Ordnance

five

Master endo
Hey. Simple question: Has anyone ever thought about developing ordnance in starbase. Like selfmade torpedos or small torpedos with cargo beams to make large ships stall.

five

Master endo
Torpedos and missiles are already in the making, but self made ordinance is definitely possible.
I just think it would be boring if you would restrict yourself to the ordnance in-game and I hope that in the future of starbase there will be stuff like explosives, so you can make actual exploding ordnance. As for right now I already have a idea for a torpedo: The nose has a range finder. Once it reaches a certain distance to target the nose splits to reveal cargo beams. Once the torpedo has locked its cargo frames it shuts down its self propulsion. The target is now rendered immobile, until the torpedo itself or the cargo beams are either destroyed or disabled. Inside of the torpedo would be a small as possible generator + a fuel tank, so if you shoot it at the wrong spot, your hull will be damaged aswell

kiiyo

Veteran endo
I just think it would be boring if you would restrict yourself to the ordnance in-game and I hope that in the future of starbase there will be stuff like explosives, so you can make actual exploding ordnance. As for right now I already have a idea for a torpedo: The nose has a range finder. Once it reaches a certain distance to target the nose splits to reveal cargo beams. Once the torpedo has locked its cargo frames it shuts down its self propulsion. The target is now rendered immobile, until the torpedo itself or the cargo beams are either destroyed or disabled. Inside of the torpedo would be a small as possible generator + a fuel tank, so if you shoot it at the wrong spot, your hull will be damaged aswell
don't mind if I do...

Sounds interesting, but how would it have beams coming from three 90 degree angles?

five

Master endo
Sounds interesting, but how would it have beams coming from three 90 degree angles?
As far as I know the degrees do not have to be perpendicular to one another but cant be parallel as well, so yeah. Otherwise you could position 3 torpedos, to be safe.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
The main problem with this design is that for the cargo lock to hold an object in place, the cargo lock needs to have enough structural integrity and mass behind it to support the object it's holding, otherwise it breaks. In other words, the immobilising torpedo would need to be almost as heavy as the target to immobilise it.
A slight change to the design would be to have the torpedo attach to the target, and then fire it's thrusters, throwing off the balance of the target and ruining their maneuverability and aim.
Also there's the 3 beams at 90 degrees to each other problem, which would either limit the torpedos effectiveness to only small ships (which defeats the purpose of a torpedo, which is typically an anti-large weapon) or the torpedo needs to be huge, at which point it may as well be it's own ship.

And I know for a fact that people are already designing ships that will attach to their target for the purpose of boarding.

five

Master endo
The main problem with this design is that for the cargo lock to hold an object in place, the cargo lock needs to have enough structural integrity and mass behind it to support the object it's holding, otherwise it breaks. In other words, the immobilising torpedo would need to be almost as heavy as the target to immobilise it.
A slight change to the design would be to have the torpedo attach to the target, and then fire it's thrusters, throwing off the balance of the target and ruining their maneuverability and aim.
Also there's the 3 beams at 90 degrees to each other problem, which would either limit the torpedos effectiveness to only small ships (which defeats the purpose of a torpedo, which is typically an anti-large weapon) or the torpedo needs to be huge, at which point it may as well be it's own ship.

And I know for a fact that people are already designing ships that will attach to their target for the purpose of boarding.
oh damn than the idea is basically useless :/