Merge block for connection two frames on the go

A merge block would be lovely for use of moving cargo and doing cargo transport. Like the one from Space Engineers. as you can make a front end ship and then hook it up to a cargo frame and move cargo to be sold etc

Too simplistic. Make it something more involved than "put on magic item and amazing thing happens"
so something that locks on to another device and locks in it is to simplistic? i don't honestly see your point? that would be the same as saying you need a converter for the power you make by the fuel rod as in a transformer box to make sure you don't go over your amount plus add Voltags etc.

it would be a device that you lock on to another device for small cargo transport around or hauling a persons ship home if it breaks you can have a tow hock.

Tractor beams already exist for that purpose
yeah with a massive power cost so you need about 2 generators for just hauling 140 cargo creates. if you think bigger like 480 etc is gonna be about 3-4 in total as you need more power to keep holding it in place

CalenLoki

Master endo
How many fuel rods will you use hauling ore in CLF, and how many will you save by saving on mass while flying empty towards the belt?

How much time you'll use for manually placing ore cubes in CLF, and how much you'll save by being faster on the way to the belt?

I love the fact that those are not simple questions.

That being said - I don't think that making something complicated on purpose makes the game more interesting. So I'm for some form of connectors.
But not magic-merge blocks that can hold unlimited mass as SE. More like 24x24 or 48x48 block that auto-bolts to another block of that type, if they are almost perfectly aligned.
You'd still need to make sure the frame is sturdy enough not to break, and enough mergers to withstand the stress. Only thing they'd save is the bolting process.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
For the transfer of materials, I know you can link resource bridges, is there a way to link resource bridges of 2 ships and transfer cargo that way? To my knowledge there isn't, and the fastest way would be to empty out the crates from 1 ship, change resource bridge and fill the other, but maybe that's an option for development.
I know that's basically a magic transfer device, but I'm just trying to think of what can be done with already existing assets rather than new ones.

CalenLoki

Master endo
You can link 2 resource bridges already, but transferring resources that way is not in game yet (it's planned).

And we're talking more about ways to structurally connect ships, rather than connecting their data/resource networks. So alternative for CLF and CB

How many fuel rods will you use hauling ore in CLF, and how many will you save by saving on mass while flying empty towards the belt?

How much time you'll use for manually placing ore cubes in CLF, and how much you'll save by being faster on the way to the belt?

I love the fact that those are not simple questions.

That being said - I don't think that making something complicated on purpose makes the game more interesting. So I'm for some form of connectors.
But not magic-merge blocks that can hold unlimited mass as SE. More like 24x24 or 48x48 block that auto-bolts to another block of that type, if they are almost perfectly aligned.
You'd still need to make sure the frame is sturdy enough not to break, and enough mergers to withstand the stress. Only thing they'd save is the bolting process.
it doesn't matter how much cargo put in, it doesn't change the weight at all. all cargo is fixed weight as if they were full from the start (i do like this as it makes it less of a pain to build and you don't have to think about weight when there is no infomation about how weight in terms of items etc) but you get the point with what i meant, a device that just either locks by it self when you get close enough (10 cm ish spacing so pretty damn close and that also uses power), it doesn't always have to super complicated for just the sake of being complicated. and also make sure that is not to heavy to pull and if it is to heavy it should just unhock it self and break