Ram Sleds... A possibility?

How effective would such a ship design be? I'm not particularly talking about large or medium ram ships I'm talking about small mobile, fighter/transport ships that would have an exceptional amount of armor in a sort of spike out ahead, and would pierce a ship at full force, letting boarding parties in. They would have to be able to survive the distance traveled, and being such a high threat could make it an easy target, not to mention that it may not even work when attempting to strike a larger ship. If not, then the only other solution I could think of would be supporting weaponry that would remove the outer layer of armor as you approach, or they would attempt to strike weak spots. Cost wise these ships would most likely be inexpensive, depending on its effectiveness, and multiple could probably be stored at a time for repeated deployment. I mean.. if all else fails, could always just be an explosive "drone" of sorts.

Unlucky

From the material that's been shown thus far, I would say ineffective in the current build of the game.

Your ships would collide, sustain damage, and bounce off. There's nothing holding your ship to theirs, except possibly a cargo beam if it's able to function in that manner.

Well we can dream then! Looking forward to see how/if people shall perform boarding parties!

Unlucky

I think boarding may be done currently by combining a range finder + cargo beam and some fancy work in YOLOL.

Range finder distance registers 0 from target -> activates cargo beam which should lock your pod/ship against its target.

I'm making an assumption that the cargo beam is a static line so your craft isn't going to get keelhauled or dragged by the target. But I could be wrong.

Azelous

Veteran endo
I feel like ram sleds are something that will need to be tested in game to consider viability.