POLL: Respect Neutrality

If a faction declared their absolute neutrality, would you respect it?

• Yes we would respect their neutrality.

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Yes we would respect their neutrality......but only if they didn't help our enemies.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • No, we don't recognize any neutrality.

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Venixer

Well-known endo
This is not a direct reference to the Neutral faction, which is the only option officially, besides Empire and Kingdom

I've heard of something called Cardinal Guild, from another game, which was a group of players who devoted themselves to exploration and charting the unknown.

There may be groups who are also focused on helping stranded players, or providing repair support to those in need.

Some of these factions may wish to remain non-military and strictly neutral, offering the same service to all sides, think of something like the Red Cross.

I wonder if their firm neutrality and non-political stance, would be respected?

The second you leave the safe area you are going to be shot on sight and if you don't adopt that same policy you will spend a lot of time dead.

Atreties

Veteran endo
Unless i have some sort of strong incentive/reason not to, I would kill them and salvage their wreck.

This goes for virtually everyone.

With cardinal guild (i know them), whether or not I'd kill them would depend heavily upon if i considered them to be more valuable to me alive and doing their mapping.

Venixer

Well-known endo
Personally, I would have liked to hear people saying that they would support neutral factions, who are honest about their neutrality.

Yes, we know, that the moment major factions say they will respect neutrality, then instantly we know some people will take advantage of that for more sinister purposes.

But it would be nice to have some groups respected as neutrals, like groups who are aimed more at charity or humanitarian operations like rescues.

Stanky

Active endo
I would not hurt the neutral groups, and I don't encourage others to do the same. I'm hoping that the neutral groups won't be attacked by pirates. A group like Cardinal Guild is doing good for the entire community (pirates included). So there is no logic in destroying their mapping ships, but hey to each his own.

Venixer

Well-known endo
I would not hurt the neutral groups, and I don't encourage others to do the same. I'm hoping that the neutral groups won't be attacked by pirates. A group like Cardinal Guild is doing good for the entire community (pirates included). So there is no logic in destroying their mapping ships, but hey to each his own.
I think, if neutral groups would be willing to be searched, and inspected, and oblige by an agreed upon color scheme, like being painted entirely white, or something like that, then I think their neutrality would be more respected.

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Honestly it would most likely depend, but for the most part in my eyes it is a dog eat dog world. Neutrality shmutrality if you've got valuables on your person you are a target no matter who you are.

Metal

Active endo
You have to give people a reason to not shoot you, just saying "we are neutral" isn't going to cut it.

Unlike most others in this thread (who have proven themselves throughout the forums to be psychopathic warmongering scavengers) I fully embrace the idea of neutral factions and organizations.

Take for example the Fuel Rats of Elite Dangerous. They provide fuel and rescue to any and all who are in need and don't take sides.

I think fostering a world where things like that can flourish will really help the longevity of the game.

Only reason I vote no is cus I'm a pirate. No one is neutral in a pirates eyes. But neutral factions are definitely things that can exist. There's a whole lot of faction politics and I think its pretty cool. I'm just a pirate trying to get a big fleet of other pirates.

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Unlike most others in this thread (who have proven themselves throughout the forums to be psychopathic warmongering scavengers) I fully embrace the idea of neutral factions and organizations.
LOL your bias is showing. How about you look at someone else's post from off of your high horse.

Tumbla

Well-known endo
only way they can exist is if theres law enforcement factions patrolling keeping them safe from pirates

only way they can exist is if theres law enforcement factions patrolling keeping them safe from pirates
I'm sure they could exist and defend themselves. Being neutral doesn't mean you can arm yourself to protect yourself from pirates or factions that don't care you're neutral.

Wicca

Well-known endo
If everyone attacks anyone that isn't friendly, we will just have impossible PvP and quick life cycles for most players/new players. Which in turn might either shy people away from playing the game or create a DayZ-Esque survival game behavior.(which could be interesting in its own right)
People dying that fast will promote quick solutions rather than spending time creating something that lasts, such as a ship etc. Which will result in a much more shallow economy rather than a deep trading one.

I don't think the scenario or premise of the game is post-apocalyptic, but rather a pioneering, exploring and resource grabbing. My impression is that the game is similar to the wild west. In that example, each star base would definetly be "safe-zoned" to the degree that they would be able to maintain their own security and establish an ability to patrol nearby space. What the faction or starbase does to any encounters of other players is up to them.

Here comes another scoop of theory-crafting, so buckle in.. As far as I understand there are a lot of different materials, which means the developers could segregate the procurement areas of certain rare minerals. This would create scarcity and promote supply and demand, which could promote cooperation and general civility. As with all piracy, they need an effective market and economy to leech off, otherwise it will again just turn into a DayZ rabble. So I guess my point is just, even as a pirate you should choose which fish to reel in, and which fish to let go. :)

Azelous

Veteran endo
I would likely leave neutral factions alone. If they were to be in a partnership with a faction I or my faction are not on good terms with I would see them as a potential target based on the value they provide.

Mci

Active endo
I know my faction intends on having true neutrality, and will respect the neutrality of anyone else who claims it.

But if we get fired at, we're going to retaliate. At least, until you back off.

Venixer

Well-known endo
From what I'm gathering from the poll results that i'm looking at, over half want to respect declared neutrality.

For those who want to create a more, less anarchic environment this is certainly a good thing.

Eventually, after the game enters early access, there may be some type of inter-Factional agreement on what officially defines neutrality, and which groups would recognize it, and what it would entail, such as something like the Starbase version of the Geneva Convention.

And yes of course there will be factions who will refuse to recognize any neutrality, but that's their choice.