Shield implementation using semi-transparent arbitrarily placed panels tied to shield generators

I mentioned on the survey a while back I wanted shields, but I realized the way I'd like them to work might not be how others envisioned them. This isn't for or against shield bubbles, but more building a system to support multiple choices from shield walls, directional shields, shield zones that can be toggled, and bubble-like shield supports.

To do this, in the ship editor the player would be given multiple semi-transparent panels with different shapes and sizes with different colors representing the type of shield property. (At a high level I'm thinking defensive that blocks both directions and offensive that are one way. Different properties like how fast they toggle could be used or if they support collision). Ignoring the specifics, the player would be able to place these panels relative to a shield generator in the ship locking them into space. More shield panels would then be snapped together. These shield panels would be assigned a group name and could be reassigned to one or more generators.

As an example if you know your ship has a weakness around the engines you could place a shield generator in the ship then place panels in space building a barrier (acting like a skin or offset depending on the player's goal) blocking possible attack trajectories. The player could then bind a toggle for engine shields.

More specific implementation details would be that a shield type that supports collision can't be toggled if it intersects any geometry. So if a person builds a shield bubble from a type without collision they could land and activate a shield that clips the landing pad. Also each shield group must be made of panels that are snapped to each other. (Forces more logical design if shield generators only support a limited number of groups, say 4 each or more depending on different shield generator types).

Burnside in another post brought up things like shield capacitors and heat/cooling. I don't have strong views, but I think that shields should have infrastructure and strengths/weaknesses with their configuration. A small ship might have other priorities for energy and components that are more beneficial while a medium sized ship might have the room and power for more configuration choices. The volume of shield panels and type being restricted by the shield generator I think are key. On a large ship with a large shield you'd need to assign multiple generators to a shield group.

More shield type properties would be how close to the ship the shield panel could be. For people that want to make full or partial shield bubbles they could use this type to build an offset shield far from the ship's skin possibly allowing smaller ships to fly into them for protection. (Not sure people's goals with shield bubbles).

Also minor point I'd weight the energy demand by the volume and not the area of the panels. This would probably promote more expected shield designs rather than checkerboards or something weird looking.

Something else to consider would be having sliders/check boxes and letting people choose properties for shields and have the color change in predictable ways. If there are scanners the information could be displayed maybe especially if only certain types are visible without attacking them.

For controls the user would be able to tie the scripting and keys to shields. It would be nice to be able to tie shield toggles to damage sensors. So if you have turret shields they could turn on or if someone tries to target a large ship's engines then energy would be routed to protect them. Same for things like if missiles are detected at a certain range or direction one could script shields to protect key components.

I'm not going to talk about balance which would need to be tested with feedback in regards to other choices. I'm more into tradeoffs so I'm hoping the game offers a number of components for ship builders.

Thoughts?

Burnside

Master endo
So... field-based structural integrity for special transparent plating only. It's shield bubbles without shield bubbles- more or less the equivalent of a semantic argument. Interesting mechanic using plate integrity instead of direct power-based damage mitigation, but I'd vote no, it's still a shield system and I don't think any shield system should be present in the game. Am I to assume that "broken" shield plates will eventually reform or something?

It's shield bubbles without shield bubbles- more or less the equivalent of a semantic argument.
Well a shield bubble like others described would just make a ellipsoid or skin around the ship automatically. While you could use large panels to do this the idea would be it's not an efficient use of the system and might require a lot of shield generators and infrastructure tied to single shield group. You'd be using a lot of ship resources for defense.

Am I to assume that "broken" shield plates will eventually reform or something?
They'd work on a group basis. So if you build forward shields made of multiple connected plates and they're hit the whole shield group and associated shield generators would be effected. Depending on the damage they'd overheat or get damaged and would go offline for a time.

I think this could exist along-side field-integrity generators together or with tradeoffs. I imagined those being used on bulkheads and internal components, but I do see the overlap when used on outer plating and components.

Burnside

Master endo
mm, if the plates are just a sort of alternative to having a unified surface for the shield and to define border/surface limits on each individual generator, then it is just another shield system

it has given me an idea, what if a shield's protective surface was some kind of alternating interference pattern made of rotating layers that created small semi-random gaps at varying points and times? damage to the shield would spread the patterns on each layer out more and more, creating larger gaps where the interference pattern occurred. You're not really applying damage to a shield system so much as trying to overwhelm the shield's matrix and/or land lucky shots through the shield

I thought of another shield. The ship's shield consists of countless small shields and is generated by the energy of the ship. Attacking the corresponding area, the shield of the corresponding area will consume energy. Attacking a shield generator will invalidate the shield in that area. This may alleviate the vulnerability of the ship's armor to a certain extent. This can even be used as a structural strengthening stand, helping the spacecraft to strengthen the structure and to withstand greater strength.

Burnside

Master endo
a sort of cell-section shield... kind of like the idea of a generator's coverage zone shrinking as it takes damage and having to "re-extend" as it charges back to full strength, a buffer system of enhancers could store shield energy like a capacitor and then let it flow out as the shield itself takes damage, so the shield section stays at full coverage until the buffers run out and then shrinks under continued assault, buffer upgrades could generate heat each time they store or send out shield energy as well as a resting cost in power and heat just to operate