Open Source, sort of, maybe?

MrFaul

Well-known endo
Yes I know...

This is a highly polarizing topic and a giant risk to take.
But I'm not talking about bluntly uploading the source to a repository.
It's more like you, FrozenByte have currently something going on and are in dire need of help.
So selective community access to the source with NDA obviously can do wonders for fighting bugs and optimization.

Starbase by nature attracts nerds and you have some strong talents sticking around.
We would gladly fix stuff that annoys us for free.
Or just code review. Even that helps tremendously.

So think about this, and keep that as an option in mind.

Cheers Faul

La_fleur_

Well-known endo
They will not go to a meeting with this issue. They have already said that they will not throw the game. They need to earn money to further develop the game. For example, I could pay a small monthly subscription to the game to financially help it develop

shado20

Veteran endo
so can i now say "i told you(everyone) so" that a year ago i was saying this game needs to be a monthly subscription, to financially help it develop.... yea but so many yelled they would quit, where are they now?

MrFaul

Well-known endo
We do not know if money is really the "main problem".
Even so there are some reasonable speculations that fall with certain events in order.
But they are still speculations.
Also it is virtually certain that there is very little to none manpower currently working on the game.
BTW. big thx to @KaiFB (and his assistance, if there is some) you are a heroes 😉

As of now a subscription may not even be a viable option,
we really don't know that much about what's going on internally other that "bad stuff happend or is happening"
Its really a shame that they aren't more open about it, but that also could be that they aren't allowed to be.

All I'm saying is that the community can provide more than just being testers.
There is skill out there that can help out.

For my part I can do code reviews since I'm very adept, me coding? meh.
I tend to write clever code, one trick ponies that are highly specialized and uhm lets call them spirited.
That is something that shouldn't be in a project like SB, those are bug magnets.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
I don't think copying medivil engineers and keen software house is a good look.. That said, at least FB claims they have no money, keen is just lazy and gross.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
KSWH hardly invented that, they just did it half measured and f-ed up like expected.

Colonkin

Active endo
t is unlikely that developers will open source code. Even partially. This can provoke people with itchy hands to make their dream game. On the other hand, let them at least give an API for the market. And advanced features for UCG.

As for monetization, I think the problem is initially incorrect planning. Many elements that can be monetized are missing. As if no one cared about money.
I do not claim that this is so. But very similar. Firstly, it would be possible to sell cosmetics for endo armor. Or some visually unique endo armor sets. The same applies, for example, to the color of engine exhaust)) Many would like it.
And finally, my favorite. Research tree progression. Why not copy the existing ones? They could be modified and sold the same leveling accelerators. Or crafting catalysts. The gameplay would not be affected, just saving time. However, this has not yet been implemented. If it were, then the developers would not have problems with money and with a subscription.
Look at the same SE. Major updates are free. But you can buy more interesting modules with money. And if you need credits in the game - sell them (similar to PLEX and accelerators in EVE.)

Yes, even unique movements or dances. It's not expensive but a constant influx of money.