Logging out mechanics

Hi all, me again!

If I wish to explore far from any outpost, there will come a time when I need to log off without being able to return to the safe zone.

I understand that my endo disappears. But what happens to my ship? Did it remain? Is it vulnerable? If so, is there a technique for deep space exploration that allows the player to manage the risk?

Many thanks

All stations should have safe zones, so you could stop at a nearby one. Yes, the ship does remain in you logout in the fun part of the game world. Yes, it is vulnerable out there.

The game world is so ridiculously large though that currently just being away from origin is a pretty good defense. Later though it will depend on how some not yet implemented mechanics will work.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
As Cavilier said, you should find a station to log out near.

Although, if you cannot find one, hiding your ship behind a roid in a particularly dense bit of cloud is always an option!

I'm worried by this as well. It is very rare for me to have a block of time in which I can be 100% certain I will not be interrupted. Unless there is some safety mechanic for leaving a ship in open space, I would have to stick to safe space entirely.

Eve's logout mechanics are a bit lenient and exploitable so I can understand not wanting that. Still, I hope some mercy is shown to those of us who have to abandon keyboard for legitimate reasons.

CalenLoki

Master endo
There are in-game ways of saving your ship.
If you can leave your PC running when you go AFK, you can use autopilot to bring your ship back to safezone.
It requires a lot tinkering, and is still risky, but it's an valid option.

The beauty of persistent world is that most things stay there all the time.

Cavilier210

Master endo
As I said, the game world is enormous. The further you go, the less likely it is anyone will find you

Verbatos

Veteran endo
As I said, the game world is enormous. The further you go, the less likely it is anyone will find you
Emphasis on ENOURMOUS.
Also: in some parts of the belt, it's hard to tell the difference between a powered down ship and an asteroid, much less find a ship within the how many cubic kilometres of cloud.

Cavilier210

Master endo
Finding a powered down ship in general is a pain. At Robur you couldn't tell who was dead and who was just hanging around, so I wasted so much time killing dead ships.