Rogue Asteroid Event

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Many survival games have the concept of an "airdrop". This is a mechanic where a very visible, very desirable object slowly enters the world (say, by being dropped from an airplane) within vision of multiple players. The players are incentivized to converge on the objective to try to claim it before anyone else. Inevitably, this sparks PvP encounters where multiple groups stumble across each other and try to make off with the contents alive, creating an exciting risk vs. reward scenario. I present this Rogue Asteroid Event as an example of how this staple mechanic could be adapted to and contextualized within Starbase for fun and profit.

--

The Signal
- At periodic intervals (rare enough to make this event special), the game intelligently selects the event point for the Rogue Asteroid Event.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- The event point is selected so as to be some minimum travel distance from any station.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- The event point is selected so as to be near some players of different affiliations that could reach the point within a reasonable travel time.
- Once the event point is selected, a distinct visual effect spawns on that point (some bright flash/glow) with a large render range.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- The effect should draw attention to it, give a strong indication of where it is, and include an audio cue of some sort.

The Rogue Asteroid
- The Rogue Asteroid is spawned at the event point alongside the signal effect.
- The Rogue Asteroid is a large, very dense asteroid containing some rare and desirable raw contents within.
- The Rogue Asteroid has an especially thick shell that requires considerable time to pierce through for its raw contents.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- This is intended to stall/delay early arrivals and give latecomers a chance to contest the objective.

The Raw Contents
- The exact nature of the asteroid's contents are left to future design, but it should be unique to Rogue Asteroids and be worth a great deal of risk.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- One suggestion could be rare and limited-use pigments for ship paint colors with unique appearances, like glittering gold or chromatic effects.
- The raw contents of a Rogue Asteroid are useless on their own and must be processed or refined in a station to be of use to a player.
- When recovered from the Rogue Asteroid, the raw contents must be stored in a crate or Cargo Lock Frame for transport, not in player inventory.
- The raw contents are not large or heavy, and do not require special equipment or durability considerations to be carried by a ship.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- It is unreasonable to expect players to have a specialized ship ready at all times for this rare, spontaneous, and time-critical event.

The Pursuit
- The raw contents emit an interference field that reduces the effectiveness of nearby thrusters. This slows any ship carrying the raw contents.
- The raw contents are highly, but not harmfully, radioactive, and emit a strong signal that can be picked up by receivers on a well-known frequency.
- This signal can be used to pinpoint the location of the raw contents, whether they are still in the Rogue Asteroid, or are being carried on a ship.
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- This is intended to create a chase scenario where the party recovering the raw contents must fight off competitors tracking them for ambush.
- The raw contents are exceptionally durable, and can withstand the damage of even generator explosions (so blowing up the target is okay).
ᅠᅠᅠᅠ- It should not be possible for "sore losers" to destroy the raw contents to intentionally deny other players when defeated.

--

My intent with this feature skeleton is to create a situation where multiple adventurous players are informed of a desirable thing in the world, converge upon it, chance fighting one another for it, and then experience the rush of desperately bringing the reward back to a station knowing that they have a target painted on their head. I think this is a good way to emergently provide content for PvP-oriented players that is fully opt-in (non-PvP oriented players can simply ignore it), and creates lots of opportunities for unique and thrilling gameplay experiences. Of course, this should be one of many possible day-to-day PvP objectives (among others like piracy and faction wars), but having this tool in the toolbox is a good way to keep the fun going when players aren't always around to make content fully on their own.

Last edited:

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
I like this idea. Heck it might even be worthwhile for the loner/non PVP players too, imagine if one time a Rogue Asteroid spawn. You get close, and no one was around to snatch the goodies! Woo Hoo! Some nice loot and some (basic) material savage! Even that sounds fun. This can open up so many possibilities, and even spice up some battles.

A nice way to keep the pot stirring.

replace "rouge asteroid" with "comet" you'll be able to see them from far away because of the trail, maybe some super rare ones give off a signal but most should just be normal. the risk is that it will be moving, not to fast, maybe 40-70 m/s so it will take a skilled pilot not to crash and also means that players won't be able to "camp" the asteroid to take advantage of others (as you will be able to see thruster trails). Having a comet also fixes the spawning and despawning issues, simply spawn them super far away pointed near the planet or belt and if they get too far away just delete them.

Otherwise, I like your other suggestions.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
This is a really cool idea, I'd be interested in seeing what it might be like in game if something like this is added.

If it can be minmaxed it will. There will be some companies/factions with 24/7 capabilities. One appears a armada appears right behind it. This idea is good but loners/non-pvp players won't have a chance. Since irl communication exists the location will get out there. If only unaffiliated players can get these. Well then every company and faction with have appointed asteroid hunters. Where they are in a limbo of being and not being in a company/faction. Not that this is bad as I see Starbase as a social simulation being out of the authority will be hard but not impossible since space is vast. But just like on Earth most nations have a hold of large swaths of land and dictate how things are run through force. Loners and non-pvpers will find a way to profit from this maybe by being asteroid spotters for hire. So many possibilities of new markets and power struggles. I support this idea. But I would warn from relying on mechanic driven content that does not have player agency and involvement. The less outside influences the better is my mindset.

kiiyo

Veteran endo
replace "rouge asteroid" with "comet" you'll be able to see them from far away because of the trail, maybe some super rare ones give off a signal but most should just be normal. the risk is that it will be moving, not to fast, maybe 40-70 m/s so it will take a skilled pilot not to crash and also means that players won't be able to "camp" the asteroid to take advantage of others (as you will be able to see thruster trails). Having a comet also fixes the spawning and despawning issues, simply spawn them super far away pointed near the planet or belt and if they get too far away just delete them.

Otherwise, I like your other suggestions.
Great suggestion, one problem I could see happening is the computer struggling to calculate a comet trajectory through the field that won't hit any asteroids.

Then again, it could just carelessly barrel through the field, pushing asteroids around, leaving a cool hollow trail

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
the risk is that it will be moving, not to fast, maybe 40-70
This is a good expansion to the idea that also adds a time limit, forcing you to act before the objective expires and you lose your chance. Without a time limit, you run the risk of creating a stalemate where everyone parks around the objective but nobody wants to make the first move to seize it.