Jerry-rigging

It would be cool if ship components worked without the need for the game to recognise them as a complete ship. I can think of a few uses for this:

-Stick a transponder on a battery to create a temporary beacon. Use YOLOL to have it flash on and off.
-Put thrusters on an asteroid and crash it into an enemy station.
-Combine the above to create a decoy ship.
-...I just feel like I should be able to create a ship without MFC + FCU, even if it doesn't fly straight.

You don't need an MFC or an FCU for a ship, and you can make a ship out of an asteroid. Haven't done it personally but some people in my company did.

Are you sure? When I tried it in the designer, the thrusters received signals but would only actually turn on once the MFC + FCU were added.

Here are some images showing my setup;
The blue circle in the second picture is where I have just a Hybrid Button set to;
ThrusterState: 0​
ButtonOnStateValue: 10​
ButtonOffStateValue: 0​
ButtonStyle: 1​
Something to watch out for is if you have the Thruster Field Name Tool set to Automatic. Then all your thrusters will be forcibly named uniquely. For this setup it relies on all four of those Triangle Thrusters' first field, "ThrusterState" being labeled as "ThrusterState".

I'll also note, that there's no FCU. It's interesting that the Building Budget doesn't list that.