How to mount Range finder to center mount on adv turret

Vorg

Well-known endo
Have an adv turret with mining lasers on each of the side mounts. I want to put a ranger finder in the center location. I know it can be done because I've seen a the setup used. But all the images and vids I've seen, they never show how that part is mounted/connect and I can't seem to find a combo that works.

You can make this work with socket tool (#8 hotbar slot).. First pic shows where I put the side socket through for the pitch axis. Second pic shows where I placed the bottom socket through for the yaw axis. Second pic also shows I connected bottom socket (the one bringing in power) to side socket (the one taking power to rangefinder). Third pic shows how I brought the power from side socket up to the top and along to the rangefinder. 4th pic shows how I have the rangefinder hooked up.
After it's all set up you can delete the socket plates and just leave the wires that get created between them.
If you have questions or need clarification don't hesitate to ask.

I've tested this particular setup it's able to rotate and pitch in all angles without breaking.

I know this isn't exactly what you need since I'm using single mount on a cradle but you should be able to apply this method to your project.
1.png
2.png

3.png

4.png

Last edited:

Vorg

Well-known endo
You can make this work with socket tool (#8 hotbar slot).. First pic shows where I put the side socket through for the pitch axis. Second pic shows where I placed the bottom socket through for the yaw axis. Second pic also shows I connected bottom socket (the one bringing in power) to side socket (the one taking power to rangefinder). Third pic shows how I brought the power from side socket up to the top and along to the rangefinder. 4th pic shows how I have the rangefinder hooked up.
After it's all set up you can delete the socket plates and just leave the wires that get created between them.
If you have questions or need clarification don't hesitate to ask.

I've tested this particular setup it's able to rotate and pitch in all angles without breaking.

I know this isn't exactly what you need since I'm using single mount on a cradle but you should be able to apply this method to your project.

View attachment 3323
You have that in front of the mining laser? won't the laser distroy it?

You have that in front of the mining laser? won't the laser distroy it?
It's on a hinge, I can move the rangefinder out of the way before I fire the mining laser. The way its set up with the ducts, it also powers off the rangefinder when the hinge is open. This is a particular setup for a certain script I'm working on, you may want to attach things differently.

Last edited:

Vorg

Well-known endo
Yea, I would want the range finder on when the laser is used because I want to use it to turn off the laser when it's not going to hit anything. What I'm doing now is finder in the middle using convergance code to point a laser and a collector at the point it hits and then I spin the turret and and then change the angle so that it spirals out and in. Kinda works, but not well enough.
How exact on pivot center do the sockets need to be and is there no socket tool in game? Looks like you can do this on a ship already built. Needs to be done in the designer.

How exact on pivot center do the sockets need to be and is there no socket tool in game? Looks like you can do this on a ship already built. Needs to be done in the designer.
The bottom one for rotation I needed to get pretty much exact center or it broke during extreme rotations.
The pitch one however is at a weird angle and still works fine for some reason.

Not sure about socket type tool in game sorry.