Moon estates

Tagarik

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Do you think that moons are going to become estates or sort of investments?

I assume, that since the land is unclaimed and moon's surface is indestructible, I think that the moons are going to be pretty valuable and secure places (since you have to shield only one side of your base).

Let me know what do you think about this idea.

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
If the surface is indestructible I hope there are caves or someway of doing subterranean bases so you can minimize the attack surface.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Unlike stations, based on moons would experience gravity. As would any object approaching the base. Usually this is not a concern for stations as the game decelerates objects in normal space. Should one want to siege a base on a moon, I think accurately dropping anything with mass or that is explosive would prove quite effective.

Tagarik

Should one want to siege a base on a moon, I think accurately dropping anything with mass or that is explosive would prove quite effective.
It might depend what kind of explosives are you going to use, because we don't know how much pull will the moon's gravitational field generate.

I would ideally like to see a semi-destructible moon where mining is available but only to a certain depth - where you hit bedrock. This would give players more agency in their contributions to the game universe and provide more reasons to defend and raid locations stationed there. Of course, the big elephant would be:
- How much persistence can SB have?
- How long would it be until moon/planet surfaces are razed to dust?

Tagarik

I would ideally like to see a semi-destructible moon where mining is available but only to a certain depth - where you hit bedrock. This would give players more agency in their contributions to the game universe and provide more reasons to defend and raid locations stationed there. Of course, the big elephant would be:
- How much persistence can SB have?
- How long would it be until moon/planet surfaces are razed to dust?
I just hope that moons are not going to look like oldest Minecraft anarchy server (utterly chaotic)

Quinc

Well-known endo
I haven't heard of anything to suggest that lunar surfaces are indestructible or that you can claim territory.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
The moon currently has no grav (not including the pull of mag boots) and is still completely indestructible. Although I have heard that both of those things will be phased out and both moon mining and moon gravity will be implemented before release.

On the topic of building bases there, as another user said, its a lot easier to bomb a moon base from orbit if it has gravity, and if the moon is made destructible, it makes it possible for an infiltration crew to mine underneath a base, take out the floor and then easily get in. It will take a long bit of preparation to run a moon base and I have heard that it will be rather difficult.