Ore sorters and ejectors

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
It would be great to have the ability to sort/reject certain ore by either ejecting it or pulverizing it as part of the mining process ...
Part of factory process will include object spawner (from crates). I'm guessing that should work for the ejecting ore too :unsure:

As for ETA, I'd guess something around a month or so could be realistic. We'll see how the other factory stuff gets sorted out.

Mur

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Part of factory process will include object spawner (from crates). I'm guessing that should work for the ejecting ore too :unsure:

As for ETA, I'd guess something around a month or so could be realistic. We'll see how the other factory stuff gets sorted out.
I would like this kind of attachment for a ship too. Sometimes I need to sort out undesirable ores from my cargo hold and it can take forever and make a large mess while doing it.

One thing I would suggest is to have an filter and an overflow. One makes it so all ores of a type (eg valkite / ajatite) get thrown out automatically and an overflow means if ever the cargo gets full it throws out ores in an certain order (throws out all valkite first, ajatite second, ice third etc)

blazemonger

Veteran endo
The functionality would be better suited for ships, the mining lasers would feed into the sorter which will only let the desired ores pass and redirect the others to a pulverizer or ejector part to get rid of the unwanted ore. If this would be an advanced part, requiring YOLOL control to function, I'd be fine with that as it would mostly be applicable for larger/more advanced ships anyway.

On the other hand, I can see the alloy gameplay bring more use to Valkite and Ajatite so their value may increase due to that.

It would be great to have the ability to sort/reject certain ore by either ejecting it or pulverizing it as part of the mining process ...
Maybe it would be better to have a delete all button for the selected category of ores. and not have to click every stack to delete it

Mur

Maybe it would be better to have a delete all button for the selected category of ores. and not have to click every stack to delete it
I believe a part of that is with the inventory upgrade but we are talking about automation which the game needs.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
I could see a "delete all of xxx" as a temporary quick solution for sure, it would help. But I would really like a "gameplay" solution to this over a "right click > delete" one.

Last edited:

Mur

I could see a "delete all of xxx" as a temporary quick colution for sure, it woudl help. But I woud really like a "gameplay" solution to this over a "right click > delete" one.
I agree for the short term, but I feel that in this game nothing should really be deleteable. I like the idea that you dumping your garbage in space and others can come across it and pick it up if they want.

I agree for the short term, but I feel that in this game nothing should really be deleteable. I like the idea that you dumping your garbage in space and others can come across it and pick it up if they want.
Hadn't thought about something like that. Really good idea imo.

I've made this point in a separate post, but goddamnit I am going to keep preaching the good word.

Item incinerators > collector filters/ore ejectors/mass delete option.

Having a dedicated incinerator device would not only be more immersive and make more sense in-universe than any of the above, but would also allow for things like automated mass deletion of items. Due to requiring power and generating heat, it would also bring more nuance in mining ship design than simply slapping on as many crates and thrusters as humanly (endo-ly?) possible.
  • No clutter from ejection chute solutions
  • No magic deletion of items from inventory
  • No magic ore collector that somehow ignores only certain ores
Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

One makes it so all ores of a type (eg valkite / ajatite) get thrown out automatically and an overflow means if ever the cargo gets full it throws out ores in an certain order (throws out all valkite first, ajatite second, ice third etc)
- Maybe it should be possible with YOLOL? E.g a block "cargo monitor" browses through your crates. And the ejector block ("the object spawner" @LauriFB mentioned), dumps the crate content.
:i=i IF :material=='ice' THEN :spawner=:i END i+=1 GOTO1
or something like that.

Mur

I've made this point in a separate post, but goddamnit I am going to keep preaching the good word.

Item incinerators > collector filters/ore ejectors/mass delete option.

Having a dedicated incinerator device would not only be more immersive and make more sense in-universe than any of the above, but would also allow for things like automated mass deletion of items. Due to requiring power and generating heat, it would also bring more nuance in mining ship design than simply slapping on as many crates and thrusters as humanly (endo-ly?) possible.
  • No clutter from ejection chute solutions
  • No magic deletion of items from inventory
  • No magic ore collector that somehow ignores only certain ores
Thanks for coming to my ted talk.
Hearing that asteroids do not respond I even more disagree with the idea of an incinerator . I think if people dump all their unwanted ores into space people should be able to collect it.

One more suggestion about the Unwanted Ice. The shop board says "Hydrogen Propellant". So, why not install some kind of electrolysis block on the spacecraft to refill the propellant?

Mur

One more suggestion about the Unwanted Ice. The shop board says "Hydrogen Propellant". So, why not install some kind of electrolysis block on the spacecraft to refill the propellant?
not to get off topic but from a design point of view, they prob want stations / capital ships to be the source of fuel

Hearing that asteroids do not respond I even more disagree with the idea of an incinerator . I think if people dump all their unwanted ores into space people should be able to collect it.
The problem with that is now the server has to keep track and store information about items that might never be found by anyone else because of how stupidly vast space is. I'm pretty sure that broken asteroids already despawn after you leave the area, otherwise the safe zone would be a massive cloud of debris from all the shell material people leave behind. It would be a massive waste of resources, both on ours and the game's end to have to keep track of and render all those items.

I proposed item incinerators since between item ejection and item deletion, I think that deletion would be much better in terms of both tidiness and game performance. And if I had to choose between magic inventory deletion and an actual in-game way to do it that also brings more variety and nuance to the future design of ships, well, I think my choice then is obvious.