Resistant Glass

Brushes

Well-known endo
Different glass types (or whatever windows are made of) that can have resistances that match the metals, i.e. Thermal, acid, kinetic... Electric?

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
There's no need for this. The only reason you'd ever want a thermal-proof glass is for the flamethrower, which won't be used against ships anyways. Useless. Kinetic? We don't have gravity. Useless. Acidic? Fuel isn't acidic. Useless. Electric? Electricity can't escape outside of the wires. Useless.

We have regular and bullet-resistant glass and that's enough.

Brushes

Well-known endo
There's no need for this. The only reason you'd ever want a thermal-proof glass is for the flamethrower, which won't be used against ships anyways. Useless. Kinetic? We don't have gravity. Useless. Acidic? Fuel isn't acidic. Useless. Electric? Electricity can't escape outside of the wires. Useless.

We have regular and bullet-resistant glass and that's enough.
Useless?? These are all damage types or expected environmental conditions and glass is made of two things in SB with as of yet unknown properties... Why be so quick to defend a pre-alpha game from content suggestions?

fuel is "corrosive" some things still react with glass IRL, i havent seen whether fuel in SB does or not so thought it would be useful to have fuel proof windows.

Last edited:

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Sorry to attack you so quick.
As far as we know, fuel and electricity doesn't exist outside of numbers on a screen when that screen is connected to a reactor. Has no physical behavior, therefore can't really interact with glass too much.
Kinetic glass might be interesting, although I can't see how you'd differentiate crash-damage (kinetic energy into a moon) from a ship part smacking your window.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Emmkay.;)

I havent found it but i thought it was discussed in one of the progress videos or maybe a combat vid. Here's corrosion info fir when we do find something to apply it to.
https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Damage#Corrosive_status

For kinetic i was just thinking of a hardened glass. In the materials section there is an "armored glass" mentioned which is probably exactly that.
Oh corrosive status basically means "burning", it only applies to damage by flamethrower and/or explosives. Not acid, sadly.
And yes, there's armored glass already in the game which I'm guessing is more like a seethrough plate in that it's more strudy.

Cavilier210

Master endo
Fuel is corrosive btw, and can leak. Just, as I said, glass is typically nonreactive to acids and bases. Its why we use it in chemistry.

Brushes

Well-known endo
Fuel is corrosive btw, and can leak. Just, as I said, glass is typically nonreactive to acids and bases. Its why we use it in chemistry.
"Typically"
We dont know what "glass" actually is in SB. It comes from dust and some sort of mineral. We're assuming glass is already nonreactive because that's how it usually is IRL but im just requesting that it is, or we get a version that is for SB... Rather than assuming.

Last edited:
"Typically"
We dont know what "glass" actually is in SB. It comes from dust and some sort of mineral. We're assuming glass is already nonreactive because that's how it usually is IRL but im just requesting that it is, or we get a version that is for SB... Rather than assuming.
Its made of the most common material in the game, just as real glass is made out of silicon in the real world. It can be structural, like glass in the real world. People have a certain expectation to the properties of what glass is. So why would they have a glass that doesn't act like glass in real life?

Norway174

Active endo
In a futuristic setting... I think we would have invented some sort of glass like metal. To be able to withstand the stresses of space travel.

Brushes

Well-known endo
Thats exactly what im getting at though. Aluminium is highly reactive. SB uses fictional materials with 'yet unknown' qualities so... you know... Someone should suggest different transparent materials that hold up to the various stresses in-game.;)