Rivets

Bolts make stealing/scrapping/salvaging too easy and are too one-dimensional gameplay-wise. Rivets would ONLY be for plates, even three thick. Bolts for everything else, and could optionally be used on plates (backwards compatibility and ease of access where desired). Rivets would require drilling which would take a long time from the outside, but less time from the inside, however still longer than bolts regardless. Designer makes rivets more viable for initial implementation, however "in the field" would require more effort to make "theft resistant".

Gives potential for more aesthetic texture and offers more incentive for plated ships and proper plate placement/alignment.

Facilitates cutting/torching plates for removal with a new tool (or with mining laser?) from outside, makes scrapping more blatant. Also facilitates more critical thinking for order of operations for part removal as depth of cut would need to be considered to not damage valuable stuff inside and/or make stuff explode in your face.

Make pickaxe take forever to do anything to plates (material dependent).

Make rivets more corrosive-resistant than bolts also would be interesting.

Dunno if devs or players have thought of this before, but figured I'd ask.

Thoughts? I like complex gameplay mechanics, let me know down below what you think. Can't wait to join you all in game. Peace.