(Post Stable Release) VR Development?

Kibbles

Active endo
I know this is a stretch, but after the game is stable and running, it would be a really nice feature to add in VR support to the game. I feel that Starbase could be one of the top VR games if it's done correctly.

In Starbase, there is already lots of features that make a great VR game. For example, the controls for the ship are all in a panel in-front of you in the form of levers which can be moved using your hands, buttons open doors, which again, could be pressed with your hands and also the games great optimisation which is needed for VR.
I know it would take a while to develop, but it will def be worth it and attract so many different kinds of players, not just ones that like MMO RPG, but also people that want to feel what it's like to fly a ship, take part in battle and be fully immersed into an entirely different universe and some that just perhaps want to go to a local space bar and hang out with people.

I also believe that the endo mechanic could be really interesting to play with in VR, like when your endo dies, you could be sent to a room in VR (maybe a server room or something) where you choose which insurance location you wish to re-spawn at.

Another feature that could be used in VR is that, typically, typing with VR controllers is a pain, especially if you're a YOLOL guy. But there a videos now out there of companies like Facebook that have fixed this by using VR keyboards that I think could be added to this game.

I honestly think the possibilities are endless with this and would add just that next level of wow for Starbase.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
I don't know why but I don't see it.
Even so I have multiple VR systems.

There is a gut feeling that tells me that this game wouldn't be a nice experience.
Normally I would be up in arms for this but I'm not... hmm odd.

Kibbles

Active endo
I don't know why but I don't see it.
Even so I have multiple VR systems.

There is a gut feeling that tells me that this game wouldn't be a nice experience.
Normally I would be up in arms for this but I'm not... hmm odd.
That's probably because most games don't have nice integration with VR. Many games have clunky object interaction and bad controls.
I think if they put time into making tool control and object interactions work smoothly that it would work very nicely in VR.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
I think I pinpointed my skepticism, this is a inventory heavy game.

Every VR title that I've played so far with heavy inventory is just suuuuuuper annoying.
In example: Skyrim, awesome game (after you modded it usable) you can immerse your self for days but as soon you have to use the inv. I get the urge to throw my controller at the wall.

Last edited:

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Honestly I would be in favor of VR purely to help flying in asteroids. Currently it's very difficult to distinguish between distant asteroids and small asteroids without stereoscopic vision.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
Honestly I would be in favor of VR purely to help flying in asteroids. Currently it's very difficult to distinguish between distant asteroids and small asteroids without stereoscopic vision.
Hmm... range finder?
On that note is flight Newtonian? Or is there "Spacedrag"

CalenLoki

Master endo
There is space jelly drag. And quite strong one.

Regarding VR - I wouldn't mind googles.

But I think controllers would make players do silly animations, like in all other VR games. So no thanks.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
There is space jelly drag. And quite strong one.

Regarding VR - I wouldn't mind googles.

But I think controllers would make players do silly animations, like in all other VR games. So no thanks.
Uh bummer, but probably for the best

Come again? Don't quite understand where you going with that.

I assure you that is quite the last thing you worry about while playing... or physical objects on that matter.
(But the physical objects make it very clear that they still care about you, if you catch my drift)