Mining drones + auto-discovery with YOLOL

I don't have programing background. But I m kind of fast at picking up concepts and logic problems. From my experience toying around with yolol in the alpha Id say that an automated mining drone is possible but not at all efficient. Especially with the somewhat low densety of asteroids. You could program your ship to go to a region of space, pack it with rangefinders, and fly around until stumbling on something to mine. With the low range on rangefinders in combination with low asteroid density this will be very innefficient. Also quite complex to set up i guess.

However not very complex and very useful. Even with my limited knowledge about programing I would probably be able to do it. If you set up a player run mining operation in deep space you could have automated transportships with asteroid avoidance systems transporting the ore to another base, center of operations/producction.

shado20

Veteran endo
this sounds like a grate idea, but problems , ships need a host to load it. so unless you are going to buy accounts for every drone and computers to run each drone. you are basically building a yolol scrips to run the ship and then need some sort of scrips to unload to keep going.
i can see it possibly working slowly if someone is helping it along, but not in afk
yes you may get a ship to go out and find a rock and mine it, and come back to base. but loading and unloading, refueling rods and propellant. connecting to the resource bridge , ya this is not going to work.
then ill find it and kill it, or take it and make it myn! :)

Womble

Veteran endo
Damn... That automated mining ship is cool. Imagine having several of those going at once.
That'd be nearly as quick as one endo with a pickaxe (you can't just fly away and leave 'em running...). Yay. It's kinda proof-of-concept, but it's more proof that YOLOL (and the position-measuring setup) is just too, too, slow to make it practicable. However cool the work done on it is, and it is very cool. At least to this nerd.