Mobile Factories

Hello, everyone, I hope you all are well. Earlier today I was thinking about; how would mobile factories work? That is large ships designed to make basic components such as armor plating. I understand that space will be at a premium since large ships are very difficult to make, manage, and crew. What are your ideas? Possibly encasing all of the factory arms inside the hull of the ship? Having just a large moving platform? Comment below!

Brushes

Well-known endo
I spec cargo would take up the most space, if your making small things. Maybe hollow out an asteroid and use a mining ship to haul the little factory around?

Lauri stated that they will introduce capital ships at some point, so this is quite possible in the future (FAQ).

I'm thinking of a heavy construction capital ship. Kinda like the Pioneer from Star Citizen. I'll just drop some images here but if you want more info, the link to the Pioneer wiki is here too, feel free to check it out.

5cab66720d4ac551dc36b5985ec9f0c0.png

Pioneer_Side_Concept.jpg

Last edited:
I think on one of the updates or something they stated that foundries/forges could be placed on ships. They'd just be a different size and you'd need a VERY durable ship to fly it because it's heavy AF. But we probably won't even need to wait until capital ships are a thing. I don't down that a thorough player(s) can build a ship with all the functionality they'd need to start a new life on a planet. Or with enough raw materials to build the infrastructure that would eventually lead to a larger factory.

Sure, it'd be nice to fly to a location with a pre-made factory. But it definitely won't be necessary.