Hotas support priority

Howdy,
I would like to talk about hotas (I know a lot of people are doing it, I see no recent feedback regarding them though) support. None of the controls for my x56 or virpil constellation alpha are recognised. This causes me personally some troubles with the game (which I have enjoyed so far, and will continue to play regardless), because I have immense difficulty controlling the ship on all axis with digital inputs, but especially with keyboard inputs. I managed to play for about an hour earlier, and even with such basic things as flying out to a few rocks and making two trips, basic hangar entry etc, I found my hands (and brain) hurting from using the keyboard controls.

For context, I have a neurological condition that causes me to be quite easily overwhelmed by stimulus, including lots of similar controls. I use hotas because every part of the controls feels different. My hands are in different positions for each thing, every hat, ministick, switch, is separated significantly enough to really be split, and they are ergonomically designed so my hands aren't mostly flat while inputting controls. I also have some nerve damage in my hands that reduces motion, so its painful to even reach too many buttons together.

I believe hotas support, at least with the digital inputs even if the complexity of the analog inputs is too significant to work with for the moment, is very important. The virpil software, for example, doesnt allow mapping switches to key presses, so short of writing autohotkey scripts or something else there is very little I can do to work around this issue.

Is there any particular reason hotas support shouldnt be made a higher priority? I dare say it would be a big quality of life improvement for a lot of people, a HUGE quality of life improvement for myself, and doubt it would take enough time to set up to have a significant impact on the rest of the roadmap.
Am I mistaken about this? how long would it actually take to set up more universal inputs, realistically speaking?

Also side note: with the control switches in the ship ingame, I have a feeling this would be very cool to play in VR. Is there ANY current support for VR? If not, is there a plan at some point (say, next 5 years) to work on it?
Thanks

Womble

Veteran endo
I did do a Forum search for HOTAS and for Joystick Gremlin (JG, henceforth), and the only mention of JG was in the Griefing and Social Engineering Policies post (where they said it's probably okay to use that kind of software in order to permit the use of a given controller). So I'll ask: have you tried JG? Indeed, has anyone? I hanker after a HOTAS rig, but can't justify it if it isn't going to actually work. Does JG or any analogous middleware permit joysticks to be used (even in a very basic way)?

I have had no luck at all with Joystick Gremlin recognising my virpil stick. My gear works great in any games that support analog inputs and have hotas support, and I COULD (with a lot of effort) find a way to write scripts to convert the hotas inputs into digital inputs but that would be a very painstaking process that I don't think holds value without allowing the analog inputs to actually be analog inputs

blazemonger

Veteran endo
Joy2Key works well enough for the time being. That said, proper analog stick support within a reasonable timeframe would be very nice. And while at it, do allow for dual stick use without needing the extra hoops of external programs if at all possible ;)

Womble

Veteran endo
Joy2Key works well enough for the time being. That said, proper analog stick support within a reasonable timeframe would be very nice. And while at it, do allow for dual stick use without needing the extra hoops of external programs if at all possible ;)
Thanks for the middleware headsup!

cheers, will also need to look into that