes away.
Truth! Universal engineering 101, even applies in rl 🤣