Mouse Controls

Vexus

Master endo
Hey devs,
I know that Starbase has done its best to eliminate arbitrary UI elements from the game HUD. I appreciate this, along with all those other amazing decisions you all have made like this, so, so much. The current mouse controls for a ship are just a test of what is possible, but I had a thought that might lead towards something workable.

The current interactive station/screen panels in the game could work as manually-placed mouse controls for a ship. It could be a translucent plate like the device panels, but clear and flat. Players can then use decals to design the look of the mouse control plate and bolt or weld it into position in their cockpit. Then, when the player interacts with the plate using Tab->mouseclick, they gain control over it much like a YOLOL chip and gain mouse controls on that translucent device.

You already have the cursor detection code in the station panels and so on. You already have the YOLOL code for locking a player into a panel. And you already have the mouse movement code. Some device fields for this translucent plate such as "deadzone" and "centering speed" and some other things to make flight similar to Elite Dangerous would truly make this an optional UI element and keep it within the bounds of the game's intended design as well as allowing players to be creative in how they achieve their aiming reticle and mouse-control setup. This would also open up a lot of fun ways to interact with other devices as device fields on this plate, such as x/y position, would be accessible by the rest of the ship/network.

It's all there, it just needs to be pulled together.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
indeed - to do mouse control exactly as in elite dangerous, it would be great. and it is necessary.

I don't understand why such a basic and most important thing as adequate control of the ship is put at the end of the roadmap...

for those who say that it is very good to fly without a mouse, I suggest playing Counter Strike without a mouse. same thing.

shado20

Veteran endo
indeed - to do mouse control exactly as in elite dangerous, it would be great. and it is necessary.

I don't understand why such a basic and most important thing as adequate control of the ship is put at the end of the roadmap...

for those who say that it is very good to fly without a mouse, I suggest playing Counter Strike without a mouse. same thing.
its not the same thing
as a player with a gun you aim just fine

first of all in starbase, ship control is not keyboard control! ships are controlled by a lever you slide for more or less movement. you bind your keyboard buttons to a lever. your asking the devs to redo the control system and remove the levers?

pavvvel

Veteran endo
its not the same thing
as a player with a gun you aim just fine

first of all in starbase, ship control is not keyboard control! ships are controlled by a lever you slide for more or less movement. you bind your keyboard buttons to a lever. your asking the devs to redo the control system and remove the levers?
Only the roll is used by pressing the keyboard keys.
The yaw and pitch levers are tied to mouse movements by default.
The developers only need to make this control adequate.

shado20

Veteran endo
Only the roll is used by pressing the keyboard keys.
The yaw and pitch levers are tied to mouse movements by default.
The developers only need to make this control adequate.
the mouse system is already in game, you move the mouse the levers move accordingly, YOU half to set the system to fly the way YOU want too. you set the levers to center automatically and how fast they do this or not. the the levers have a dead zone setting, and so on...

or are you wanting to point the mouse on the screen and the ship flys to your mouse?

you need to be precise as to what your asking for as this control is in game, you need to make it work!