Ship identification

I'm wondering how ship and generally object identification will work in the game. Will there be a floating text above ships as in classic MMO, or will it be something more realistic where if a the ship's hull isn't marked and its transponder or similar isn't broadcasting any identification, you simply don't know whose ship that is? I personally would love that, had no end of fun in Space engineers turning off suit and ship broadcasts before hitting a base or ship that had absolutely no idea who was coming for it. It could also enrich PvP quite a bit to have such a system, especially with factions. I think it's something like that, I think I remember reading somewhere in FAQ or forums or discord that you can fake your ID with a stolen transponder, or maybe even just stolen code.

What about the player robots, do they broadcast player names at all times? Or is it something you can switch on and off? If you are boarding or being boarded and you stop broadcasting for stealth, do you just have to recognize your buddy's paintjob to avoid teamkilling him? That would be pretty fun considering the devs hinted at a pretty demanding respawn mechanic.

Last edited:
I think its probably transponders the developer battles haven't shown any names above ships or players but that could have just been editing or they turned them off to make the battle look nice but in all their videos there hasn't been any name tags so it might just be done by transponders although name tags would be useful to identify players but they also had a video on sabotage and if you have a name tag then you can't do that so probs no name tags

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
The devs are planning to implement a transponder system that identifies ships that are broadcasting a transponder signal by pulling their information from a central ship registry and marks them on the HUD. But it will be possible turn your transponder signal off, and the plan is that they can be spoofed by chopping off a ship's transponder and installing it on another ship. I haven't seen any information regarding robot name tags.

Mci

Active endo
As far as I'm aware on the name tag front, you won't know who someone is unless they send you their CV

I want an advanced late game screen that you can place on a window that adds an overview to all ships/exos in range.